2015 AO "At Home" Retreat Registration
Announcements/RE: 2015 AO "At Home" Retreat Registration
(06-19-2015, 10:02 PM)cobweb Wrote: Remington is in Jasper County which is on Central Time, the same time as Chicago. I live in Indiana and I didn't know that until someone else asked earlier in this post (or another one about the conference). I hadn't known what county Remington was in.

http://www.timeanddate.com/time/us/indiana-time.html

Do other states have as messed up time zones and time history as Indiana? Most of my life Indiana was not observing DST until 2006. There was a debate about whether we should be in Eastern or Central. The IN government chose Eastern except for a few counties. Then the federal Dept of Transportation stepped in and changed which time zones some of the counties were. I think DST is kind of silly myself but I also feel IN is too far west for Eastern. (OK, mini-rant over.)
I'm so sorry everyone. I don't know whether to delete the previous post or to add a correction.

WendiC has corrected me and let me know that the timeline runs through Jasper county and Remington is in the Eastern Time Zone NOT Central.
Whitney
DH (36 years), Ivy 17yo dd in Y12, and two grown daughters
Does anyone know what time zone super8 is in? I *thought* the lady told me central...which will be very confusing if the church is in eastern. :o
{ l i t t l e  b y  l i t t l e } with three sweet girls in peoria, illinois
Let me get this straight...the town of Remington is cut in half with one being eastern time and the other central time? Am I understanding correctly?

Eta: ok...got it...the COUNTY is cut in half...so does that mean that Remington (the whole town, including the super 8) in on eastern time?
Karla [Heart <3] Married to my best friend, mom to 10 year old Shark (ASD) and to 6 year old Rapunzel (NF1).  Enjoying year 4 and year 1!
I looked it up on the internet and was shocked to see that even on the internet it's wrong. That shouldn't have surprised me, though. I live in the county and GPS typically takes people five miles in the wrong direction and dumps them in the middle of nowhere when they plug in my address, and what GPS identifies as the name of the main street near us is not the name on the actual street signs for that road.

It IS super confusing, believe me, even to some of us who live here. Remington is in Jasper country. But Jasper county is not all on the same time zone.

The time line is just a couple miles north of Remington. ALL of Remington town proper itself is in the Eastern time zone, the same time zone as Lafayette, *NOT* Central/ the same time zone as Chicago. There are people who live so close to the timeline that their guests' phones freely switch back and forth while they visit.

Now, this is a bizarre little quirky pocket of Indiana. It is entirely credible to me that Super 8 might have just decided that since they get a lot of Chicago traffic, they just will *choose* to operate on the same time zone as Chicago, timelines notwithstanding. It's equally credible that the lady who told somebody Remington was on central time didn't have any idea what she was talking about. I could believe almost anything. Really, your best bet for the Super8 time is to call them and ask them to look at the lobby clock and tell you what time it is- and that will only work if they actually moved the clocks last time the times changed.=)

Most people don't even *say* central or eastern around here- if you're talking to a local about an event, and they want to clarify which time zone, they ask, "Fast time or slow time?"
I never can remember which is which.

As confusing as it is, up until just a couple years ago all the rest of Indiana didn't do daylight savings at all, including Remington. But the rest of Jasper county did- so six months out of the year the county was all in the same time zone and six months we weren't. Now we just never are, and, um, that's better?
Wendi C, Advisory, mom to 7, grandma to 14
Education for All, CM Journal/e-zine
Blog: WendiWanders
The following 2 users Like WendiC's post:
  • carpeaeternitatem, juliebugg
(06-19-2015, 02:12 PM)Primeperiwinkle Wrote: Um, thank you! That is nice. However, I am slightly a control freak of possibly epic proportions who might possibly be freaking out about brownies, mixing, supplies, oven temperature, aluminum pans or what-have-you at that approximate time and wouldn't want to accidentally start yelling at any helpful people who may or may not be passing through... So... Um.

I'll just hug you at the conference! ;)

About the aluminum pans- there is only one grocery store in Remington, an IGA.  It's small. It's (IMO) mostly overpriced.  I don't know that they do not have the right sized disposable baking pans, but I don't know that they *do*, either.  There is also a Dollar General or Family Dollar in town, and they might carry them. 

Rensselaer, just ten minutes north, has 3 grocery stores, one of which is unspeakable, but the other two would definitely have whatever you needed (Sav-A-Lot, and STrack and Van Til's are the two I'd recommend, and there is also one of those dollar type stores and a Walmart). 
The following 1 user Likes WendiC's post:
  • Primeperiwinkle
(06-19-2015, 10:02 PM)cobweb Wrote: Remington is in Jasper County which is on Central Time, the same time as Chicago. I live in Indiana and I didn't know that until someone else asked earlier in this post (or another one about the conference). I hadn't known what county Remington was in.

http://www.timeanddate.com/time/us/indiana-time.html

Do other states have as messed up time zones and time history as Indiana? Most of my life Indiana was not observing DST until 2006. There was a debate about whether we should be in Eastern or Central. The IN government chose Eastern except for a few counties. Then the federal Dept of Transportation stepped in and changed which time zones some of the counties were. I think DST is kind of silly myself but I also feel IN is too far west for Eastern. (OK, mini-rant over.)

It's more messed up than that!  While most of Indiana did not observe DST until 2006, most of Jasper county and, I think, White county (the one just north of Jasper county), have *always* observed DST. 

But the rest of Indiana doesn't know that about us. I get it, we're small and having nothing happening here except for corn growing and occasional floods.   But I can't tell you how many times guests visiting from other parts of Indiana have showed up a full hour early to my house because they had no idea that we were in a different time zone.  And I'm, um, not one of those organized people who is ready an hour early.  I 'm usually not even *dressed* an hour early. 
Announcements/2015 AO "At Home" Retreat Registration
We have "fast vs slow time" here, too, because my county is central, but the closest larger city in the next county, where many go to work, is Eastern, so they work in fast time and live in slow time :)
Laura & sons, yr 10 and yr 0  [cheesy grin]
Blog, Pinterest, FB , IG, Goodreads
(06-20-2015, 05:30 AM)WendiC Wrote: About the aluminum pans- there is only one grocery store in Remington, an IGA.  It's small. It's (IMO) mostly overpriced.  I don't know that they do not have the right sized disposable baking pans, but I don't know that they *do*, either.  There is also a Dollar General or Family Dollar in town, and they might carry them. 

Rensselaer, just ten minutes north, has 3 grocery stores, one of which is unspeakable, but the other two would definitely have whatever you needed (Sav-A-Lot, and STrack and Van Til's are the two I'd recommend, and there is also one of those dollar type stores and a Walmart). 

I will have all that stuff already. No worries, thank you though.
Katie
Laughing fellow rover in Spain, stumbling towards Christ with a hubby and two boys that are more precious than gold. (Currently in Y7 and Y5)
The following 1 user Likes Primeperiwinkle's post:
  • WendiC

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Registration is OPEN! Phyllis 103 513,420 11-17-2018, 05:20 AM
Last Post: Barb Gifford
  [emoji106]#AOCM2019 Registration open again! Donna-Jean 5 39,877 11-03-2018, 12:15 AM
Last Post: Lani
  #AOCM2019 Registration to continue Donna-Jean 0 15,853 11-02-2018, 01:14 PM
Last Post: Donna-Jean
  Registration to Re-Open for #AOCM2019 at 6 pm Central Time! Donna-Jean 16 94,273 11-02-2018, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Dawn Duran
  Christmas Break 2015 LeslieNoelani 2 47,150 12-18-2015, 02:33 PM
Last Post: phoebebopeep
  Forum Maintenance - November 2015 MelisaH 8 119,475 11-10-2015, 02:14 AM
Last Post: COMama
  Thank you to all who made the 2015 At Home retreat complete and special KarenG 3 62,161 08-02-2015, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Megan Hoyt
  AO Retreat 2015: 'At Home' Jeanne Webb 65 905,983 07-08-2015, 05:57 AM
Last Post: NaomiG
  Forum Update June 2015 MelisaH 1 38,383 06-11-2015, 07:32 AM
Last Post: jmoore2001us@yahoo.com