Want to Connect With AO on Facebook?
Announcements/Want to Connect With AO on Facebook?
I turned off notifications and unfollowed AO FB. Which I did with several (almost all) groups in an effort to tame my Facebook wall. So if you want me to see something on AO FB-land, tag me (Amy Gregersen Hines). It was either purge my "wall" or drop Facebook. Plus, I got so tired of the same question over and over ... Some times only 24 hours apart.

Facebook is like Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Amy, who wishes to be a hobbit :)
Two homeschool graduates (DS20, DS19)
Currently homeschooling (DS16, DD13)
Announcements/RE: Want to Connect With AO on Facebook?
(10-06-2015, 02:13 PM)Dawn Girl Wrote: I have had the opportunity to join the AO Facebook page, and I must admit, I have no idea what I'm doing there.  This is a bit of a plea from a place of severe ignorance.

The Forum has order...Facebook is chaos.  

It resembles to some degree the "View Today's Posts" page, but it has no forums.  How does anyone find anything?

But maybe I'm just missing something.

Is there any Rhyme or Reason to Facebook?  Does anyone have any tips or insights into usefully using the AO Facebook page?  I know I will remain there as a lurker for the foreseeable future.  (Our family facebook account technically belongs to my husband, and I promised I wouldn't post comments or make any friends.)  

I'm so thankful for the forum, and I don't see myself committing much time or resources to the AO Facebook page (especially when I have a moratorium).  But maybe I'm just old, set in my ways, and adverse to change.  Maybe I felt just as lost when I started using the Forum, but I don't remember.  

Please, either convince me of the amazing merits of the Facebook page or reassure me it is OK to just to remain here in the Forum.

Taking your remarks in order:

Yes. It's chaos.

Nobody does find anything- for the most part, they don't even look, hence the repetitive questions.

The only thing I think you missed is that some people apparently prefer chaos to order.  

No, there is no rhyme or reason.

The only tip I would offer is to either A. stay away for your own sanity, or B. see the FB account as an opportunity to reach out to newbies, to people who won't try the forum, to be a friendly AO face in the chaos.  And I don't think anybody here has to feel obligated to do B- I'd much rather most of you were making the forum continue to be the great place it is so that we gently redirect people from FB to the forum there's good content and community here for them.

C- another option, glean ideas for things to post about here in the forum, although this one is of some value, too, the chaotic, random nature of the FB group means you're really just standing in the path of blowing thistledown and hoping to catch a good seed in your hand rather than up your nose.

It is more than okay to just remain in the forum. It's better for most of our members to direct their efforts here.  So you're good- your instincts are good, and while you might be old and crotchety and all that, an aversion to FB is not evidence of that.
Wendi C, Advisory, mom to 7, grandma to 14
Education for All, CM Journal/e-zine
Blog: WendiWanders
I feel less guilty posting pictures to FB than on the forum. I may be wrong, but I've always worked under the notion that file storage was more limited on the forum and so thought I'd just as soon burden the FB server. So that's how I use FB.  [I'm just a little angel.]
Kathy W.~Northwest by North
"The teacher who allows his scholars the freedom of the city of books is at liberty to be their guide, philosopher and friend; and is no long the mere instrument of forcible intellectual feeding."
Vol. 6
The following 6 users Like Kathy W.'s post:
  • laurke, lklivingston, phoebebopeep, Purposeful Abnegation, Robyn Whipp, WendiC
(10-07-2015, 05:43 AM)Kathy W. Wrote: I feel less guilty posting pictures to FB than on the forum. I may be wrong, but I've always worked under the notion that file storage was more limited on the forum and so thought I'd just as soon burden the FB server. So that's how I use FB.  [I'm just a little angel.]

My understanding was that posting pictures didn't use any file storage since we host them on outside sites (like Photobucket), at least for regular members.
Dawn, Georgia
"Knowledge is love and light and vision."  Helen Keller
Blogging at the CMER Blog.
The following 2 users Like Dawn Rhymer's post:
  • MelisaH, phoebebopeep
To answer the original question, No. I hate Facebook. Thanks to whoever is out there putting on a good face for AO, I appreciate you, but FB stresses me out because it feels so fake to me.
Jessie (Y12, Y9, Y6, Y3, Y0 - can't quite bring myself to use pink)
The following 2 users Like Jeff's Jessie's post:
  • Amy Jo Hines, phoebebopeep
(10-06-2015, 02:13 PM)Dawn Girl Wrote: The Forum has order...Facebook is chaos.  

Please, either convince me of the amazing merits of the Facebook page or reassure me it is OK to just to remain here in the Forum.

It's okay to just remain here in the Forum. There's at least one Advisory member who prefers the order of the forum. [Oopsies! I'm so embarrassed!]
"Our aim in Education is to give a Full Life." -- Mom to 4 AO Graduates, Grandma to 3
"Practically, nearly, almost and in all ways visible to normal mortals Invincible" (due to the diplomatic immunity of Admin.) [cheesy grin]
The following 2 users Like LeslieNoelani's post:
  • Dawn Rhymer, MelisaH
So I feel like the forum is for "serious inquiries only" because they are here for, like, ever. and Facebook is quicker/less serious/more transient. If I have just a quick question, how does the forum feel about that? I can't tell! How do we feel about this?

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk
{ l i t t l e  b y  l i t t l e } with three sweet girls in peoria, illinois
The following 2 users Like juliebugg's post:
  • Amy Jo Hines, phoebebopeep
We love quick questions on the forum!
Kathy 
For we are God’s handiwork, recreated in Christ Jesus, that we may do those good works which God predestined for us, that we should walk in them.
The following 6 users Like lklivingston's post:
  • Amy Jo Hines, carpeaeternitatem, Dawn Rhymer, Linz{at}home, MelisaH, phoebebopeep
Bring on the quick questions at the forum! We take easy questions, harder questions, long answers, short answers, and every now and again, recipes if you are inspired in chit-chat, lol!
The following 7 users Like MelisaH's post:
  • COMama, Dawn Rhymer, HeatherEllen, Jeff's Jessie, Linz{at}home, phoebebopeep, WendiC
(10-07-2015, 01:23 PM)juliebugg Wrote: So I feel like the forum is for "serious inquiries only" because they are here for, like, ever. and Facebook is quicker/less serious/more transient. If I have just a quick question, how does the forum feel about that? I can't tell! How do we feel about this?

If you only knew how much we talked about Dallas, and Twinkies, and The Dukes of Hazzard (which seriously came up in a thread today, I think)...and if I hadn't been skimming, I would know if that was spelled with one or two Z's. And serious AO stuff, too.
Dawn, Georgia
"Knowledge is love and light and vision."  Helen Keller
Blogging at the CMER Blog.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Have you liked our Facebook page? Brandy Vencel 13 238,206 12-18-2012, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Dawn Duran