AO Retreat 2015: 'At Home'
Announcements/AO Retreat 2015: 'At Home'
(04-01-2015, 10:31 AM)WendiC Wrote: The cost of the actual conference (hotel not included) should not be over 150. What we're trying to do is see if we can make it lower and still cover travel and other expenses.

Great! I have that much saved already and will earmark it.
Laura & sons, yr 10 and yr 0  [cheesy grin]
Blog, Pinterest, FB , IG, Goodreads
Announcements/RE: AO Retreat 2015: 'At Home'
Hi Ladies,
I am very new to CM - this being said, I have some "silly" questions. I have just found out about CM and really believe it's a great fit for our family (5yr old, 2yr old and one on the way). I had every intention to go to the Great HomeSchool Convention next weekend in Cincinnati, OH to find out more about CM...touch/feel/look through options.

Today I found this forum and website. I saw the announcement for 'At Home' retreat. Is there more information about it? I saw dates (end of July) but I'm wondering which one (either the Homeschool Conference this weekend or the upcoming AO Retreat) would be a better suite for me to attend. Cost details?

I am due with baby #3 at the end of August, and the AO retreat is about 4 hrs drive for me...so this may factor into my decision as well.

Any advice? Details to help me decide? Again...this is all new but I'm getting excited! Thanks!
(04-05-2015, 11:02 AM)GinaMarie Wrote: Hi Ladies,
I am very new to CM - this being said, I have some "silly" questions. I have just found out about CM and really believe it's a great fit for our family (5yr old, 2yr old and one on the way). I had every intention to go to the Great HomeSchool Convention next weekend in Cincinnati, OH to find out more about CM...touch/feel/look through options.

Today I found this forum and website. I saw the announcement for 'At Home' retreat. Is there more information about it? I saw dates (end of July) but I'm wondering which one (either the Homeschool Conference this weekend or the upcoming AO Retreat) would be a better suite for me to attend. Cost details?

I am due with baby #3 at the end of August, and the AO retreat is about 4 hrs drive for me...so this may factor into my decision as well.

Any advice? Details to help me decide? Again...this is all new but I'm getting excited! Thanks!
The AO conference will give you much more information about CM.  I have heard great things about the Cincinnati convention (I live near Indy and tons of other homeschoolers I know attend that one) but I get the impression it is very large (good or bad) and that it would meet the needs of the generic homeschooler.  I think it might also be difficult as a new Charlotte Mason mom to determine what is really CM and what is not.  There is more than one curriculum who touts themselves to have CM-style stuff when in actuality they do only one small thing the same as CM.  I remember seeing this myself as a new CM mom at the Indiana state convention years ago. 

Personally, I would spend this time learning about CM and would skip the Cincinnati convention.  This forum as well as the main AO site has tons of information to help support you in your journey.  Since your oldest is five, you have some time before officially starting lessons.  Delve into learning about CM and if you can make the AO conference, great!
Moderator of Form IV, V & VI, CM Vol I, and History & Geography

The following 3 users Like Joy's post:
  • Christy Hissong, clay1416, Dawn Duran
Announcements/AO Retreat 2015: 'At Home'
Oh... You've got me thinking, Wendi!
Quote:That offer was super sweet of him, though. Wow. What a nice son.<br />
<br />
You know, we're just 45 minutes from Indiana Beach.... You could maybe come up early on Friday and do the amusement park there maybe?????<br />
<br />
In our family, though the actual specific day is not as important as the doing something roughly that general time period. I know other families the specific day is super important.<br/>
I don't know if the day is as important as the 'event'; never really thought about it. He is excited about the specialness of it but so far he hasn't done the planning he is supposed to have done. I'm thinking an early July 'trip' may work. Oh now I'm excited again!

Apologies for any typos. Composed on a very small screen.
Blossom- AO Grads, '15 & '17. Children are born persons
Online classesBooks: Lulu and BlurbSet Your Feet, book 'reviews'

Oh my goodness. This is beyond exciting. I was able to attend the one and only AO conference in TX many years ago. I currently live 5 hours away from Indiana, so I can attend. We are still plugging away with AO. I have never met another AO mom in real life, since starting our homeschooling journey. I now have an excuse to purchase Karen's book so I can read it before the conference. This announcement has made my day.
Jennifer in  Mo- Mom to 3 graduates, 13 Yr old, and a 6yr old
The following 7 users Like jwillis4mo's post:
  • *blue*j*, Christy Hissong, Dawn Duran, Jeanne Webb, Lizzie Smith, NorthLaurel, WendiC
I am so excited!!! It's a long drive from TN, but my husband said I might get to go, depending on how much it costs. Yay!
Lisa R
Married to Dan, Mommy of ds 9/05, dd 10/09, dd 9/11, dd 8/13, and ds 1/16.
2 Timothy 1:7 - For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
(03-19-2015, 09:17 PM)Jeanne Webb Wrote: [Image: Photo%25252020150319145953233.jpg]

The AO Advisory/Auxiliary is delighted to invite you to join us 'At Home' at the 2015 AO Retreat. [Whoopee! smilie]

The Registration Form as well as a list of local accommodation options will be coming shortly, followed by the schedule. We do hope to see you there!

Any updates? Cost? Times? Or when do you think you'll have this info. Just don't want to miss it! :)
(04-12-2015, 12:38 PM)bjstill Wrote: Any updates? Cost? Times? Or when do you think you'll have this info. Just don't want to miss it! :)

LOL I doubt when this is up ANYONE will be able to miss it! It'll be the most active thread or viewed post of all time. That's my guess ;)
Blossom- AO Grads, '15 & '17. Children are born persons
Online classesBooks: Lulu and BlurbSet Your Feet, book 'reviews'

The following 7 users Like NorthLaurel's post:
  • *blue*j*, Dawn Duran, dmccalled4, HillaryJ, Janice, MelisaH, Willow Skyrider
I am so bummed that I can't attend. It seems that most CM conferences are so far away from me most of the time (on the other side of the country) :-( It would be nice if someone could do a CM here in the NW. You all have a wonderful time!
(04-17-2015, 01:47 AM)jens2boys Wrote: I am so bummed that I can't attend.  It seems that most CM conferences are so far away from me most of the time (on the other side of the country)  :-(  It would be nice if someone could do a CM here in the NW.  You all have a wonderful time!

Someone is! Have you not seen Kathy W's threads for the Pacific Northwest Conference? You may be able to find info in this thread. 
“When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”~Erasmus
Moderating in History & Geography and Physical Education
The following 4 users Like Dawn Duran's post:
  • Amy Jo Hines, Jeanne Webb, laurke, MelisaH

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christmas Break 2015 LeslieNoelani 2 47,058 12-18-2015, 02:33 PM
Last Post: phoebebopeep
  Forum Maintenance - November 2015 MelisaH 8 119,277 11-10-2015, 02:14 AM
Last Post: COMama
  Thank you to all who made the 2015 At Home retreat complete and special KarenG 3 62,046 08-02-2015, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Megan Hoyt
  2015 AO "At Home" Retreat Registration LeslieNoelani 37 531,836 06-20-2015, 06:07 AM
Last Post: Primeperiwinkle
  Forum Update June 2015 MelisaH 1 38,329 06-11-2015, 07:32 AM
Last Post: jmoore2001us@yahoo.com