Year 9 Science
Announcements/RE: Year 9 Science
(10-06-2016, 03:05 AM)lklivingston Wrote: Sorry, Wendi! Thanks for clarifying.

Phshaw. No worries. I was all over the map in the discussions, literally thinking it through as I typed, so I think you did well to figure something out from my mess of stream of consciousness thinking!
Wendi C, Advisory, mom to 7, grandma to 14
Education for All, CM Journal/e-zine
Blog: WendiWanders
The following 1 user Likes WendiC's post:
  • lklivingston
I hope I'm not too late to help test-drive Year 9 science?! I'm pulling my 9th grade daughter out of a classical program's Apologia Biology course that I enrolled her in against my better judgment (it has been a good confirmation for me of how very much our souls are aligned with CM methods even if the info being taught is great...it's all about the how). Anyway, I'm hoping to do a quick shift in direction with her and would love to get in on the Year 9 plans. I have degrees in biology and nursing and LOVE this stuff!
The following 1 user Likes RVMama's post:
  • Dawn Duran
(10-07-2016, 01:18 AM)RVMama Wrote: I hope I'm not too late to help test-drive Year 9 science?! I'm pulling my 9th grade daughter out of a classical program's Apologia Biology course that I enrolled her in against my better judgment (it has been a good confirmation for me of how very much our souls are aligned with CM methods even if the info being taught is great...it's all about the how). Anyway, I'm hoping to do a quick shift in direction with her and would love to get in on the Year 9 plans. I have degrees in biology and nursing and LOVE this stuff!

You don't need to do anything at all to help testdrive year 9 and you can dive in anytime- Kathy started a series of posts in the forum for science in the upper years. Just dive in anytime with a comment or question.

To help review for the upper years, see Kathy's post with the page images above and send her a PM with your reviews.
Wendi C, Advisory, mom to 7, grandma to 14
Education for All, CM Journal/e-zine
Blog: WendiWanders
The following 1 user Likes WendiC's post:
  • lklivingston
Is there any kind of schedule, or do I need to look in individual threads?

Is the only change for a "lite" year to use just the one Atkins book?
Amy, who wishes to be a hobbit :)
Two homeschool graduates (DS20, DS19)
Currently homeschooling (DS16, DD13)
There is no kind of schedule, as the booklist isn't even nailed down yet. Individual threads will have user comments on various books. I don't think any suggestion for a Lite year is available yet.
Kathy 
For we are God’s handiwork, recreated in Christ Jesus, that we may do those good works which God predestined for us, that we should walk in them.
Okay. I'm still trying to get a big picture, although I did browse through the individual threads. Right now I have 1 science per day, would that continue? Something like day 1: biology, day 2: Signs & Seasons, day 3: Plant life, day 4: Chemistry, day 5: natural history.

Sent from my SM-G550T2 using Tapatalk
The following 1 user Likes Amy Jo Hines's post:
  • laurke
Announcements/Year 9 Science
After months of research I decided to utilize Holt McDougal Biology for 9th grade. We're almost thru the text now. We also subscribed to MEL chemistry.

If your choice of science is heavily biased on the young earth creationism/intelligent design end of the spectrum, could you please note that? There are people out there like myself that aren't young earth creationists, and it would be much easier if I knew at the onset to ignore the science suggested.
Mother of a little over a half dozen, Eastern Orthodox, knitter, beginning homesteader
Miss O: 2001 (AO Year 9) Woo: 2005 (AO Year 5) Ollie: 2007 (AO Year 3) 
Ari: 2009 (AO Year 1) Taz: 2012, Nash: 2013, Miss Kitty: 2015
The following 3 users Like Quinault's post:
  • boywrangler, Jenna Dilts, Mrs. A
Quinault, I reviewed a good number of the books on the Year 9 list as part of the sub group to offer a non-text alternative science for the upper years. Body by Design is the only explicitly creationist science book I suggested, out of respect for the spectrum of beliefs represented by users of the AO curriculum. I can guarantee you that I am not young earth creationist, and I recommend that if you are interested in science without a textbook, you check out the recommended books. If you are interested in good textbook recommendations that are not Apologia, feel free to message me. 

Amy Jo, that's how I organized science. I had toyed with the idea of doing a term of physical science, a term of biology, and a term of earth/space science - with nature study throughout. Either would work, I think.
Kathy W.~Northwest by North
"The teacher who allows his scholars the freedom of the city of books is at liberty to be their guide, philosopher and friend; and is no long the mere instrument of forcible intellectual feeding."
Vol. 6
The following 5 users Like Kathy W.'s post:
  • Amy Jo Hines, Janice, lklivingston, Mrs. A, nimmyr
(05-11-2017, 12:37 PM)Kathy W. Wrote: Amy Jo, that's how I organized science. I had toyed with the idea of doing a term of physical science, a term of biology, and a term of earth/space science - with nature study throughout. Either would work, I think.

One per term would make seasonal aspects easier. Especially with botany (I have a cat who destroys all indoor plants) and astronomy. I will have to think about this.

I just feel like science is making me crazy. I'm not doing it right, I'm not organized enough. I really need a guide book or more time. I almost want to combine my older two boys, 18 mos/1 grade apart, and try to figure this all out together. They are already doing Signs & Seasons, Fabre, and Adventures with a Microscope together.
The following 2 users Like Amy Jo Hines's post:
  • Friederike, Janice
I am terrible at getting much science done outside of reading, and we homeschool through chronic illness. We will be using year nine, picking and choosing what will work for us, so if you need an opinion from the lighter user, Im happy to join. (never mind. I see the above post now on the group for upper levels.)
The following 2 users Like Gwiz9000's post:
  • Friederike, LeslieNoelani

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some Bible & Science Changes Donna-Jean 37 52,686 04-05-2023, 04:34 AM
Last Post: Mariel
  Folk Songs for the 2021-22 year!!! WendiC 10 36,390 08-11-2021, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Lani
  Folksongs for term 2 of the 2020-2021 Year WendiC 5 26,454 06-09-2021, 10:54 PM
Last Post: busyncmama
  Extra Plutarch year will be added AnneWhite 7 35,481 09-04-2020, 08:08 AM
Last Post: AnneWhite
  Folksongs for term 1, 2020/21 year WendiC 1 14,376 08-06-2020, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Genial
  Year 8 Napoleon's Buttons lklivingston 9 107,261 08-02-2020, 06:23 AM
Last Post: verkom
  Year 1 Guidebook lklivingston 4 25,977 07-16-2020, 01:43 AM
Last Post: Saejstrobel
  Year 6 Bible Change lklivingston 0 12,900 10-16-2019, 07:55 AM
Last Post: lklivingston
  Year 7 Free Read Change lklivingston 10 139,013 04-17-2019, 03:00 AM
Last Post: lklivingston
  Year 9 Booklist and Schedule Change lklivingston 13 176,852 09-16-2017, 08:42 AM
Last Post: mama2lots