Geography Addition: Years 4-6
Announcements/RE: Geography Addition: Years 4-6
An Amazon review says that What the World Eats is a kid version of Hungry Planet. It also says the books are very, very similar, but Hungry Planet is geared for an older crowd. This may not be accurate, but it's one reviewer's take on the two books.
Mom to dd14 (y9), dd12 (y7), dd 10 (y4), dd8 (y2/3), ds6 (y0/1), ds4 & dd4. Learning to homeschool with busy twins ;) ...loving AO!
From what I can tell, What the World Eats has less on each page to read, but it's not childish. It may be a shorter book as well. This amount of reading, if it was assigned, would be appealing to my oldest and my youngest, but not because it's childish.
Please note this refers to a DIFFERENT book, not the ones listed in AO: there's another one called "What I Eat" by the same authors but I am not using it. It includes a bare-chested lady in a supermarket, a lady who drinks urine, and a 23-year-old who sleeps at his computer in an internet cafe. Thought I would post my findings here in case others were pondering it without seeing it.
Aussie Mum of four; trusting God - "for in my need, His power is displayed." Youngest is AO1 in 2020
The following 3 users Like BecTasmanian's post:
  • MichelleChoe, phoebebopeep, Subversive Gardener
Please don't believe that all Australians eat like the family in "What the World Eats" :)
Aussie Mum of four; trusting God - "for in my need, His power is displayed." Youngest is AO1 in 2020
The following 4 users Like BecTasmanian's post:
  • Colby1, Heather, Lifeasamomof4, phoebebopeep
(05-01-2017, 08:22 PM)Tasmanian Wrote: Please note this refers to a DIFFERENT book, not the ones listed in AO: there's another one called "What I Eat" by the same authors but I am not using it.  It includes a bare-chested lady in a supermarket, a lady who drinks urine, and a 23-year-old who sleeps at his computer in an internet cafe.  Thought I would post my findings here in case others were pondering it without seeing it.

Goodness! That is very good to know!
The following 1 user Likes verkom's post:
  • phoebebopeep
(05-01-2017, 08:30 PM)Tasmanian Wrote: Please don't believe that all Australians eat like the family in "What the World Eats" :)

As long as everyone outside the US realizes we don't all eat like the book portrays for us! Granted, many do from what I've gathered watching other shoppers' carts. But, there is a good subset of the population that eats much differently. [balloon smilie]
The following 5 users Like verkom's post:
  • carpeaeternitatem, Colby1, Heather, laurke, phoebebopeep
What the World Eats is adapted from The Hungry Planet and is newer. I don't have either of these but liked What the World Eats better when I looked up both books on Amazon.com.
The following 1 user Likes rserb@iowatelecom.net's post:
  • phoebebopeep
Announcements/Geography Addition: Years 4-6
We have used What the World Eats by reading a chapter a week when we get together to do our map study, dictation and timeline. It's just this once a week moment when I get my 3 kids in different years to come together and do some of their once a week written work. It's worked nicely in that setting and the kids really enjoy the book. Great discussion too on what is "normal" to eat in different countries. For example the family in Greenland eats seal and polar bear. Good horizon broadening on what providing for a family looks like in different regions. Thanks for the additions AO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following 2 users Like kater072401's post:
  • boywrangler, Subversive Gardener
Hungry Planet does show a tribal family without clothes on p54, two women and a man. You may need to consider discretion depending on the needs of your family.
(05-01-2017, 08:30 PM)Tasmanian Wrote: Please don't believe that all Australians eat like the family in "What the World Eats" :)

(05-01-2017, 11:51 PM)verkom Wrote: As long as everyone outside the US realizes we don't all eat like the book portrays for us! Granted, many do from what I've gathered watching other shoppers' carts. But, there is a good subset of the population that eats much differently. [balloon smilie]

I thought the same thing about the family from Ecuador! I wish they had picked a typical city dwelling family instead of going out to a remote rural village.
- Mandie
Mom to Jack (16 - year 10), Sally (14 - year 9), Molly (11 - year 5), Gareth (9 - year 2), and Sunny (7- year 1)
Occasionally blogging at http://teachingdragonslayers.blogspot.com
The following 2 users Like carpeaeternitatem's post:
  • michelle dawn, Subversive Gardener

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  We’ve Made Some Changes To Parts of Years 7-12! Donna-Jean 98 148,360 07-26-2023, 11:33 AM
Last Post: andrealisabeth
  Updated Madam How in text-only version (Years 4 and 5) AnneWhite 0 12,430 07-24-2020, 09:40 PM
Last Post: AnneWhite
  Schedule Changes Years 4, 5, 6 LeslieNoelani 72 863,633 09-12-2018, 02:36 AM
Last Post: Bliss
  New! and Improved! Combo years 7/8 and 8/9 LeslieNoelani 19 189,641 08-17-2018, 05:07 AM
Last Post: wanderingstar
  New AO Geography Topics! LeslieNoelani 43 702,777 08-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Hunter
  Science Change: Years 2 and 3/Pagoo LeslieNoelani 1 62,261 11-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Phyllis