AO for Groups is Here!
Announcements/AO 2.0 is Here!
Amberkever, that is so helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following 1 user Likes hosanna's post:
  • amberkever
Announcements/RE: AO 2.0 is Here!
In Form 2 it says, "The Sea Around Us (used over 3 years) (for older students)"
I was wondering how that is envisaged? Does it mean an 8yo student starting in form 2 doesn't ever read TSAU but a student who starts at 10 does? Or those who are older read bits of it?

Sent from my GT-S5310B using Tapatalk
Claire - Tasmanian mum sharing one of God's garden beds with four other 'Son-flowers' - DH (husband of 21 years), Little Bear  (DS 16yo, AO Year 10 - not so little any more [:P cheesy, cheesy!] ), Miss Muffet (DD 15 yo, AO Year 10) and Mouse (DS 12yo, AO Year 6).
"A child of any age should be a well-read person for his age." - Charlotte Mason
An 8 year old wouldn't start in Form II, because Form I would be ages 6-8 (turning 9 that year). But I don't know the answer to the question about Sea Around Us.
Kathy 
For we are God’s handiwork, recreated in Christ Jesus, that we may do those good works which God predestined for us, that we should walk in them.
The following 1 user Likes lklivingston's post:
  • Dawn Duran
It's spread over all three years so that every student will experience some of it. A younger student (fourth grader) doing Form 2 wouldn't read the chapters scheduled that year, but would read the chapters scheduled the following year. So no matter when a student does Form 2, he'll get to experience some of that book.
"Our aim in Education is to give a Full Life." -- Mom to 4 AO Graduates, Grandma to 3
"Practically, nearly, almost and in all ways visible to normal mortals Invincible" (due to the diplomatic immunity of Admin.) [cheesy grin]
The following 2 users Like LeslieNoelani's post:
  • lklivingston, Subversive Gardener
Ah, ok :)

Sent from my GT-S5310B using Tapatalk
Claire - Tasmanian mum sharing one of God's garden beds with four other 'Son-flowers' - DH (husband of 21 years), Little Bear  (DS 16yo, AO Year 10 - not so little any more [:P cheesy, cheesy!] ), Miss Muffet (DD 15 yo, AO Year 10) and Mouse (DS 12yo, AO Year 6).
"A child of any age should be a well-read person for his age." - Charlotte Mason
Amber, that is SO helpful; exactly what I was trying to figure out and going cross-eyed picturing!

So, it looks like all that is left out is Trial and Triumph, James Herriot's Treasury, and Buffalo Bill? Just as I thought I had it all figured out and was planning to start my 2nd child in Year 1 in January, now I have decision fatigue! (But truly, this will be a great blessing to many; I'm just trying to decide if it is for my family.) I only have three children, but I work 1-2 days per week (which feels like at least an extra child!), and I feel like I am juggling a lot now with just one school age child. I currently have my oldest read his own assignments the days I work, overseen by my babysitter, but my youngest two (both girls) are 2 years apart and at some point I will want to leave the babysitter a few things to do with them; combined years would be much easier to manage! Really, it will be just one year with my 2nd in Year 3 and my 3rd child in Year 1 (although I expect #3 will drift in and out leading up to that).

So, as I am thinking through this, what I really want to know is, what are the disadvantages (if any) of doing forms instead of separate years? I can stick those few missed books into morning time. I think my girls will still have separate math and reading, and probably Spanish. And of course, it will really only be my youngest child's first year that they will be in Form 1; by Form 2 I would probably have each girl just start regular Year 4 as they reach it. Does this seem feasible?

Thanks, AO ladies, for all your work on this!
Ariana
2nd generation homeschooler, part-time veterinarian, Coast Guard wife, and full-time mama to 14 yo boy, 10 yo girl, and 8 yo girl.
The following 2 users Like islavet's post:
  • amberkever, LiJ
(07-05-2017, 10:15 AM)islavet Wrote: So, as I am thinking through this, what I really want to know is, what are the disadvantages (if any) of doing forms instead of separate years? I can stick those few missed books into morning time. I think my girls will still have separate math and reading, and probably Spanish. And of course, it will really only be my youngest child's first year that they will be in Form 1; by Form 2 I would probably have each girl just start regular Year 4 as they reach it. Does this seem feasible?

I think the only real disadvantage is if you continue on to Forms 2 and 3 because then it really does get lighter and you miss more books. That's a big plus for schools and co-ops where they realistically can't assign as much, but I think it's a disadvantage in a home situation where more can be done (unless there are family circumstances where something substantially lighter is necessary -- such as a child who truly needs a much lighter load).

I've been hearing moms talk about doing Form 1, and then moving their kids into Year 4 (of "AO Classic"? [cheesy grin]). I hadn't considered that as an option, but I think it makes sense.
"Our aim in Education is to give a Full Life." -- Mom to 4 AO Graduates, Grandma to 3
"Practically, nearly, almost and in all ways visible to normal mortals Invincible" (due to the diplomatic immunity of Admin.) [cheesy grin]
The following 4 users Like LeslieNoelani's post:
  • BecTasmanian, laurke, Sarah, Subversive Gardener
(07-05-2017, 12:11 PM)LeslieNoelani Wrote: I think the only real disadvantage is if you continue on to Forms 2 and 3 because then it really does get lighter and you miss more books. That's a big plus for schools and co-ops where they realistically can't assign as much, but I think it's a disadvantage in a home situation where more can be done (unless there are family circumstances where something substantially lighter is necessary -- such as a child who truly needs a much lighter load).

I've been hearing moms talk about doing Form 1, and then moving their kids into Year 4 (of "AO Classic"? [cheesy grin]). I hadn't considered that as an option, but I think it makes sense.

Thank you, Leslie! Since I'm not seeing the big picture of all the forms, it is good to hear that my new tentative plan seems solid! That will be extra useful for big (and smaller!) families since it is in Form 1 that most children are still learning to read.

Ariana
2nd generation homeschooler, part-time veterinarian, Coast Guard wife, and full-time mama to 14 yo boy, 10 yo girl, and 8 yo girl.
(07-05-2017, 12:11 PM)LeslieNoelani Wrote: I think the only real disadvantage is if you continue on to Forms 2 and 3 because then it really does get lighter and you miss more books. That's a big plus for schools and co-ops where they realistically can't assign as much, but I think it's a disadvantage in a home situation where more can be done (unless there are family circumstances where something substantially lighter is necessary -- such as a child who truly needs a much lighter load).

Leslie, I have a question about this. ^^^ if a child does go thru Form 1 and 2 in AO 2.0, how much is she missing? I have a rising 9 yo and 7 yo and two toddlers. We are doing one AO year in 18 months! :-(. I don't want to miss anything, but it makes me feel so behind to go this slow.
Thank you!!!!

Form 2 does not schedule these:

Guerber's Story of the Romans
Alexander Graham Bell biography
The Incredible Journey
Kidnapped
Kim (Kipling)
Carry a Big Stick (Teddy Roosevelt)
Halliburton's Book of Marvels (because we didn't schedule any out of print books in AO 2.0)
The Hobbit

Most of those are suggested as free reading in AO 2.0, so if you actually read them as free reading, you wouldn't be missing any books.
The following 7 users Like LeslieNoelani's post:
  • Heather, hosanna, Katie Rose, MamanMoore, Sarah, Subversive Gardener, Zoo Keeper