Announcements/AO 2.0 is Here!
(07-05-2017, 01:59 PM)LeslieNoelani Wrote: Form 2 does not schedule these:

Guerber's Story of the Romans
Alexander Graham Bell biography
The Incredible Journey
Kidnapped
Kim (Kipling)
Carry a Big Stick (Teddy Roosevelt)
Halliburton's Book of Marvels (because we didn't schedule any out of print books in AO 2.0)
The Hobbit

Most of those are suggested as free reading in AO 2.0, so if you actually read them as free reading, you wouldn't be missing any books.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Announcements/RE: AO 2.0 is Here!

The Incredible Journey
Kidnapped
Kim (Kipling)
Halliburton's Book of Marvels (because we didn't schedule any out of print books in AO 2.0)
The Hobbit

Most of those are suggested as free reading in AO 2.0, so if you actually read them as free reading, you wouldn't be missing any books.

Halliburton's book of marvels is back in print thanks to an Australian company - Living Books Press

This probably occurred too late for its inclusion in AO. 2.0
It's still not in print in the U.S.

Sent from my GT-S5310B using Tapatalk
Claire - Tasmanian mum sharing one of God's garden beds with four other 'Son-flowers' - DH (husband of 21 years), Little Bear  (DS 16yo, AO Year 10 - not so little any more [:P cheesy, cheesy!] ), Miss Muffet (DD 15 yo, AO Year 10) and Mouse (DS 12yo, AO Year 6).
"A child of any age should be a well-read person for his age." - Charlotte Mason
The following 1 user Likes Subversive Gardener's post:
  • Dawn Duran

The Incredible Journey
Kidnapped
Kim (Kipling)
The Hobbit

This list is super helpful when trying to decide the direction our family takes going forward! Is there a spot anywhere that already has a complete list of which books were removed/added to each form (in comparison to AO Classic) so that I'm not doing needless work while I try to choose/plan our upcoming school years?
married to "...Hey, Babe?" [Heart <3] using AO for Groups in New Jersey with:
my Giant ('08), my shining Storm ('10), my morning Tempest ('12), and my glittering Gale ('14)
Excuse me, I have a question.
I have a 12 year old son who according to age should be form 3A, but he just can't cope with the readings...the actual mechanics of the harder books and the comprehension level is beyond him (I've kind of made a mashed together version for him from Classic AO yrs1,2,3,4.) I do read some books as read aloudstories, but my goal this year has been for him (and his younger sisters) to do more independent reading. I love the way AO2.0 is layed out, I'm wondering if it's ridiculous to have him do form 1 at his age if he is doing it entirely independently? Perhaps adding in some older science reads?
I will add, that he is not mentally deficient, but has struggled with strong dyslexic tendencies and has always been 2-3 years behind in comprehension skills and is just young for his age (despite being read to copiously from birth and coming from a family that discusses everything. My husband said he was the same at that age, and he is a very intelligent man.) I like how my son's reading ability has progressed since giving more reading assignments to him, and am loathe to start reading all his lessons to him again. I'm not sure if I'd be doing a disservice to him one way or the other. Advice would be greatly appreciated.
What about doing Form 2A?
Kathy 
For we are God’s handiwork, recreated in Christ Jesus, that we may do those good works which God predestined for us, that we should walk in them.
The following 1 user Likes lklivingston's post:
  • Subversive Gardener
And using an audiobook or two with him reading along if the text alone is too hard?

Sent from my GT-S5310B using Tapatalk
Claire - Tasmanian mum sharing one of God's garden beds with four other 'Son-flowers' - DH (husband of 21 years), Little Bear  (DS 16yo, AO Year 10 - not so little any more [:P cheesy, cheesy!] ), Miss Muffet (DD 15 yo, AO Year 10) and Mouse (DS 12yo, AO Year 6).
"A child of any age should be a well-read person for his age." - Charlotte Mason
Ah yes, the audios. I don't know why I forget about those little chestnuts! I'll have a look on librivox and see what's available. It'd certainly keep him somewhat responsible for his own learning and more in line with his age. It's not that I'm worried about him reading the earlier years at this stage, it's just that I'm projecting...2 or 3 years down the track it wouldn't really be so good for him to still be in form 1!!!
I might stick with AO classic come to think of it, and help him along where he needs it with audios, then after narrations, have discussions for what he's not getting...does that sound feasible?
The following 2 users Like hippymama's post:
  • Amy Jo Hines, laurke
Sounds good, but I wouldn't make discussing what he missed after narrations a habit. Instead use what you from his narrations to spot trouble areas, then prepare him before the reading. (So in year 5 I did that in Kim by mentioning what characters would be in the chapter and making sure he remembered who they were. )
Amy, who wishes to be a hobbit :)
Two homeschool graduates (DS20, DS19)
Currently homeschooling (DS16, DD13)
Ooooh, ok, BEFORE the readings. Is this so they have a scaffold but then they have to still do the work themselves of extracting the meaning? This is great, because with some more challenging texts I've really wondered about how to negotiate this very issue of their comprehension. I guess this is getting off topic now...sorry. Can anyone point me to a thread or article about comprehension and narrations please?
I'll have a search myself but ya'll might know of 'just the very thing'?
Thank you for sharing your wisdom Amy Jo.