Some Bible & Science Changes
Announcements/RE: Some Bible & Science Changes
I am really excited about the Bible changes! I figured out how to move to the schedule for Y4 without missing Joshua and Judges (I think). I might start using the upper year sigh l schedule for myself since I need to read the Bible more. 

I actually have the liberty nature reader I picked up at a book sale years ago because I heard it was difficult to find, but our co-op tends to do Apologia science, so maybe I can just convince them to do anatomy when she's in 5th or 6th. ?
Second Generation Homeschooler w/ one daughter, Year 4
and two daughters, one son, and at least three more babies in heaven.
https://awdowner.com
The following 2 users Like Sammie2's post:
  • lklivingston, MommyGirl
Obviously this is new territory for all of us, but I think if I had one who would be in Year 6 next year, I might consider using the Year 5 schedule for the anatomy book. That way we'd be starting at the beginning of the book, but if we don't finish it that's not a big deal either.
Kathy 
For we are God’s handiwork, recreated in Christ Jesus, that we may do those good works which God predestined for us, that we should walk in them.
The following 1 user Likes lklivingston's post:
  • Donna-Jean
All these changes are exciting for me, because I love having the new ideas, but still having access to the old ones in case they happen to work out better in our situation. I've only been following AO for three years now, so I'm really curious how often big changes like this happen? Looks like there has been a lot of work going on these last few years behind the scenes - reading, discussing, and praying, I'm sure. Thank you, wonderful ladies, for your generosity!
Second generation homeschooler. Grateful to my Father for the privilege of educating my children at home. Thankful for his longsuffering when homeschooling sneaks up onto the pedestal to become my idol.
The following 1 user Likes HannahA's post:
  • Rondalyno
I absolutely agree that Christian Nature Reader is a good book to take off the schedule. But I wouldn't buy an Apologia book because I firmly dispute their whole basis for science. It would be great to offer an alternative for those who also wouldn't be comfortable with the company. At least in the footnotes.
England.  DD13 DS11
Announcements/Some Bible & Science Changes
CLNR is still in the footnotes. That's the alternative for now.
Kathy 
For we are God’s handiwork, recreated in Christ Jesus, that we may do those good works which God predestined for us, that we should walk in them.
The following 1 user Likes lklivingston's post:
  • Subversive Gardener
(04-04-2023, 01:44 PM)LucyBeeH Wrote: I absolutely agree that Christian Nature Reader is a good book to take off the schedule.  But I wouldn't buy an Apologia book because I firmly dispute their whole basis for science.  It would be great to offer an alternative for those who also wouldn't be comfortable with the company.  At least in the footnotes.

Last year, our non-CM co-op used the Apologia anatomy book for the 5th or 6th graders, so they wanted anatomy for k-2nd, too, but they didn't want me to use the Apologia book. (I might have found the situation slightly stressful  [cheesy grin] ). I wound up using Janice VanCleave's The Human Body for Every Kid for a lot of the class, and I really liked it. I've seen her books recommended on the forum. I don't know that it would be an adequate replacement because I am just not experienced with that, but it might be a place to start. We also have The Way We Work by David Macaulay. I haven't looked at it much but have loved his other books. Those might not be in-depth enough for Y5. I'm not there yet, so I don't know.
Second Generation Homeschooler w/ one daughter, Year 4
and two daughters, one son, and at least three more babies in heaven.
https://awdowner.com
Can you share how you are moving to the new bible schedule for year 4 while still including Joshua and Judges?
(04-04-2023, 07:29 AM)Sammie2 Wrote: I am really excited about the Bible changes! I figured out how to move to the schedule for Y4 without missing Joshua and Judges (I think).

Can you share how you are moving to the new bible schedule for year 4 while still including Joshua and Judges?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(04-04-2023, 01:44 PM)LucyBeeH Wrote: I absolutely agree that Christian Nature Reader is a good book to take off the schedule. But I wouldn't buy an Apologia book because I firmly dispute their whole basis for science. It would be great to offer an alternative for those who also wouldn't be comfortable with the company. At least in the footnotes.
What is their whole basis for science? I'm listening to it on audiobook and have mixed feelings so far

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk
Following for ideas on the year 6 science book next year.
Mama of 6 (YR 6, YR 4, YR 2, Preschooler, Toddler, and Baby) <3 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Year 9 Science AO Advisory 55 640,280 09-08-2021, 10:05 PM
Last Post: kgkat
  Year 6 Bible Change lklivingston 0 13,135 10-16-2019, 07:55 AM
Last Post: lklivingston
  Science changes for year 8 and 3 Jeanne Webb 31 430,540 09-19-2015, 05:32 AM
Last Post: michelle dawn
  AO Science! Lani 33 511,151 08-08-2014, 01:30 AM
Last Post: Kathy W.
  Science Change: Years 2 and 3/Pagoo LeslieNoelani 1 62,602 11-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Phyllis