AmblesideOnline Forums

Full Version: Can I email forums or threads?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Although I did install the Forum Runner app which lets me read the forum on my iPod Touch when I have wi fi, I REALLY would like a way to read things offline. That's the thing I really like about the Yahoo Groups; I can get the daily digest by email and read it when I'm out and about. Don't get me wrong, I like the organization of the forum! I THOUGHT Kathy Livingston said there was a way to have threads emailed to myself and read them offline, but I may have misunderstood. I have chosen the "email when a new post is made" button, but I would like to be able to scan through the threads (on the computer or Forum Runner), and easily choose several to "store" (via email??) to read later offline. Any ideas? Or is this impossible? :-(

Thanks!
Right now, you can get the first post of every new thread sent to your email, but that's all. So far. I'm working on a digest option. I just don't know how long that will take, because what I have to learn is so new to me, and I'm kind of busy. :)
Thanks! At least I know I'm not missing anything. How do I get the new first posts emailed to me? Then at least I can look more at what interests me.
Go to the forum areas that interest you, and right under the "New Thread" button, you'll see "Subscribe to this forum."

Also, go to your UserCP (link at the top of every page), and find what I have circled below:

[Image: subscriptions-1.jpg]

Make sure that your default thread subscription mode is set to instant email notification.
At the bottom left side of threads there is an "send this thread to a friend" link. I think you could email yourself the thread there.
No, that button just sends a link to the thread. Too bad.
Phyllis Wrote:No, that button just sends a link to the thread. Too bad.

That's probably because communications on the forum may only be shared with other forum members. Emailing a link ensures that. Emailing the thread does not.
Interestingly, you can email an individual post, but not the whole thread (I tried that!).

Phyllis, thanks for the tip; I tried that and I'm waiting to see if I get any emails...
Does anyone know if you have to view a specific thread to have the next new post emailed to you, or does logging into the AO forum as a whole "refresh" all your threads?

Also, does viewing a thread on the Forum Runner app "refresh" it, or only viewing it online?

Thanks!
I think just logging into the forum is enough to "refresh," but I'm not entirely sure. You can test it and let us know. :)

Kathy or someone who uses Forum Runner will have to help you with that part of your question.
Pages: 1 2