AmblesideOnline Forums

Full Version: Using Code in Our Posts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What code are we able to use in our posts? Are we just limited to those things in the menu, or can we enter our own code to create things like tables, etc? My issue yesterday was wanting to add some spaces to the beginning of a line and the old school html [&nbsp] didn't work.

Gratefully,
I don't know. The code used is different than regular html code, but if you used the right code, it might work. It might be php code. It's whichever code uses [ i ] for italics instead of < i > -- but I think there are more differences than using brackets instead of carats. That might be why the space code didn't work.
It is PHP code. The insert PHP code button is just to the right of the pound sign. See my screen shot below.

[attachment=967]
Melisa,

I don't understand this. I just need a nudge in the right direction. This creates a whole separate box for PHP Code. And I have no idea what I'm supposed to be able to do within those brackets. I can use a lot of code right in the post, like [i], [b], [center], etc. What is the point of inserting the formatted PHP code into the post in a separate "box?" I have tried a few times to put some code in there, but my code just shows up character for character of what I wrote.

PHP Code:
I have no idea what I should put in here

Gratefully,
(11-16-2014, 02:48 PM)Dawn Girl Wrote: [ -> ]Melisa,

I don't understand this. I just need a nudge in the right direction. This creates a whole separate box for PHP Code. And I have no idea what I'm supposed to be able to do within those brackets. I can use a lot of code right in the post, like [i], [b], [center], etc. What is the point of inserting the formatted PHP code into the post in a separate "box?" I have tried a few times to put some code in there, but my code just shows up character for character of what I wrote.

PHP Code:
I have no idea what I should put in here

Gratefully,

Unfortunately, I cannot help you any more than that. :-(
I believe we are limited to what we can code into these posts. We are actually using something called MyCode. It appears to not be PHP. MyCode is a very simplified HTML.

I think the PHP box:

PHP Code:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<
html>
<
body>

<?
php
echo "My first PHP script!";
?>

</body>
</html> 

is simply for putting the PHP code in its syntax form into the posts. It automatically put all those colors in there to make it easier to read the code. I don't think that is of importance to us at AO, but I think it must be very important for some of the MyBB forums.

I am NOW officially stopping trying to figure this out. I can use the "insert list" buttons. I'll do my best with those.
Yes, that PHP button and the colored formatting it gives is what is used on the MyBB how-to forum, and probably many others. We really don't have much use for it here at all. The code that can be used here is pretty basic. I think spaces at the beginnings of lines should work with just plain spaces.

Testing here. Two spaces at the beginning of this line.
Hmm. Yes, my spaces did get stripped out. I was looking for what you could use instead, but my internet connection is in horrible shape today....