AmblesideOnline Forums

Full Version: MyBB (AO Forum software)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How hard is MyBB to implement and manage?

How much time does it take to set up?  What is the learning curve?

I see that it is free, but what needs to be in place to host it?

Background:  Our CM co-op has grown to include 16 families and close to 45 children.  We are beginning to find communicating through e-mail is becoming cumbersome.  MyBB seems like a perfect solution.  I'm just trying to do a little research on proposing it as an option.
Is everyone on FB, Dawn Girl? Ours uses a private FB group, which works really well and didn't require much management on the part of the leadership team...
(11-03-2015, 08:15 AM)Brandy Vencel Wrote: [ -> ]Is everyone on FB, Dawn Girl? Ours uses a private FB group, which works really well and didn't require much management on the part of the leadership team...

They are not.  I know there are some who will not join, which I understand.  But, I will bring this up at our next meeting as an option.  Maybe they will relent.
There is a FB groups app now, so theoretically one could interact in a FB groups without ever seeing the newsfeed. I don't know if that would address their concerns, but just throwing it out there as an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook, to me, still seems too chaotic, even if everyone was on it.
I'm sure myBB is reasonable to install and administer. Things like that have come so far in the last ten years. I bet you can figure it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's pretty easy. You have to have somewhere to host it, so there's some cost involved. Although, when we were testing it out, I used a free host for that. I don't recommend that, but for a small group, it might work.

I did a good bit of research into which free (and not free) forums were best, and MyBB really seemed to come out at the top of most reviews. As an admin, I am very pleased with it. Their support forum is great, too.
Phyllis,

Roughly how much server space does it require? I'm sure what the AO Forum needs is much larger than what our small co-op would need, but I really don't know how all of that works.

Also, thank you for all the research you did in choosing MyBB for the AO Forum. I think it has been an outstanding choice.
It really depends on how big and active your forum is. The actual installation at the beginning doesn't take much space at all. I don't remember even the general size, but free hosting handled our test forum just fine, and we tested it well. :) However, this AO forum is BIG and we've had to upgrade the hosting package a few times as it has grown.
I have been poking around the MyBB support forums, but I can't figure this out yet. How did you get the AmblesideOnline logo to appear at the top left of the header as opposed to the MyBB logo?

Also, how did you add the header with the Logo for the upcoming retreat?

If these are not easy to explain answers, that is not a problem. I'm still learning how to navigate the MyBB support forums, and I think we'll eventually get it.
Pages: 1 2