AmblesideOnline Forums

Full Version: CM quotes on forum homepage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I saw a CM quote that I really liked, but forgot to write down where to find it. Is there a list of the quotes you use to cycle through that I could look through to try to find it again? It had to do with obedience only being helpful if it helps the child to ultimately control herself. Thanks!
I don't have a list, but I think I know the quote you're talking about.

[O]bedience is valuable only in so far as it helps the child towards making himself do that which he knows he ought to do. Every effort of obedience which does not give him a sense of conquest over his own inclinations, helps to enslave him, he will resent the loss of his liberty by running into license when he can. That is the secret of the miscarrying of many strictly brought-up children. But invite his co-operation, let him heartily intend and purpose to do the thing he is bidden, and then it is his own will that is compelling him, and not yours; he has begun the greatest effort, the highest accomplishment of human life––the making, the compelling of himself. ~CM vol1 p 328
Is that the one you were thinking of? I could probably copy and paste all the quotes in here, but there are 3 pages of them!
(03-06-2013, 03:56 AM)Lizzie Smith Wrote: [ -> ]I don't have a list, but I think I know the quote you're talking about.

[O]bedience is valuable only in so far as it helps the child towards making himself do ...~CM vol1 p 328

Bingo, Lizzie! Thanks!