AmblesideOnline Forums

Full Version: Overwhelmed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There's so much here that it is really easy to be overwhelmed! Plus, change is hard, isn't it? If you're coming over here from just one AO Yahoo group, there's just so much more than there was before. This forum is something like all the various Yahoo groups, joined together under one roof.

My best tip for avoiding being overwhelmed is that I have just subscribed to five forums. My bookmark to come into the forum is my "Forum Subscriptions" page. (That link should go to your subscriptions, not mine. :) ) So, all I see at first is the few that I'm most interested in. If there's nothing new in them, then I go on to other areas.

How do you all avoid being overwhelmed? Please add your tips here!
Subscribe only to the threads you are interested in...and you control whether or not you receive email notifications of new post in that thread. Works the same way as subscribing to the sub-forums.

Check "view new posts" only if you have time left after looking at your subscribed forums and threads. Maybe even use a timer so the information seeps in at a slower pace!
I use the "VIEW NEW POSTS" (at the very top, left) link almost exclusively. It shows what's new since the last time I've visited the forums.
It kind of makes me feel like "email is coming to my inbox" without it actually having to do so.
I merely click it and see what's been happening.

Then, I right click (to open a new tab) on the GREEN ARROWS at the left of each thread (which takes me to where I'd left off reading the thread last time or else to the beginning of the thread if it is a new one I've not yet visited)-- but ONLY ON THE THREADS THAT INTEREST ME! If I'm not sure by the subject line I simply hover my mouse over the subject line and a little popup comes up with the first line or two of the thread.
(08-09-2012, 10:15 PM)Angi B Wrote: [ -> ]I use the "VIEW NEW POSTS" (at the very top, left) link almost exclusively. It shows what's new since the last time I've visited the forums.
It kind of makes me feel like "email is coming to my inbox" without it actually having to do so.
I merely click it and see what's been happening.

Then, I right click (to open a new tab) on the GREEN ARROWS at the left of each thread (which takes me to where I'd left off reading the thread last time or else to the beginning of the thread if it is a new one I've not yet visited)-- but ONLY ON THE THREADS THAT INTEREST ME! If I'm not sure by the subject line I simply hover my mouse over the subject line and a little popup comes up with the first line or two of the thread.

I like this idea! It is a bit overwhelming with so many forums, sub forums, and threading. I will try the VIEW NEW POSTS link too. Thanks!
I don't think this still needs to be a sticky.