AmblesideOnline Forums
2016 AO Conference!!! SAVE THE DATE!!!! - Printable Version

+- AmblesideOnline Forums (https://amblesideonline.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Welcome Center (https://amblesideonline.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Announcements (https://amblesideonline.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: 2016 AO Conference!!! SAVE THE DATE!!!! (/showthread.php?tid=22467)

RE: 2016 AO Conference!!! SAVE THE DATE!!!! - MichelleDee - 02-21-2016

Is there a cap on how many can attend? And how close are you to that?

I sent an email to the address with some information and questions and want to know if I can register by mail (as opposed to PayPal since I don't have an account and wont get one). I just wanted to know if it was received or if I can mail a check.

Thank you!

RE: 2016 AO Conference!!! SAVE THE DATE!!!! - janna4520 - 02-21-2016

I have two questions.
1. How long will the meal breaks be? Wondering if I will have time to go into town to eat.
2. I'd like to know if we will be paying full price for children?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

RE: 2016 AO Conference!!! SAVE THE DATE!!!! - WendiC - 02-21-2016

I know you are just asking, and you don't know all the ramifications of the question. But we tried to explain this at the last conference when it came up, too.

In order to take checks, a couple of very complicated things have to happen:

I'd need to pay for a P.O. box to send them to because none of us want our home addresses on the internet.
I live ten miles from town, so I'd have to pack up my very disabled child and drive to the post office to check the mail a couple times a week, getting her in and out of the car and up our very old Post Office steps.

We at AO chose our bank because we had a local branch near me, and one of our overseas people uses the same bank so we could easily get two names on the account even though none of us live in the same state (or even country). But the local branch closed. So, to cash a check, I'd have to get to the nearest branch, which is 40 miles away. I have PTSD, and one of the manifestations is I don't and can't drive on that highway. I can barely be a passenger- and when I am it's unpleasant for everybody and requires a day to recover. So I have to find somebody else who doesn't mind my jumping, gasping, occasioinal screaming, and seatbelt chewing all the way down and back again, and on a weekday. And not just once, probably once a week, at a minimum, basically rendering myself unfit for getting anything done for two days of every week because it is just that triggering. I have grandchildren in that town and I can manage to get down there maybe every two or three months because it's that hard. Meanwhile, I'm also trying to get ready for the conference, to finish up some big AO projects, to get ready for 8 weeks of orphan hosting two boys from Ukraine this summer, when caring for the orphans is our entire focus and all we'll be able to do for those 8 weeks (based on experience with these boys for four weeks over Christmas) and... getting ready for a huge move in the fall.

I'd love to be able to work it so we could take checks. But it's not a simple matter of just asking us to cash a check. It's asking quite a lot more than that. I'm not trying to guilt trip anybody, just explaining why we may seem unaccommodating when it's really not just us being difficult.

RE: 2016 AO Conference!!! SAVE THE DATE!!!! - WendiC - 02-21-2016

(02-21-2016, 12:42 AM)janna4520 Wrote: I have two questions.  
1. How long will the meal breaks be?  Wondering if I will have time to go into town to eat.  
2. I'd like to know if we will be paying full price for children?  

Checking on #1, but I doubt there will be time. Could be wrong.

2. What children? Nurslings and babies are free. Teens are full price. We are not expecting there to be other children, except possibly the RV site

RE: 2016 AO Conference!!! SAVE THE DATE!!!! - janna4520 - 02-21-2016

My daughter is 8.

RE: 2016 AO Conference!!! SAVE THE DATE!!!! - KimSanDiego - 02-21-2016

(02-20-2016, 09:59 AM)lklivingston Wrote: An agenda is not yet available.

Thanks. Is there an email list where I can sign up to get information about the conference as it becomes available?
Also, what is the cancellation policy?
Never mind that last one. I can see on the site it says "no refunds."

(02-20-2016, 01:35 AM)Lani Wrote: You don't have to pay full amount when registering fyi...

Will an agenda or schedule be available prior to the payment deadline? I see "no refunds" on the registration page, so I wonder if it would be ok for me to put down a deposit now, that I am willing to lose, and then look at the agenda before paying the full amount of the registration. I have already booked the plane ticket, so I'm excited to attend, but just want to make sure it's the right track for me before I bite the bullet on the full amount. The tickets are SW so can be cancelled.

Any info appreciated. :)

Thought of another question: Any chance of a group shuttle from Love Field on the 19th? Or would we need to coordinate transportation ourselves and on this forum?
Cancel that question. I've now read from beginning to end on the thread. :)
I will reach out to others flying in and share an Uber if possible.

RE: 2016 AO Conference!!! SAVE THE DATE!!!! - MichelleDee - 02-21-2016

(02-21-2016, 03:00 AM)WendiC Wrote: I know you are just asking, and you don't know all the ramifications of the question.  But we tried to explain this at the last conference when it came up, too.

In order to take checks, a couple of very complicated things have to happen:

I'd need to pay for a P.O. box to send them to because none of us want our home addresses on the internet.
I live ten miles from town, so I'd have to pack up my very disabled child and drive to the post office to check the mail a couple times a week, getting her in and out of the car and up our very old Post Office steps.

We at AO chose our bank because we had a local branch near me, and one of our overseas people uses the same bank so we could easily get two names on the account even though none of us live in the same state (or even country).  But the local branch closed.  So, to cash a check, I'd have to get to the nearest branch, which is 40 miles away.  I have PTSD, and one of the manifestations is I don't and can't drive on that highway.  I can barely be a passenger- and when I am it's unpleasant for everybody and requires a day to recover.  So I have to find somebody else who doesn't mind my jumping, gasping, occasioinal screaming, and seatbelt chewing all the way down and back again, and on a weekday.  And not just once, probably once a week, at a minimum, basically rendering myself unfit for getting anything done for two days of every week because it is just that triggering.  I have grandchildren in that town and I can manage to get down there maybe every two or three months because it's that hard.   Meanwhile, I'm also trying to get ready for the conference, to finish up some big AO projects, to get ready for 8 weeks of orphan hosting two boys from Ukraine this summer, when caring for the orphans is our entire focus and all we'll be able to do for those 8 weeks (based on experience with these boys for four weeks over Christmas) and... getting ready for a huge move in the fall.  

I'd love to be able to work it so we could take checks.  But it's not a simple matter of just asking us to cash a check.  It's asking quite a lot more than that.   I'm not trying to guilt trip anybody, just explaining why we may seem unaccommodating when it's really not just us being difficult.

Thank you Wendi for your response about sending in a check. We don't use PayPal because they support Planned Parenthood, so that kind of puts me out of the loop completely. No worries, though, because it is simply an answer to prayer about whether I am actually supposed to attend.

I have used AO for many years and love it, and simply wanted to commune with other AOers like I did in the fall in the Seattle area. (THAT was a great experience. I don't even remember who I sent the check to for that retreat, but I did not go through PayPal then either.) We have since decided to move across country (from Alaska to Virginia via Florida, where we currently are in the middle of this large transition) and I didn't even know if there was the possibility of getting to Texas in May.

I totally understand PTSD, having had it twice during the last 15 years. I still have lingering issues and likely will for life. I also understand the "jumping, gasping, occasioinal screaming, and seatbelt chewing" of riding with others and driving in certain environments.

Its all okay, and will be okay. I will pray for the weekend and for those who need to be there, that the LORD would work out all things for them to be able to attend.

Thank you for your explanation.

2016 AO Conference!!! SAVE THE DATE!!!! - writingsarah - 02-22-2016

I'm registered!!!! Our whole family is coming, FYI, in case anyone is interested. My son Thomas is 15, and is hoping some of the teens will be there. My husband will be taking care of our two daughters, Sadie (11) and Helen (6). I think they are hoping for hiking and exploring while we are in sessions. We are go with the flow types and are going to be in between places to live. We are in Costa Rica now, but will be moving to Uruguay at the end of summer. We managed to work the move so our time in the states corresponded with the conference- God is so good!!

I am really looking forward to meeting whoever comes and enjoying our time together!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk