AmblesideOnline Forums
Google docs year 7 file - Printable Version

+- AmblesideOnline Forums (https://amblesideonline.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Welcome Center (https://amblesideonline.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Tech Support (Parent and Student Access) (https://amblesideonline.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Google docs year 7 file (/showthread.php?tid=25532)

Pages: 1 2

Google docs year 7 file - Janice - 05-13-2016

So I download the year 7 .doc file. It looks great. I upload it to my google drive, view it and it still looks great. I open it in edit mode and suddenly it does not look great. It's very messed up and large portions of some of the tables are off the side and I can't move them nor can I copy the data in them. It's being incredibly difficult and frustrating. Does anyone has a suggestion of how to fix this? Without having to start from scratch and write it all in. I'm about ready to try something else. In which case, suggestions are welcome.

RE: Google docs year 7 file - lklivingston - 05-13-2016

When the tables have lots of merged cells, they don't convert well. You can instead create the same table (13 columns) and copy and paste the rows. Or use the Open Office format.

RE: Google docs year 7 file - Janice - 05-13-2016

It won't let me copy what's pushed to the side.
And I did try the other format and it's weird as well. But it allows me to move it around better. I suppose I will just need to sit down and fill it in manually. Lol. And stop letting it frustrate me. I think last nights difficulty was wearing on me because my kids were being incredibly bothers on and loud while one kept coming to me to complain about the rest and the baby was mad and my husband is away for business this whole week. So.....I just need quiet and something yummy while I figure it out.

RE: Google docs year 7 file - lklivingston - 05-14-2016

Copy from the pdf or the Word or the Open Office file--open it in Open Office or Word, then copy and paste the data into a blank table in Google.

It's only a problem when there are lots of merged cells. I think you can unmerge the cells, delete the new blank orphan cell that appears, and gradually shift everything over, but it's been awhile since I tried that.

RE: Google docs year 7 file - Lisa-v - 05-14-2016

Were you trying to edit in Google docs? Is it splitting the chart from one page onto two pages? If yes, you can try reducing the columns so that they are narrower...

Hope that makes sense!

The problem is Google malforms the chart when you import merged cells. Changing column widths doesn't help. Ask me how I know. . .

RE: Google docs year 7 file - Janice - 05-14-2016

Yes. I tried all manner of table editing. Changing widths. I tried to bring one in smaller and it would make another one get bigger. Lol

It was all very frustrating.

Kathy,
I can copy from a different file and paste into that one? I don't know why I hadn't thought of that. Lol. I know I can do that normally on my computer so I don't know why it slipped my mind this time.

Yes, you can. I think I did that when I was trying out putting all the charts into Google Docs, because importing was turning out to be a pain.

RE: Google docs year 7 file - Janice - 05-16-2016

I just tried it and it's not working for me. I keep letting this whole thing frustrate me and I am not taking it well so I have decided to just start from scratch in an application I know something about. I'm rewriting the entire thing in numbers.
I know it will take longer to put together than copying and pasting, but at least I won't have to worry about getting upset when I have to delete all the work again and start over. It worked so easily in google docs for year 5 but year 7 is a pain.

Thanks for your help.

RE: Google docs year 7 file - Janice - 05-16-2016

My husband just explained things to me and he is helping me figure it all out. I used to have a fair amount of computer and software knowledge. Way back when. I even worked in the signal and como field in the army. And now.......well, i'm not happy with my lack of skills now. lol