AmblesideOnline Forums
Year 9 Science - Printable Version

+- AmblesideOnline Forums (https://amblesideonline.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Welcome Center (https://amblesideonline.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Announcements (https://amblesideonline.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Year 9 Science (/showthread.php?tid=27768)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Year 9 Science - WendiC - 10-06-2016

(10-06-2016, 03:05 AM)lklivingston Wrote: Sorry, Wendi! Thanks for clarifying.

Phshaw. No worries. I was all over the map in the discussions, literally thinking it through as I typed, so I think you did well to figure something out from my mess of stream of consciousness thinking!

RE: Year 9 Science - RVMama - 10-07-2016

I hope I'm not too late to help test-drive Year 9 science?! I'm pulling my 9th grade daughter out of a classical program's Apologia Biology course that I enrolled her in against my better judgment (it has been a good confirmation for me of how very much our souls are aligned with CM methods even if the info being taught is great...it's all about the how). Anyway, I'm hoping to do a quick shift in direction with her and would love to get in on the Year 9 plans. I have degrees in biology and nursing and LOVE this stuff!

RE: Year 9 Science - WendiC - 10-07-2016

(10-07-2016, 01:18 AM)RVMama Wrote: I hope I'm not too late to help test-drive Year 9 science?! I'm pulling my 9th grade daughter out of a classical program's Apologia Biology course that I enrolled her in against my better judgment (it has been a good confirmation for me of how very much our souls are aligned with CM methods even if the info being taught is great...it's all about the how). Anyway, I'm hoping to do a quick shift in direction with her and would love to get in on the Year 9 plans. I have degrees in biology and nursing and LOVE this stuff!

You don't need to do anything at all to help testdrive year 9 and you can dive in anytime- Kathy started a series of posts in the forum for science in the upper years. Just dive in anytime with a comment or question.

To help review for the upper years, see Kathy's post with the page images above and send her a PM with your reviews.

RE: Year 9 Science - Amy Jo Hines - 05-09-2017

Is there any kind of schedule, or do I need to look in individual threads?

Is the only change for a "lite" year to use just the one Atkins book?

RE: Year 9 Science - lklivingston - 05-09-2017

There is no kind of schedule, as the booklist isn't even nailed down yet. Individual threads will have user comments on various books. I don't think any suggestion for a Lite year is available yet.

RE: Year 9 Science - Amy Jo Hines - 05-09-2017

Okay. I'm still trying to get a big picture, although I did browse through the individual threads. Right now I have 1 science per day, would that continue? Something like day 1: biology, day 2: Signs & Seasons, day 3: Plant life, day 4: Chemistry, day 5: natural history.

Sent from my SM-G550T2 using Tapatalk

Year 9 Science - Quinault - 05-11-2017

After months of research I decided to utilize Holt McDougal Biology for 9th grade. We're almost thru the text now. We also subscribed to MEL chemistry.

If your choice of science is heavily biased on the young earth creationism/intelligent design end of the spectrum, could you please note that? There are people out there like myself that aren't young earth creationists, and it would be much easier if I knew at the onset to ignore the science suggested.

RE: Year 9 Science - Kathy W. - 05-11-2017

Quinault, I reviewed a good number of the books on the Year 9 list as part of the sub group to offer a non-text alternative science for the upper years. Body by Design is the only explicitly creationist science book I suggested, out of respect for the spectrum of beliefs represented by users of the AO curriculum. I can guarantee you that I am not young earth creationist, and I recommend that if you are interested in science without a textbook, you check out the recommended books. If you are interested in good textbook recommendations that are not Apologia, feel free to message me. 

Amy Jo, that's how I organized science. I had toyed with the idea of doing a term of physical science, a term of biology, and a term of earth/space science - with nature study throughout. Either would work, I think.

RE: Year 9 Science - Amy Jo Hines - 05-12-2017

(05-11-2017, 12:37 PM)Kathy W. Wrote: Amy Jo, that's how I organized science. I had toyed with the idea of doing a term of physical science, a term of biology, and a term of earth/space science - with nature study throughout. Either would work, I think.

One per term would make seasonal aspects easier. Especially with botany (I have a cat who destroys all indoor plants) and astronomy. I will have to think about this.

I just feel like science is making me crazy. I'm not doing it right, I'm not organized enough. I really need a guide book or more time. I almost want to combine my older two boys, 18 mos/1 grade apart, and try to figure this all out together. They are already doing Signs & Seasons, Fabre, and Adventures with a Microscope together.

RE: Year 9 Science - Gwiz9000 - 06-13-2017

I am terrible at getting much science done outside of reading, and we homeschool through chronic illness. We will be using year nine, picking and choosing what will work for us, so if you need an opinion from the lighter user, Im happy to join. (never mind. I see the above post now on the group for upper levels.)