AmblesideOnline Forums
Problems searching the AO site - Printable Version

+- AmblesideOnline Forums (https://amblesideonline.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Welcome Center (https://amblesideonline.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Tech Support (Parent and Student Access) (https://amblesideonline.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Problems searching the AO site (/showthread.php?tid=49587)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

[split] search function is not working - Barb Gifford - 06-25-2022

search function is not working. I have a Mac (12.3.1) and tried the search with Safari, Firefox and Chrome. I tested with the word Washington and nothing comes up.

I get a long list on my 1st gen, ancient iPad and I have no theories on why it doesn't work on the laptop.
Edit: now it's not working on the iPad. It can't find the word Washington again. <sigh>

RE: Report typos/dead links here -- #typo #error #fix #webedit - lklivingston - 06-25-2022

(06-25-2022, 07:15 AM)Barb Gifford Wrote: search function is not working. I have a Mac (12.3.1) and tried the search with Safari, Firefox and Chrome. I tested with the word Washington and nothing comes up.

I get a long list on my 1st gen, ancient iPad and I have no theories on why it doesn't work on the laptop.
Edit: now it's not working on the iPad. It can't find the word Washington again. <sigh>
Which search are you using?

Problems searching the AO site - ecwetzel - 08-03-2022

Does anyone know what is up with the AO site's search feature? If I search the PR articles, or the volumes, for even the most basic words, it says that there are no results. For example, the word "geography" comes up with nothing.

Assistance would be appreciated!

Liz

RE: Problems searching the AO site - lklivingston - 08-03-2022

Are you using the search box at the upper right? Just want to be sure I understand exactly what isn't working.

RE: Problems searching the AO site - lklivingston - 08-03-2022

I guess on the PR page and the Series page, the search box is in the center.

I just searched the PR articles and the Series, and it worked for me. Can you tell us more specifically what you are trying and what happens?

RE: Problems searching the AO site - ecwetzel - 08-03-2022

It says...

No results found for geography site:amblesideonline.org/CM.

Suggestions:

Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
Try different keywords.
Try more general keywords.
Try fewer keywords.

Problems searching the AO site - lklivingston - 08-03-2022

When I search, it brings results. Do you know which search engine your browser defaults to?[Image: 2ea8eb387c335437c033ccbe339f473d.jpg]

Problems searching the AO site - abbuselli - 08-03-2022

I agree, this function has seemed to be down for maybe a month. I would go into the search bar and type something I know is part of the curriculum and then it takes me to the search website (where the items searched for have shown up in the past) but it just says what I searched for isn’t a part of the AmblesideOnline site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Problems searching the AO site - abbuselli - 08-03-2022

Looks like it’s fixed! Good job! I should have double checked ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: [split] search function is not working - Katie Rose - 08-04-2022

I'm not 100% sure if the original post meant the search wasn't functioning here on the forum or over on the main site, but I wanted to add my experience here since I was just having (perhaps) similar difficulties.

From the main site I was searching for specific book titles that I was *certain* were on the site, and was getting 0 results. I was typing into the search box on the top of the site and was getting zero results. I thought I had mistyped, and then when and looked in the year I thought it was in which took a little longer that a search would have but since I had an idea of where to look wasn't a big deal. I really thought I had mistyped something and then didn't give it another thought when I manually when to what I was looking for. Today I was looking for The Gift of the Magi by O Henry. I thought it had been mentioned somewhere, but it didn't come up. That's when I noticed that the search engine automatically used in this case was different than what I usually use. So I tested it with ones I knew it should find. Search terms like "livingston" and "polo" weren't coming up with anything. Not a single result. I remember the search feature on the site being much more effective when I last used it (who knows when that was though...) so I decided to try some same searches but on different search engines.

Here are some of my exact searches and their results:

polo site:amblesideonline.org
0 results from duckduckgo, 46 from google, 0 from bing

livingston site:amblesideonline.org
0 results from duckduckgo, 35 from google, 0 from bing

o henry site:amblesideonline.org
0 results from duckduckgo, 178 from google, 0 from bing

churchill site:amblesideonline.org
5 results from duckduckgo, 166 from google, 5 from bing

just added one more, from the previous post:

washington site:amblesideonline.org
0 results from duckduckgo, 209 from google, 0 from bing

I'm sure that the search engine was chosen for specific reasons, but it seems like the current one is not working (and that Bing wouldn't be any better). Finding 0 results could be very frustrating or lead someone to believe various books are not included only to find out later that their results lead them to the wrong conclusion and they passed on a book they would have otherwise purchased. (Because my guess is that many times people are searching the website to quickly see if a book they have come across is needed for a future year). It is very possible I have a setting that is preventing results from appearing, but I can't think of what it might be (if you know, please tell me!)