AmblesideOnline Forums
Public Domain/Freely Availale Online Books that aren't linked - Printable Version

+- AmblesideOnline Forums (https://amblesideonline.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Welcome Center (https://amblesideonline.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Tech Support (Parent and Student Access) (https://amblesideonline.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Public Domain/Freely Availale Online Books that aren't linked (/showthread.php?tid=54973)

Public Domain/Freely Availale Online Books that aren't linked - mama_kate - 05-05-2024

Someone from the AO Facebook group recommended that I post this here. I've noticed that some books that aren't provided with an archive.org, Gutenberg, or other free public domain link on the AO booklist do actually have free online versions available on archive.org or other sites (mostly archive). Archive.org does require you to create a free account and borrow them by the hour. I know a lot of other AO parents have found these because they are sometimes checked out! But I thought it could be helpful to add those links to the booklists so new AO users know that they're not required to buy those books. Here's my preliminary list, and I'll add more as I come across them:

Benjamin Frankin, Ingri D'Aulaire (Y1)
Poor Richard by James Daughtry (Y4)
Joan of Arc by Diane Stanley (Form 1B groups)
Paddle to the Sea by Holling C Holling (Y1)

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Public Domain/Freely Availale Online Books that aren't linked - MonicaC - 05-05-2024

This is a good idea because for a long time I thought archive was another site for only public domain books. I’ll add that Squanto by Ziner is also available. It isn’t on the main schedule anymore, but I think it’s listed as an alternative for Landing of the Pilgrims.

RE: Public Domain/Freely Availale Online Books that aren't linked - CrazyMama - 05-05-2024

I read Squanto on archive and we enjoyed it so much! It was worth reading it overtime and remembering where we had last left off for us to borrow it again.

RE: Public Domain/Freely Availale Online Books that aren't linked - LeslieNoelani - 05-05-2024

I'll wait to link these on the website. Archive.org is going through some legal troubles right now, and I'm not sure they'll be allowed to continue loaning ebooks.

RE: Public Domain/Freely Availale Online Books that aren't linked - mama_kate - 05-07-2024

(05-05-2024, 12:06 PM)mama_kate Wrote: Someone from the AO Facebook group recommended that I post this here. I've noticed that some books that aren't provided with an archive.org, Gutenberg, or other free public domain link on the AO booklist do actually have free online versions available on archive.org or other sites (mostly archive). Archive.org does require you to create a free account and borrow them by the hour. I know a lot of other AO parents have found these because they are sometimes checked out! But I thought it could be helpful to add those links to the booklists so new AO users know that they're not required to buy those books. Here's my preliminary list, and I'll add more as I come across them:

Benjamin Frankin, Ingri D'Aulaire (Y1)
Poor Richard by James Daughtry (Y4)
Joan of Arc by Diane Stanley (Form 1B groups)
Paddle to the Sea by Holling C Holling (Y1)

I'm not able to delete my post but it definitely makes sense to wait for that before linking to them. Thank you Leslie!

RE: Public Domain/Freely Availale Online Books that aren't linked - lklivingston - 05-07-2024

We wouldn't want you to delete your post anyway! This information may be helpful to others.