A new kind of Plutarch book
Announcements/RE: A new kind of Plutarch book
(07-20-2021, 11:19 PM)etihwnyrhtak Wrote: I just thought of this as an example... I teach ESL students online and in person. When I teach, I always use the framework of, "I do, we do, you do." So first I demonstrate a new skill to them (I do), then I do that new skill with them (we do), then I have them try to practice the new skill on their own (you do). I feel like Publicola was the "I do" with  Anne demonstrating. But I needed a "we do" before getting to the "you do" where I implemented it on my own. To me, "Practical Plutarch" feels like that "we do" step.

I like that way of putting it!
Anne White, Southern Ontario
My book page at Amazon
Thank you! Mine just arrived and I’ve been enjoying it tremendously!
(07-21-2021, 11:48 PM)Colby1 Wrote: Thank you! Mine just arrived and I’ve been enjoying it tremendously!

Wonderful!
My book page at Amazon
Thank you! We pulled back in Y4 last year and did Mrs. Beasley. Looking forward to doing Eumenes next!
The following 1 user Likes sundowner's post:
  • AnneWhite
Just had to update- after we finished Eumenes, we moved on to Julius Caesar since DD is doing that in Shakespeare this term. We're about halfway through his life (doing it bc it's FUN and reading it without any guide). Previously,  I procrastinated Plutarch for 2 years. Now, I'm not sure why. It doesn't seem difficult at all after reading it through the lens of the book.

Some of the most helpful things were not worrying about getting bogged down in every name and detail, discerning which things are helpful to have background on versus not necessary, and viewing reading Plutarch as attending a dinner party with lots of people.

If there's something I'm not understanding, able to categorize in my mind, or a person I'm not sure of, it doesn't bug me as it did before. I am able to just move on and think, "No big deal. I wouldn't necessarily know everyone or hear the entire thread of every conversation at a dinner party, so it's okay."

I know that these things have been said on the forum and in other ways, but the guidance and leading in the book really was helpful for me for my thinking. The humor with which it was presented as an introduction to a subject that seemed daunting was helpful also. DD and I enjoyed reading the set up to beginning the life of Eumenes. So...thanks again!
The following 3 users Like etihwnyrhtak's post:
  • COMama, Dawn Duran, RWendel
(09-16-2021, 02:03 PM)etihwnyrhtak Wrote: Just had to update- after we finished Eumenes, we moved on to Julius Caesar since DD is doing that in Shakespeare this term. We're about halfway through his life (doing it bc it's FUN and reading it without any guide). Previously,  I procrastinated Plutarch for 2 years. Now, I'm not sure why. It doesn't seem difficult at all after reading it through the lens of the book.

Some of the most helpful things were not worrying about getting bogged down in every name and detail, discerning which things are helpful to have background on versus not necessary, and viewing reading Plutarch as attending a dinner party with lots of people.

If there's something I'm not understanding, able to categorize in my mind, or a person I'm not sure of, it doesn't bug me as it did before. I am able to just move on and think, "No big deal. I wouldn't necessarily know everyone or hear the entire thread of every conversation at a dinner party, so it's okay."

I know that these things have been said on the forum and in other ways, but the guidance and leading in the book really was helpful for me for my thinking. The humor with which it was presented as an introduction to a subject that seemed daunting was helpful also. DD and I enjoyed reading the set up to beginning the life of Eumenes. So...thanks again!

Your update is wonderful! I'm so glad the book helped!
My book page at Amazon

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Our book is here! Donna-Jean 13 11,315 10-18-2023, 05:11 AM
Last Post: heddsomewhere
  Our new book! Donna-Jean 13 12,054 10-13-2023, 12:32 PM
Last Post: Zoo Keeper
  Three updated Plutarch studies on the website AnneWhite 12 50,098 02-01-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Lesleydawn328
  Living Book Press discount code lklivingston 0 6,308 03-25-2022, 09:28 PM
Last Post: lklivingston
  Plutarch Revisions are Coming AnneWhite 18 66,270 07-18-2021, 12:10 PM
Last Post: saraclaude
  A New Book Buying Option for AO Users! LeslieNoelani 7 30,603 03-28-2021, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Subversive Gardener
  Extra Plutarch year will be added AnneWhite 7 35,660 09-04-2020, 08:08 AM
Last Post: AnneWhite
  AO Book Bag? AO Coffee Mug? LeslieNoelani 67 910,536 09-13-2015, 12:22 PM
Last Post: BarbaraM