Want to Connect With AO on Facebook?
Announcements/RE: Want to Connect With AO on Facebook?
We need more chatty threads then. ;)
8 kids in AO years 2-11. After traveling fulltime for 3 years, we settled in Alabama.... for now! 
The following 6 users Like michelle dawn's post:
  • Amy Jo Hines, Celeste, COMama, LeslieNoelani, MargaretT, phoebebopeep
I've given this a lot of thought and I *think* the most active users on the forum have all moved on to a level of understanding that doesn't require constant discussion and/or seeking like we did a few years ago. It's hard to explain but a while back we all, it seemed to me, making these intense connections and leaps and forays into new areas of study all together. So if the AA is the alumni of CM, most of the forum users are juniors or seniors who are actually quite busy preparing.

Now this is a total global perspective generalization coming up but bear with me.
The most active users on the forum have almost always been composed by people who have time. Women with only one kid or women with high school kids. Once the newbies become competent enough to utilize what we know we tend to, gasp, start using it. So then we're too busy to discuss as much. The thing is... I know we're all still deepening our roots at a great pace but we're not doing it all the same way. To keep the forum thriving the onus really is on us though. We need to be continually honest, vulnerable, seeking, and pursuing answers among this community. We also need to lovingly encourage newbies to ask questions that we've already answered 4,657 times before because otherwise they won't open up and share what's going on in their life.

AO really does have the same dynamic as a church body. It worries me a little because I wonder how we will (as a community) go to the next level of growth. In church terms, that's when we start making new churches. So, the advent of CM retreats and meetings, schools, books and everything is the fruit from those years and years that so many different Moms were working towards.

Sorry this is me typing crazy fast trying to make lots of points. I personally think the Mothers Educational Course or training courses in general are going to be the next big thing we're all working together to create. I can see that but I don't know how to get there... And I'm a just a little part. Sigh
Katie
Laughing fellow rover in Spain, stumbling towards Christ with a hubby and two boys that are more precious than gold. (Currently in Y7 and Y5)
Announcements/Want to Connect With AO on Facebook?
(10-31-2015, 03:58 AM)Primeperiwinkle Wrote: I've given this a lot of thought and I *think* the most active users on the forum have all moved on to a level of understanding that doesn't require constant discussion and/or seeking like we did a few years ago. It's hard to explain but a while back we all, it seemed to me, making these intense connections and leaps and forays into new areas of study all together. So if the AA is the alumni of CM, most of the forum users are juniors or seniors who are actually quite busy preparing.

Now this is a total global perspective generalization coming up but bear with me.
The most active users on the forum have almost always been composed by people who have time. Women with only one kid or women with high school kids. Once the newbies become competent enough to utilize what we know we tend to, gasp, start using it. So then we're too busy to discuss as much. The thing is... I know we're all still deepening our roots at a great pace but we're not doing it all the same way. To keep the forum thriving the onus really is on us though. We need to be continually honest, vulnerable, seeking, and pursuing answers among this community. We also need to lovingly encourage newbies to ask questions that we've already answered 4,657 times before because otherwise they won't open up and share what's going on in their life.

AO really does have the same dynamic as a church body. It worries me a little because I wonder how we will (as a community) go to the next level of growth. In church terms, that's when we start making new churches. So, the advent of CM retreats and meetings, schools, books and everything is the fruit from those years and years that so many different Moms were working towards.

Sorry this is me typing crazy fast trying to make lots of points. I personally think the Mothers Educational Course or training courses in general are going to be the next big thing we're all working together to create. I can see that but I don't know how to get there... And I'm a just a little part. Sigh

I agree with this, but then there's not a huge group below us asking the newbie questions. They are mostly over in the Facebook group and don't seem to see the value in taking the time to come here.

Or they are all just lurking??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mary Frances
mom to David (Age 17, YR11), Grant (Age 14, YR8) and Lucy (Age 13, YR8) and Ella (Age 6, YR 1)
(10-31-2015, 04:08 AM)MaryFrances Wrote: I agree with this, but then there's not a huge group below us asking the newbie questions. They are mostly over in the Facebook group and don't seem to see the value in taking the time to come here.

Or they are all just lurking??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am a newbie here. I left Facebook a while back and so really appreciate this space. I am really nervous about posting much, though. I guess because it feels more permanent and somehow what I have to say feels dumb. :-)
Mom to one DD, Y4
Louisiana, U.S.A.

“If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world.” - C.S. Lewis

The following 5 users Like phoebebopeep's post:
  • Janice, juliebugg, ozark mama, Primeperiwinkle, Subversive Gardener
Announcements/Want to Connect With AO on Facebook?
I'm just too brain dead to post. And to read for the book discussions. I do agree about the back to school rush, and I think the in person conferences are a great next step. I love how they are springing up, and perhaps in addition to the mother's education course some of those who have organized conferences can share tips.

After I get settled somewhat I want to start a group, even if I have to recruit people. Two of my "about CM" books made the cut because they might help me find/convert others to CM. So I will be pestering y'all with questions on that, probably in the spring.

Added to that, it's nearly November. We are on week 2 or 3 still of our fall term I think. The artist prints are hanging up in the room still, but the maps are down/packed. We play the folksongs and composer and hymns on occasion. Oh and my kids are either running wild or being babysat by electrical devices. So I do not feel qualified to advise anyone.

I know I'm not the only one under high stress right now. And I miss you all, I miss reading AO books, and I miss reading period.

Any way, sample size of one. :) (Oh, and I nearly quit Facebook. I ended up removing all groups and pages from my Facebook feed, because I was missing my friends.
Amy, who wishes to be a hobbit :)
Two homeschool graduates (DS20, DS19)
Currently homeschooling (DS16, DD13)
The following 4 users Like Amy Jo Hines's post:
  • laurke, Primeperiwinkle, Purposeful Abnegation, Subversive Gardener
Most newbies don't start asking questions until another newbie really expresses a deep desire to understand a similar problem.. So it becomes chicken or the egg I think. The newbies don't ask so then the other newbies who feel the same way don't even know that they're not alone.

And..... Sometimes... We come across as pretty intimidating. I mean.. We're so excited to have somebody ask that we throw out a ton of advice and questions and then they run away... I think? I dunno. I think views per thread has really dropped but that might just be my perception.
Katie
Laughing fellow rover in Spain, stumbling towards Christ with a hubby and two boys that are more precious than gold. (Currently in Y7 and Y5)
Just to add... I feel totally ridiculous chiming in here because for all intents and purposes I AM a newbie. It's just.. All my friends are you guys and I have to admit that I post a lot.. So.. Oh whatever.

Anyhoo. The culprits are definitely busy-ness and then there's really no clear plan (or desire? Let's talk about that for real shall we?) in place to bring seekers in to a more developed role of "active" member in the community. It's on them. And let's face it... This is the most rigorous, mentally and emotionally challenging curriculum out there. How many people REALLY want to change AND have time to be our friend?!? Like, 1 percent right? I mean.. INTJ's are supposedly 2% of the ENTIRE population but somehow we have THIRTY of them active on here?!? (I'm not actually exaggerating. There are a ton of us. Okay. That was an exaggeration. Whatever!)

My point is getting the cool kids to get on and stay on and participate is pretty hard. Oh. If you're reading this, I DO NOT CARE about your insecurity issues, you ARE cool. Duh. *slaps head*

See what I mean?
Katie
(10-31-2015, 12:33 AM)Dawn Girl Wrote: One way I gauge the activity Forum is by choosing "View Today's Posts" and then looking how many pages of threads are there.  Typically there are 3 or 4.  Sometimes, mainly weekends, there are 2.  One day recently (in the last few months), we made it to 5!  I think I would say the Forum has slowed down if we consistently only have 2 pages during the week.

It would be sad if the Forum slowed down.  I am noticing many more serious questions on Facebook, and the discussions for those questions are occurring on Facebook.  There was one I was disappointed to have missed--by that I mean that the discussion was not taking place on the Forum.  I wish I could remember what it was.  It was a very good discussion with quite a few of the AA taking part.

I'm not opposed to Facebook; I just don't know how to proceed with it in a useful way.  To me, it is random and chaotic.  I'm hoping over time, as I go there, it begins to make sense.

It *is* random and chaotic.  I think that's something people like there.  I don't mind it.  I'm a little random and chaotic myself.  
I keep meaning to repost some of the comments, reworded if necessary, here in the forum so that the good ideas are easier to find again later, and I have done that a couple of times, but not nearly often enough. 
Wendi C, Advisory, mom to 7, grandma to 14
Education for All, CM Journal/e-zine
Blog: WendiWanders
The following 1 user Likes WendiC's post:
  • Dawn Rhymer
(10-31-2015, 06:59 AM)WendiC Wrote: It *is* random and chaotic.  I think that's something people like there.  I don't mind it.  I'm a little random and chaotic myself.  
I keep meaning to repost some of the comments, reworded if necessary, here in the forum so that the good ideas are easier to find again later, and I have done that a couple of times, but not nearly often enough. 

I have been thinking about this a lot today, and you answered one  con I saw to Facebook:  it seems like a bottomless pit where the information can get lost to future generations.  Thank you for preserving some of it for us.
Dawn, Georgia
"Knowledge is love and light and vision."  Helen Keller
Blogging at the CMER Blog.
The following 6 users Like Dawn Rhymer's post:
  • carpeaeternitatem, COMama, laurke, MelisaH, ozark mama, phoebebopeep
Speaking of Newbies...maybe some of them would enjoy reading When Children Love to Learn with us. Perhaps someone could announce that discussion on Facebook.

Original Thread.

Week 0: Schedule
Dawn, Georgia
"Knowledge is love and light and vision."  Helen Keller
Blogging at the CMER Blog.
The following 5 users Like Dawn Rhymer's post:
  • Amy Jo Hines, lklivingston, MargaretT, MelisaH, phoebebopeep

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Have you liked our Facebook page? Brandy Vencel 13 238,195 12-18-2012, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Dawn Duran