Want to Connect With AO on Facebook?
Announcements/Want to Connect With AO on Facebook?
It became clear in the comments to one FB post today that the links to the forum don't seem to work if you are on your phone. That may be frustrating some.

I was able to replicate what that person described because I am not logged on to the forums in my phone browser..... And it wasn't recognizing that I have Tapatalk. It was asking if I wanted to download Tapatalk.

Now I'm off to see if I can find or reset my password and see if logging in via the phone browser will change anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mary Frances
mom to David (Age 17, YR11), Grant (Age 14, YR8) and Lucy (Age 13, YR8) and Ella (Age 6, YR 1)
The following 1 user Likes MaryFrances's post:
  • carpeaeternitatem
Announcements/RE: Want to Connect With AO on Facebook?
I think whiteiris is spot on. I have been thinking all night about the comment yesterday that forum threads are "all conversation and no problem solving". Of course, we do have some very long chatty threads, but most of the problem-related threads do stay fairly well on topic and we are trying to problem-solve through the conversation. But it's not a quick band-aid answer, it's a "let's think this through" answer.
- Mandie
Mom to Jack (16 - year 10), Sally (14 - year 9), Molly (11 - year 5), Gareth (9 - year 2), and Sunny (7- year 1)
Occasionally blogging at http://teachingdragonslayers.blogspot.com
(11-04-2015, 10:02 PM)MaryFrances Wrote: It became clear in the comments to one FB post today that the links to the forum don't seem to work if you are on your phone. That may be frustrating some.

I was able to replicate what that person described because I am not logged on to the forums in my phone browser..... And it wasn't recognizing that I have Tapatalk. It was asking if I wanted to download Tapatalk.

Now I'm off to see if I can find or reset my password and see if logging in via the phone browser will change anything.

I've had this problem, too. If I'm interested enough I go to tapatalk and find it, but the links don't work.
- Mandie
Mom to Jack (16 - year 10), Sally (14 - year 9), Molly (11 - year 5), Gareth (9 - year 2), and Sunny (7- year 1)
Occasionally blogging at http://teachingdragonslayers.blogspot.com
(11-04-2015, 10:02 PM)MaryFrances Wrote: It became clear in the comments to one FB post today that the links to the forum don't seem to work if you are on your phone. That may be frustrating some.

So yes, I reset my password and logged in to the forums via the browser on my phone, and now the links to the forum in the FB group will take me to the forums in my browser. For some reason, the phone is not realizing that it should let me view it in Tapatalk. But it's at least workable.
Mary Frances
mom to David (Age 17, YR11), Grant (Age 14, YR8) and Lucy (Age 13, YR8) and Ella (Age 6, YR 1)
The following 1 user Likes MaryFrances's post:
  • Dawn Rhymer
(11-04-2015, 11:25 AM)whiteiris Wrote: Just to chime in, I have been loving the forum reminders I've seen on facebook that Mary Francis has pasted lately.  Like the Christmas Carol reading invitation.  Great idea, MF!

Yes!  Which is why I'm going to have a fabulous picture soon for the When Children Love to Learn discussion.  The picture is remembered!
Dawn, Georgia
"Knowledge is love and light and vision."  Helen Keller
Blogging at the CMER Blog.
The following 3 users Like Dawn Rhymer's post:
  • COMama, MelisaH, whiteiris
(11-04-2015, 11:50 PM)Dawn Girl Wrote: Yes!  Which is why I'm going to have a fabulous picture soon for the When Children Love to Learn discussion.  The picture is remembered!

You actually already have a fabulous picture. I went ahead and posted last night since I wasn't sure of a good way to send it to you for you to post.
Mary Frances
The following 2 users Like MaryFrances's post:
  • lklivingston, whiteiris
(11-04-2015, 11:58 PM)MaryFrances Wrote: You actually already have a fabulous picture. I went ahead and posted last night since I wasn't sure of a good way to send it to you for you to post.

I'm so excited! This is like opening a Christmas present.  I can't wait to go and look.
Dawn, Georgia
The following 1 user Likes Dawn Rhymer's post:
  • whiteiris
I'm speechless. Your picture is beautiful.
Dawn, Georgia
The following 4 users Like Dawn Rhymer's post:
  • COMama, lklivingston, phoebebopeep, whiteiris
A couple thoughts- from time to time the search function for the forum gets clunky- usually not too long before we're ready to do another update, I think. The search function when working is one of the biggest items of superiority points of the forum over FB- but if you happened to try to search for something when it isn't working, that would be frustrating.

The forum is a much bigger learning curve for some of us than FB- FB is almost a flat line when it comes to learning 'curve,' and most of it, everybody already knows. The forum is a more complicated tool- like a swiss army knife, but more complicated tools require more investment of time and mental energy to figure out all their functions. Not everybody is at a season in their lives where they can really cope with one more learning curve, or to figure out the swiss army knife when all they want is a butter knife and right now.

I'm on the Advisory and we've had the forum for how long? And I only just learned that there is a search function on every page that includes a drop down menu so I can refine a search and search by forum, by title, by poster- it's in the darker green box at the top of the page, *above* the search button with a text box. I knew about the *third* search box, the one at the *bottom* of a forum that says 'search this forum," but if I knew about the other, I'd forgotten. 3 search options, each slightly different- and they arent all together in one place. That's kind of confusing.

Tapatalk sometimes glitches for us- now that gets fixed pretty quickly, but, if you happen to finally brave the forum after much reluctance and that happens to be one of those times when Tapatalk failed- well, then it's going to put you off the forum a bit.

I love all the great ideas for helping people figure out the forum and level up to the forum. I love the gracious, tactful encouragement I'm seeing on FB. It would be great to have more of our CM kindred spirits here to discuss deeper ideas on the wider screen of the forum- something about the wider screen itself seems to free my mind to explore more, and of course, obviously it
makes it easier to read longer posts.

But I'm also glad we have FB for those people who need a butter knife right this second, and don't have time or the mental energy to think about figuring out the fourm.
Wendi C, Advisory, mom to 7, grandma to 14
Education for All, CM Journal/e-zine
Blog: WendiWanders
The following 6 users Like WendiC's post:
  • carpeaeternitatem, COMama, laurke, learnbev, michelle dawn, phoebebopeep
(11-04-2015, 11:58 PM)MaryFrances Wrote: You actually already have a fabulous picture. I went ahead and posted last night since I wasn't sure of a good way to send it to you for you to post.
What did you use to create that? It looks great!
Kathy 
For we are God’s handiwork, recreated in Christ Jesus, that we may do those good works which God predestined for us, that we should walk in them.
The following 1 user Likes lklivingston's post:
  • phoebebopeep

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Have you liked our Facebook page? Brandy Vencel 13 238,195 12-18-2012, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Dawn Duran