Want to Connect With AO on Facebook?
Announcements/RE: Want to Connect With AO on Facebook?
(11-04-2015, 11:48 PM)MaryFrances Wrote: So yes, I reset my password and logged in to the forums via the browser on my phone, and now the links to the forum in the FB group will take me to the forums in my browser. For some reason, the phone is not realizing that it should let me view it in Tapatalk. But it's at least workable.
Maybe we need to remind people to log in via the browser before following a link.
Kathy 
For we are God’s handiwork, recreated in Christ Jesus, that we may do those good works which God predestined for us, that we should walk in them.
The following 1 user Likes lklivingston's post:
  • WendiC
Announcements/Want to Connect With AO on Facebook?
(11-05-2015, 09:58 AM)lklivingston Wrote: What did you use to create that? It looks great!

Thanks!
Canva.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mary Frances
mom to David (Age 17, YR11), Grant (Age 14, YR8) and Lucy (Age 13, YR8) and Ella (Age 6, YR 1)
The following 1 user Likes MaryFrances's post:
  • lklivingston
(11-05-2015, 09:45 AM)WendiC Wrote: A couple thoughts- from time to time the search function for the forum gets clunky- usually not too long before we're ready to do another update, I think. The search function when working is one of the biggest items of superiority points of the forum over FB- but if you happened to try to search for something when it isn't working, that would be frustrating.

The forum is a much bigger learning curve for some of us than FB- FB is almost a flat line when it comes to learning 'curve,' and most of it, everybody already knows. The forum is a more complicated tool- like a swiss army knife, but more complicated tools require more investment of time and mental energy to figure out all their functions. Not everybody is at a season in their lives where they can really cope with one more learning curve, or to figure out the swiss army knife when all they want is a butter knife and right now.

I'm on the Advisory and we've had the forum for how long? And I only just learned that there is a search function on every page that includes a drop down menu so I can refine a search and search by forum, by title, by poster- it's in the darker green box at the top of the page, *above* the search button with a text box. I knew about the *third* search box, the one at the *bottom* of a forum that says 'search this forum," but if I knew about the other, I'd forgotten. 3 search options, each slightly different- and they arent all together in one place. That's kind of confusing.

Tapatalk sometimes glitches for us- now that gets fixed pretty quickly, but, if you happen to finally brave the forum after much reluctance and that happens to be one of those times when Tapatalk failed- well, then it's going to put you off the forum a bit.

I love all the great ideas for helping people figure out the forum and level up to the forum. I love the gracious, tactful encouragement I'm seeing on FB. It would be great to have more of our CM kindred spirits here to discuss deeper ideas on the wider screen of the forum- something about the wider screen itself seems to free my mind to explore more, and of course, obviously it
makes it easier to read longer posts.

But I'm also glad we have FB for those people who need a butter knife right this second, and don't have time or the mental energy to think about figuring out the fourm.

So when should we redirect people to the forum and when should we graciously answer their question there? I know we all want to support the Advisory's goals and let people get a feel for this special environment that was created in the Yahoo group and them continued here.

Mary Frances
mom to David (Age 17, YR11), Grant (Age 14, YR8) and Lucy (Age 13, YR8) and Ella (Age 6, YR 1)
There was an update for Tapatalk on my phone tonight. I am quite certain there will be an update on our end as well when I do the forum update. Bear with me. We finally have a few evenings clear coming up and I think I will finally be able to get it done. :)
The following 3 users Like MelisaH's post:
  • Janice, lklivingston, phoebebopeep
(11-05-2015, 11:49 AM)MaryFrances Wrote: So when should we redirect people to the forum and when should we graciously answer their question there? I know we all want to support the Advisory's goals and let people get a feel for this special environment that was created in the Yahoo group and them continued here.

I don't have a good answer.
Kathy 
For we are God’s handiwork, recreated in Christ Jesus, that we may do those good works which God predestined for us, that we should walk in them.
(11-05-2015, 11:47 AM)MaryFrances Wrote: Thanks!
Canva.com

Thanks very much!  I just used that site to make another FB graphic for the group.  Yay!
Kathy 
The following 2 users Like lklivingston's post:
  • MelisaH, phoebebopeep
(11-05-2015, 11:49 AM)MaryFrances Wrote: So when should we redirect people to the forum and when should we graciously answer their question there? I know we all want to support the Advisory's goals and let people get a feel for this special environment that was created in the Yahoo group and them continued here.

We're dealing with human beings, so it's not like there's one right answer.   We want to build the AO/CM community for the sake of the children, not for ourselves.  We're not a business.  So if we keep that goal in mind, it helps keep things in perspective.  It does for me, anyway.  

In general- maybe do a bit of both- a brief answer, and then a link to the forum.  Or write out your answer in the forum and link to it. =)

Sometimes you can kind of tell that people are feeling prickly and frustrated over feeling pushed the forum, and then it's good to back off.  Pushing just makes most of us dig in our heels because we feel like we are not being heard. 

Usually, it works better to let another couple replies go by before linking to the forum, as opposed to linking to the forum in the first response.  I don't know how to explain why that is, but it seems to feel less like a brush-off, maybe.

I love what I am seeing right now, and I appreciate all the help, and I know I am not alone in this.
Wendi C, Advisory, mom to 7, grandma to 14
Education for All, CM Journal/e-zine
Blog: WendiWanders
The following 6 users Like WendiC's post:
  • Dawn Rhymer, Donna-Jean, ElizabethL, Janice, lklivingston, phoebebopeep
(10-31-2015, 04:11 AM)phoebebopeep Wrote: I am a newbie here. I left Facebook a while back and so really appreciate this space. I am really nervous about posting much, though. I guess because it feels more permanent and somehow what I have to say feels dumb.
Oh please don't ever feel like that! I have asked millions of questions here. If I look back over them I can easily think why did I need to ask that?! But I did and it has got me to where I am now which is enjoying a cm life with my children. People here really don't mind answering "simple" questions. Sarah x
Mum to four boys aged 13, 12, 10 and 9. An English family living in Mozambique 
(11-05-2015, 02:24 PM)lklivingston Wrote: Thanks very much!  I just used that site to make another FB graphic for the group.  Yay!

I saw that! And they look great! One thing that may smooth the path for some people would be to put links into the description of the photo, so that they can be easily clicked or copied.

Mary Frances
Is anyone here an admin? I have been trying to join the FB group but it seems I am blocked for no reason. Can an admin help unblock me please?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Have you liked our Facebook page? Brandy Vencel 13 238,205 12-18-2012, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Dawn Duran