2016 AO Conference!!! SAVE THE DATE!!!!
Announcements/RE: 2016 AO Conference!!! SAVE THE DATE!!!!
I'm quite new to Charlotte Mason and have just begun Year 1 with my son a few weeks back. I'm looking over the schedule and would love some suggestions as to what breakout sessions I should take. I'd love to learn more detailed information about particular subjects, Nature Study for example, however the Overview and Year 1, Year 2, etc. might be more important for me to be in. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :)
Ambassador to a spirited little boy:
*Tango (age 11) Year 5
 - Northwest Connecticut
The following 2 users Like Mrs.Honey's post:
  • phoebebopeep, Queensuzie2
I am wondering if the breakout session on CM study groups means the kind of group where the parents are studying CM's writings or does this mean CM co-op? I am guessing it is the first option, just trying to get clarity.
Wife to my highschool archenemy and mother of 4, AO Year 9, Year 7, Year 4, Year 0.  "Mothers work wonders once they are convinced that wonders are demanded of them." Charlotte Mason
(04-26-2016, 03:53 PM)Mrs.Honey Wrote: I'm quite new to Charlotte Mason and have just begun Year 1 with my son a few weeks back. I'm looking over the schedule and would love some suggestions as to what breakout sessions I should take. I'd love to learn more detailed information about particular subjects, Nature Study for example, however the Overview and Year 1, Year 2, etc. might be more important for me to be in. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

I think it would great if they made a newbie conference track. I have only done AO for two and a half years, so I am newish myself, but I would think the following might be good from my own experience on the CM learning curve especially if you have children younger than year 1:

Nature Study
Music Study
Atmosphere
Foreign Language

All of those topics are so different than a "normal" school paradigm. Or you could just stick with the year overviews as they will go into a bit of each of the subjects Ii would guess.
Wife to my highschool archenemy and mother of 4, AO Year 9, Year 7, Year 4, Year 0.  "Mothers work wonders once they are convinced that wonders are demanded of them." Charlotte Mason
The following 3 users Like CrazyMama's post:
  • KimSanDiego, Mrs.Honey, Purposeful Abnegation
(04-27-2016, 09:20 AM)CrazyMama Wrote: Nature Study
Music Study
Atmosphere

I will be taking these (I think [:P cheesy, cheesy!]) along with *possibly* Years 11 & 12! [cheesy grin]
"You have to have a strong will to give it up [to God]." ~ Mother Alexandra ~ former Princess Ileana of Romania
Katherine ~ Orthodox Christian ~ Happily Married
God Has Heard and Manifested Himself (5, Y0) , Gentleman (1, Y0), & Light-Giving Spirit (Due Summer '24)
The following 2 users Like Purposeful Abnegation's post:
  • Mrs.Honey, phoebebopeep
(04-27-2016, 09:14 AM)CrazyMama Wrote: I am wondering if the breakout session on CM study groups means the kind of group where the parents are studying CM's writings or does this mean CM co-op?   I am guessing it is the first option, just trying to get clarity.

The first option.
Kathy 
For we are God’s handiwork, recreated in Christ Jesus, that we may do those good works which God predestined for us, that we should walk in them.
The following 1 user Likes lklivingston's post:
  • CrazyMama
I have to tell of our adventure today, God has humor. We went to a student event at Scarborough fair today ( which is just 6 miles down the road from the conference center, but honestly it totally slipped my mind today). So on the way home we took a detour visiting a friend. We had to drive through a construction site with one side closed. Suddenly the truck in front of my with a trailer slipped on hit the trailer. It got stuck. All of us had to back up and I had to try to figure out how to get to my friend. We noticed a dirt road on the side. Someone told us to turn right at the next street, which said Lakeview camp( and yes sorry I didn't get it) So we drove through the camp and arrived safely at our friends place. A few hours later it dawned on me where we drove through: yes our AO camp site. Duhhh, I had to laugh. God sure has humor. My children noticed the big water park on the backside of the camp. Just had share our adventure today. See you guys soon. Blessings, Friederike
(04-26-2016, 03:53 PM)Mrs.Honey Wrote: I'm quite new to Charlotte Mason and have just begun Year 1 with my son a few weeks back. I'm looking over the schedule and would love some suggestions as to what breakout sessions I should take. I'd love to learn more detailed information about particular subjects, Nature Study for example, however the Overview and Year 1, Year 2, etc. might be more important for me to be in. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

I really don't know how to advise you!  I think all the sessions could be applicable to someone just starting out.  Because of our numbers, it's possible some sessions may fill up, so that may help you decide.  :-p

Really, we tried to be sure each timeslot had sessions that were practical, how to, as well as sessions that were more theoretical, why.  Think about what you need more of, the how to or the why, and maybe that will guide you a bit.  Or maybe you'd like a mix!
Kathy 
For we are God’s handiwork, recreated in Christ Jesus, that we may do those good works which God predestined for us, that we should walk in them.
  • Mrs.Honey
(04-27-2016, 09:20 AM)CrazyMama Wrote: I think it would great if they made a newbie conference track. I have only done AO for two and a half years, so I am newish myself, but I would think the following might be good from my own experience on the CM learning curve especially if you have children younger than year 1:

Nature Study
Music Study
Atmosphere
Foreign Language

All of those topics are so different than a "normal" school paradigm. Or you could just stick with the year overviews as they will go into a bit of each of the subjects Ii would guess.

(04-27-2016, 11:30 AM)Purposeful Abnegation Wrote: I will be taking these (I think [:P cheesy, cheesy!]) along with *possibly* Years 11 & 12! [cheesy grin]

(04-27-2016, 01:53 PM)lklivingston Wrote: I really don't know how to advise you!  I think all the sessions could be applicable to someone just starting out.  Because of our numbers, it's possible some sessions may fill up, so that may help you decide.  :-p

Really, we tried to be sure each timeslot had sessions that were practical, how to, as well as sessions that were more theoretical, why.  Think about what you need more of, the how to or the why, and maybe that will guide you a bit.  Or maybe you'd like a mix!

Thank you, girls! :) I really appreciate the feedback! I think anything I can get into would be great at this point. Haha
Ambassador to a spirited little boy:
*Tango (age 11) Year 5
 - Northwest Connecticut
The following 2 users Like Mrs.Honey's post:
  • phoebebopeep, Purposeful Abnegation
I know y'all are going to try and record the conference. Have you thought about recording with Zoom? You need a computer with a video and will have to download Zoom and then you can record and save.
We almost certainly will not be recording video.
Kathy 
  • Amy Jo Hines

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Save the Date! Donna-Jean 86 537,028 10-18-2018, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Queensuzie2
  Third conference plenary AO Forum 8 108,060 03-19-2017, 07:15 AM
Last Post: Meshelle911
  Christmas Break 2016 lklivingston 7 112,502 02-01-2017, 06:19 AM
Last Post: Heivices
  Conference Resources (notes & things promised at the Heart of AO Conf 2016) NaomiG 26 366,938 08-29-2016, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Phyllis
  Next conference plenary (extra special!) AO Forum 10 140,573 07-31-2016, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Peacefully Buzzing
  Conference audio! AO Forum 28 357,057 07-29-2016, 06:42 AM
Last Post: islavet
  Second conference plenary! AO Forum 24 308,607 07-28-2016, 09:15 PM
Last Post: BecTasmanian
  Folksongs 2016-2017 lklivingston 4 70,317 06-21-2016, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Subversive Gardener
  Conference scholarships! WendiC 11 153,051 05-23-2016, 11:36 PM
Last Post: mcsorleyfam
  2016 Conference - What to Bring lklivingston 10 136,566 05-18-2016, 02:54 PM
Last Post: phoebebopeep