PHISHING SCAM ALERT - Inchcape Rock Painting
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/PHISHING SCAM ALERT - Inchcape Rock Painting
Hi!

I just wanted to post a quick warning about a broken link in the Y1 lesson plans. Under the 36-week detailed plans, for week 16, Fifty Famous Stories Retold "Inchcape Rock," it is suggested you take a look at Peter Graham's painting on the same subject. I clicked on this link this morning, and my computer immediately started beeping loudly with a warning message saying that it had encountered an error and not to close my web browser because it would result in data loss. It then told me to call Microsoft support, and gave me the number. I (stupidly) called the number, and soon realized it was a scam . . . the guy asked for remote access to my laptop, told me my laptop had all sorts of malware and adware installed on it, told me to take it to Office Max for a $500-$600 clean-up of my computer, and then asked for my zip code to see if I'd qualify for a "discount" where they'd do it for me instead for only $300. That's when I hung up on him, because I realized I'd fallen for a scam. I have spent the entire morning on the phone with our bank, credit cards, etc., changing passwords, changing account numbers, etc., because this is the computer I use for all of our online banking and shopping, and I'm pretty sure he stole some of our info while he was on my laptop. I feel so stupid!!! [I want to hide my head under a bag!] Anyway, all this to say DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID!!! If you click on that link, DON'T call the number! Just close your browser. Nothing will happen to your computer.  If you did happen to fall prey to it, and called the number and did give them access to your computer, follow my computer-guru brother-in-law's advice, and reset your computer (reinstall windows, wipe your computer completely clean like you are going to sell it). It's the only way to guarantee that the scammer does not have back-door access to your computer. And please, whoever maintains the website, please take that link down ASAP. Thank you!
Melissa ~ Mom to RivendellRose (15), Narsil (14), Little Bit (11), and Turbo (9)
The following 4 users Like MelAnne's post:
  • GoodQueenBess, phoebebopeep, Purposeful Abnegation, Subversive Gardener
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/RE: PHISHING SCAM ALERT - Inchcape Rock Painting
So sorry to hear that happened. You may want to post something about this in the tech support area, too.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
Mom to one DD, Y4
Louisiana, U.S.A.

“If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world.” - C.S. Lewis

The following 1 user Likes phoebebopeep's post:
  • Purposeful Abnegation
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/RE: PHISHING SCAM ALERT - Inchcape Rock Painting
I found a different link for the painting and linked the new link from the Year 1 schedules:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/...rock-81264

It's a BBC link, so it should remain safe for awhile.
"Our aim in Education is to give a Full Life." -- Mom to 4 AO Graduates, Grandma to 3
"Practically, nearly, almost and in all ways visible to normal mortals Invincible" (due to the diplomatic immunity of Admin.) [cheesy grin]
The following 5 users Like LeslieNoelani's post:
  • Brandy Vencel, COMama, MelisaH, Purposeful Abnegation, Subversive Gardener
(02-02-2016, 09:05 AM)LeslieNoelani Wrote: I found a different link for the painting and linked the new link from the Year 1 schedules:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/...rock-81264

It's a BBC link, so it should remain safe for awhile.

So the link has been fixed?
Melissa ~ Mom to RivendellRose (15), Narsil (14), Little Bit (11), and Turbo (9)
Unfortunately, this a very common scam. They call people homes as well. I got a call from a suspicious number today, looked it up online and sure enough - the very same scam as this. The site may or may not have been hacked....or, you picked up a virus on another site and it just happened to alert you as you landed on the Inchcape site (drive-by viruses happen a LOT out there). The site is blocked by OpenDNS on our system, so I cannot test it out (probably a good thing, even though I used the laptop that is used by the children and no biggie if it needed a re-load. So sorry this happened to you.

I am glad that Leslie found a new image so quickly!
(02-02-2016, 12:17 PM)MelisaH Wrote: The site is blocked by OpenDNS on our system, so I cannot test it out

When I clicked on it (using a Linux computer) it looked like a domain that was for sale or something.

The link has been fixed, but you may need to "refresh" the page to get the new link to show up in your browser.
"Our aim in Education is to give a Full Life." -- Mom to 4 AO Graduates, Grandma to 3
"Practically, nearly, almost and in all ways visible to normal mortals Invincible" (due to the diplomatic immunity of Admin.) [cheesy grin]
(02-02-2016, 02:13 PM)LeslieNoelani Wrote: When I clicked on it (using a Linux computer) it looked like a domain that was for sale or something.

The link has been fixed, but you may need to "refresh" the page to get the new link to show up in your browser.

Interesting.
MelAnne,
I just realized what a dork I am. This IS the Tech Support area. I could not see that when I was on my phone. Thanks for letting us know. :-)
Mom to one DD, Y4
Louisiana, U.S.A.

“If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world.” - C.S. Lewis

The following 1 user Likes phoebebopeep's post:
  • MelisaH