AO for Groups is Here!
Announcements/AO for Groups is Here!
(07-25-2017, 05:36 AM)EmilyT Wrote: What is the dynamic when you have all four together? I often find that working with 1-2 of my children at once is much easier than trying to manage the dynamics of group work.

At your children's ages, I would expect to read everything aloud regardless of whether you use traditional AO or AO for groups. AO for groups would only be helpful if you use Form 1 for everyone.

If you put them in years 1 and 2, you could still read Tales from Shakespeare, Parables from Nature and Pilgrim's Progress together (we read Little Pilgrim's Progress when I had boys in years 1 and 2).Regardless of what you choose, there is still much you can do together: artist study, composer study, drawing, handicrafts, folksongs, hymns, and nature study (and probably more that I missed!). You could also enjoy poetry and free read read-alouds together as a group (any of the form 1 recommendations would be appropriate for your kids).

I know I can do things like artist, composer, hymns, poetry together. I guess I'm not seeing how we can combine Bible, history, natural history, & literature if each year assigns something different. I would definitely be doing everything with them and reading aloud since no one is independent yet. I just see two completely separate curricula, which if I run then separately for things that are different I'll be teaching 4.5 hrs a day, plus things we do together. Then that begs the question what do I do with one set while the other is doing school?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~ Jen K.
Announcements/RE: AO for Groups is Here!
You can combine those other subjects by choosing to do EITHER the Year 1 or Year 2 choice with all of them. That's similar to what AO4Groups does.
Kathy 
For we are God’s handiwork, recreated in Christ Jesus, that we may do those good works which God predestined for us, that we should walk in them.
The following 1 user Likes lklivingston's post:
  • Janice
These links might help with understanding.

https://afterthoughtsblog.net/2015/05/vi...-post.html

https://afterthoughtsblog.net/2015/04/de...-post.html
Mom of 5 boys and a baby girl 
2 AO graduates!  Currently working through years 9, 3 & 1.  
The following 1 user Likes Janice's post:
  • lklivingston
I'm sorry if this has already been addressed, but are there exams for 2.0/ AO for Groups? I saw exams for traditional AO.
Thanks!
(08-01-2017, 05:23 AM)LMMason Wrote: I'm sorry if this has already been addressed, but are there exams for 2.0/ AO for Groups? I saw exams for traditional AO.
Thanks!

There aren't yet, but there should be by the time they're needed (in twelve weeks).
"Our aim in Education is to give a Full Life." -- Mom to 4 AO Graduates, Grandma to 3
"Practically, nearly, almost and in all ways visible to normal mortals Invincible" (due to the diplomatic immunity of Admin.) [cheesy grin]
Thank you so much for doing this! I plan on doing this with my younger 2 in form 1 as they are only 20 months apart. I am also thinking I want to plan a start to the AO composer and artist rotation instead just jumping in form I as some artists/ composers seem more accessible than others.
Sarah
y3(9g), y1(7b), y0(5b) 
(09-28-2017, 07:29 AM)Sarah Wrote: Thank you so much for doing this! I plan on doing this with my younger 2 in form 1 as they are only 20 months apart. I am also thinking I want to plan a start to the AO composer and artist rotation instead just jumping in form I as some artists/ composers seem more accessible than others.

Just a thought: We're following the composer rotation, but we also do one children's classic every term. We're currently doing The Sleeping Beauty ballet. There's a term of children's classics in the rotation but I'll adjust that differently as I'm enjoying spreading them out this way instead. :)
Lynette, Mom of 6 (ddY8 & sons Y6, Y4, Y2, 5…. &baby girl) Ps 39:5
O LORD, what is man that you regard him, or the son of man that you think of him? Man is like a breath, his days are like a passing shadow. Psalm 144:4
The following 1 user Likes amerebreath's post:
  • Sarah
(10-08-2017, 09:36 AM)amerebreath Wrote: Just a thought: We're following the composer rotation, but we also do one children's classic every term. We're currently doing The Sleeping Beauty ballet. There's a term of children's classics in the rotation but I'll adjust that differently as I'm enjoying spreading them out this way instead. :)

Oooh...I like that idea! 

My plan for the next few years is to do all the artists on AO's rotation from the Knights of Art and the composers from the Opal Wheeler biographies (via ILL until I can afford the set). These seem more approachable to me as I have never studied art or classical music and am at ends to know where to begin learning, much less teaching! Also, as I plan on purchasing CDs of the composers we study, I would rather begin with the better known ones so those get the most replays while they are growing up. I am slightly ashamed to admit that before this year the only classical music CD in my house was the one the kids listen to while falling asleep. Oh, and I plan on reading the Music Talks with Children with the kids this year. And I plan on doing the Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra this year.
Sarah
y3(9g), y1(7b), y0(5b) 
Curious if there will be chart schedules like the main AO years? If not, not a big deal! I don't wish to add anything to your load; just wondering :)
Blossom- AO Grads, '15 & '17. Children are born persons
Online classesBooks: Lulu and BlurbSet Your Feet, book 'reviews'

Aren't there chart schedules?

There are - they're linked from their weekly html webpage (look how I managed to use all three variations of there/they're/their in the same sentence! [cheesy grin] )
"Our aim in Education is to give a Full Life." -- Mom to 4 AO Graduates, Grandma to 3
"Practically, nearly, almost and in all ways visible to normal mortals Invincible" (due to the diplomatic immunity of Admin.) [cheesy grin]
The following 2 users Like LeslieNoelani's post:
  • NorthLaurel, Subversive Gardener