AmblesideOnline Poetry Anthologies!
Announcements/RE: AmblesideOnline Poetry Anthologies!
(02-08-2022, 04:13 PM)Mscott07 Wrote: Thank you for these!!

I had one little question because I noticed the front covers say "edited and annotated". Does that mean the poems have actually been edited?

The "edited" refers mostly to the selection and arrangement.

However, a few of the poems are given in a shortened version, either because of length or because of (in a very few cases) a problematic stanza. In that case, our titles include the word "from." 

Also, a few of the poets, such as Emily Dickinson, were already "edited" (by someone else) because there were multiple versions of some of their poems. Tennyson, for example, is often pre-edited in anthologies, with changed spelling and punctuation. We tried to track down the "truest" versions we could, but sometimes we just had to pick one and go with it.
Anne White, Southern Ontario
My book page at Amazon
The following 4 users Like AnneWhite's post:
  • Jeff's Jessie, lklivingston, Subversive Gardener, verkom
Announcements/AmblesideOnline Poetry Anthologies!
I see. What do you mean by problematic stanza? Like not for kids?

I’m just thinking if I use an anthology or find the poems online instead what might the differences be. I was hoping there were no editing of poems, unless there is some reason I’m not understanding. Shouldn’t we be reading these in their original form??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Melissa
Central TX ~ Homeschooling my two boys ~ AO Yr 9 and Yr 5
Problematic more as in using language that is now considered offensive, perhaps in a less-essential stanza of an otherwise wonderful poem. Our editing, though, was almost always simply for length; and any poems that we shortened or used as excerpts have been marked as such. You are of course free to read the full poems from other collections as you consider them appropriate.
My book page at Amazon
Thank you Anne. I just wanted to be sure I understood if there were actual changes to words so I can look up the actual poem and compare and decide. Is it notated by the stanza that it has been changed?

Melissa
Central TX ~ Homeschooling my two boys ~ AO Yr 9 and Yr 5
(02-09-2022, 02:53 AM)Mscott07 Wrote: Thank you Anne. I just wanted to be sure I understood if there were actual changes to words so I can look up the actual poem and compare and decide. Is it notated by the stanza that it has been changed?

No, not by the stanza, that would have been awkward.

*Most* of the poems included are in their original format and length, especially for the upper years.
My book page at Amazon
The following 1 user Likes AnneWhite's post:
  • Janice
Is it ok to do one Anthology Volume as a Family Read Aloud rather than give each kid a volume that corresponds to their AO year? I want to streamline AO Poetry to fit our morning time, but if it will cause them to miss connections with their corresponding AO years, I don't want to do it. My Students are AO Y0, AO Y3, AO Y4. Thanks! I love the Printed Ambleside Online Anthologies by the way!

Thanks so much!
-Sarah
I think that would be fine!

Sent from my SM-A136U using Tapatalk
Kathy 
For we are God’s handiwork, recreated in Christ Jesus, that we may do those good works which God predestined for us, that we should walk in them.
The following 2 users Like lklivingston's post:
  • AnneWhite, Morrisoncrew
I do too

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Mary Frances
mom to David (Age 17, YR11), Grant (Age 14, YR8) and Lucy (Age 13, YR8) and Ella (Age 6, YR 1)
The following 2 users Like MaryFrances's post:
  • AnneWhite, Morrisoncrew
What a fun idea! I love it!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AmblesideOnline YouTube Channel lklivingston 2 4,045 11-02-2023, 11:27 PM
Last Post: jadegreen
  The AmblesideOnline Advisory Resource Shelf Donna-Jean 10 13,467 05-26-2023, 07:29 AM
Last Post: dcil2479
  #AOCM2019 AmblesideOnline’s Camp Meeting 2019 Donna-Jean 161 822,171 09-21-2022, 03:35 AM
Last Post: RMcDaris
  AmblesideOnline and Your Privacy LeslieNoelani 3 12,899 02-07-2022, 11:56 PM
Last Post: zoopa
  AO’s poetry volumes in print! Donna-Jean 6 23,245 08-24-2021, 09:18 AM
Last Post: Ozziemama
  Year 6 Term 3 Poetry lklivingston 3 62,474 07-16-2016, 03:12 AM
Last Post: zanfree