A New Version of This Country of Ours - Volume 1
Announcements/A New Version of This Country of Ours - Volume 1
On AmblesideOnline's website, we say that "This Country of Ours is a classic work for which we have found no equal, and it is an important spine in the AO curriculum." We stand by that statement, and we recommend the book for the very end of Year 2, and for all of Years 3, 4, and 5. 

H. E. Marshall's book was published in the United States in 1917, and it therefore has certain terms and expressions that are no longer in usage today. Over the years, I've wanted to update the book, to add some notes and helps that would enhance the reading for a new generation. 

That project is part-way done. I have completed Volume 1, which is chapters 1-28, in an "Annotated, Expanded, and Updated" version. Here are a few of the things that are added or adjusted in this version:

-the sources of Marshall's many quotes are listed, as accurately as possible.
-the removal of outdated or color-based terms for Native people, replacing them with the tribal name wherever possible.  
-a change in terms that are now considered offensive (such as the term for a Native woman). 
-new information that is pertinent (such as links to Viking discoveries, or how the Spotswood Peace Treaty continues to this day). 
-a Pronunciation Guide for names of people or tribes, and definitions of some words that are not easily understood in the context. 
-in some places, a few sentences or paragraphs that add more to the story, where it's helpful. 
-enhanced punctuation, to make read-aloud easier. 
-a switch to American spellings, rather than British spellings. 

All notes are at the end of each chapter, so as not to disrupt the reading. (One additional change: the title of chapter 17 has been changed to "A Year to be Remembered, and the Peace of Pocahontas Ends.") 

In the process of this project, I have been impressed once again by Marshall's passion for the truth, by her fairness, and by her gift of writing. The story of America is compelling, and she has done a worthy job of telling it. This version seeks to follow in her footsteps. 

This version is now available in paperback, hardcover, and in an inexpensive Kindle version. Volume 2 will be available in a few months, with the third volume completed in a similar time period. Volume 4 will be original material, taking the story beyond 1917, for term 1 of year 6. 

Charlotte Mason wrote, "It is never too late to mend but we may not delay to offer such a liberal and generous diet of History to every child in the country as to give weight to his decisions, consideration to his actions and stability to his conduct; that stability, the lack of which has plunged us into many a stormy sea of unrest." 

In this stormy sea of unrest, here is a new look at "This Country of Ours."

(Please know that anyone can still use the original version of TCOO, and the free version online! But if you want the updated version, it is available on Amazon 
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B45CHNDN )
Honored to be an Advisory Member. Mom to 4 (all grown), Mom-Mom to 5 (2 that I homeschool). 
God is safe to trust!  http://www.safetotrust.blogspot.com
Announcements/RE: A New Version of This Country of Ours - Volume 1
Thank you, Donna-Jean! I already bought my copy and we are just starting Year 3 Monday.
Wife to my highschool archenemy and mother of 4, AO Year 9, Year 7, Year 4, Year 0.  "Mothers work wonders once they are convinced that wonders are demanded of them." Charlotte Mason
The following 1 user Likes CrazyMama's post:
  • Donna-Jean
Thank you!! I have been eagerly awaiting this.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
-Carmen
The following 1 user Likes C_Miller's post:
  • Donna-Jean
Thank you for all your hard work on this. :)
Looking forward to reading it.
Zoo Keeper

The following 1 user Likes Zoo Keeper's post:
  • Donna-Jean
Donna-Jean, thank you so much for the hours and hours of work you have put into creating this resource!

All my children are graduated, but I have a grandson who is on his way to being a next generation "AOer" - and I will be purchasing this book for him.

Just wanted to recognize your labor of love and tell you a great big thanks from the Ambleside community!
Mom of three AO graduates. Grandmother to one amazing 2-year-old grandson.
The following 4 users Like Anne Lawson's post:
  • Dawn Duran, Donna-Jean, lklivingston, Zoo Keeper
Yaaaay!!! Thank you!! [Whoopee! smilie] [Heart <3]
Lynette, Mom of 6 (ddY8 & sons Y6, Y4, Y2, 5…. &baby girl) Ps 39:5
O LORD, what is man that you regard him, or the son of man that you think of him? Man is like a breath, his days are like a passing shadow. Psalm 144:4
The following 1 user Likes amerebreath's post:
  • Donna-Jean
Just bought it.  I've read TCOO with 4 students so far, and looking forward to using this new update with the next 4. Thank you for all of your hard work!
Heather
Mom to 8 (AO Years 11/12, 9, 7, 5, 2, 0, 0, and 1 graduate)
The following 1 user Likes HeatherEllen's post:
  • Donna-Jean
Congratulations and thank you!! How exciting that there will be a Volume 4 as well! Can’t wait!
Very thankful for AO! Mama to 4 boys (Y6, Y4, Y2, Y0) + baby girl.
The following 1 user Likes axie86's post:
  • Donna-Jean
How exciting! Congratulations! I am needing to replace our copy, so this is perfect. Thank you!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following 1 user Likes romano122's post:
  • Donna-Jean
So thankful for all your hard work!

Sent from my (usually) smart phone
Elissa ~ Y6, Y3.5, Y1, and Y0 with my sweet boys
The following 1 user Likes Elissa's post:
  • Donna-Jean

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Volume 2 of (updated) “This Country of Ours: The Story of the United States” Donna-Jean 21 24,639 09-12-2023, 07:56 AM
Last Post: marianelson
  Updated Madam How in text-only version (Years 4 and 5) AnneWhite 0 12,436 07-24-2020, 09:40 PM
Last Post: AnneWhite