Some Bible & Science Changes
Announcements/RE: Some Bible & Science Changes
(04-04-2023, 02:20 PM)Sammie2 Wrote: Last year, our non-CM co-op used the Apologia anatomy book for the 5th or 6th graders, so they wanted anatomy for k-2nd, too, but they didn't want me to use the Apologia book. (I might have found the situation slightly stressful  [cheesy grin] ). I wound up using Janice VanCleave's The Human Body for Every Kid for a lot of the class, and I really liked it. I've seen her books recommended on the forum. I don't know that it would be an adequate replacement because I am just not experienced with that, but it might be a place to start. We also have The Way We Work by David Macaulay. I haven't looked at it much but have loved his other books. Those might not be in-depth enough for Y5. I'm not there yet, so I don't know.

I have used The Way We Work several times instead over the years. Along with Blood and Guts.
Lani
mom to 6 (4 graduates and 2 high schoolers)

Overseer AmbleRamble, Moderator Language Arts/Narration, Hot Topics & Mothering Large Families
The following 1 user Likes Lani's post:
  • Sammie2
The Way We Work is more likely to be TOO in depth for Year 5 than it is to be not in depth enough. At that level, I would be inclined to spread it across both Year 5 and Year 6 rather than do it all in Year 5. If you used Blood and Guts too, that might make a great replacement for the Apologia book.
Kathy 
For we are God’s handiwork, recreated in Christ Jesus, that we may do those good works which God predestined for us, that we should walk in them.
The following 2 users Like lklivingston's post:
  • Purposeful Abnegation, Sammie2
With my current year 5, just finishing term 2, we have been using Blood and Guts along with Human Body Theater by Maris Wicks. There is some overlap, but each has a good deal that the other either lacks or explains in different ways. It has gone really well so far.
Shannon

Y6 & Y4 & a dog & 4 fine hens & various caterpillars 
The following 3 users Like ShannonS's post:
  • Mariel, Sammie2, Zoo Keeper
(04-04-2023, 06:24 PM)View Crest Life Wrote: Can you share how you are moving to the new bible schedule for year 4 while still including Joshua and Judges?

Well, I haven't looked at how it breaks down by day, but I'm planning to use Judges, Joshua, (and Ruth? ) for OT in Y4 while using the new Jesus' ministry for NT in both Y4 and Y5. For OT in year 5, we'll use the old year that covers Samuel and Kings in one year (I can't remember what it's called--kings and prophets maybe?).

Again, I haven't broken it down, but I think I can tweak those schedules enough to hit the parts I don't want to miss in elementary and we can fully switch to the new schedule in Y6.
Second Generation Homeschooler w/ one daughter, Year 4
and two daughters, one son, and at least three more babies in heaven.
https://awdowner.com
(04-05-2023, 12:20 AM)lklivingston Wrote: The Way We Work is more likely to be TOO in depth for Year 5 than it is to be not in depth enough.  At that level, I would be inclined to spread it across both Year 5 and Year 6 rather than do it all in Year 5.  If you used Blood and Guts too, that might make a great replacement for the Apologia book.

That is good to know! Especially since we already have The Way We Work.
Second Generation Homeschooler w/ one daughter, Year 4
and two daughters, one son, and at least three more babies in heaven.
https://awdowner.com
Announcements/Some Bible & Science Changes
I have assigned The Way We Work as part of a high school biology course that is a mixture of living books and textbook. The mix of books I chose has a mixture of difficulty levels, some being college level texts. The Way We Work is probably written with the easiest language, but it’s also the one my student has enjoyed and connected with the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mary Frances
mom to David (Age 17, YR11), Grant (Age 14, YR8) and Lucy (Age 13, YR8) and Ella (Age 6, YR 1)
The following 3 users Like MaryFrances's post:
  • Primeperiwinkle, Purposeful Abnegation, Subversive Gardener
(04-05-2023, 03:05 AM)MaryFrances Wrote: I have assigned The Way We Work as part of a high school biology course that is a mixture of living books and textbook. The mix of books I chose has a mixture of difficulty levels, some being college level texts. The Way We Work is probably written with the easiest language, but it’s also the one my student has enjoyed and connected with the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

have you shared more of what you do in more details anywhere else on forum? just being curious :)
Daughter of the King~Wife to the Best~Mother of 4~Lover of Books~
The following 2 users Like bbnaville5's post:
  • Cosettey, Subversive Gardener
(04-05-2023, 12:35 AM)ShannonS Wrote: With my current year 5, just finishing term 2, we have been using Blood and Guts along with Human Body Theater by Maris Wicks. There is some overlap, but each has a good deal that the other either lacks or explains in different ways. It has gone really well so far.

We used CLNR, but my daughter loved Human Body Theater.
public school teacher & homeschool mom
IG: @marielhowsepian
DD 12 (Y7)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Year 9 Science AO Advisory 55 637,680 09-08-2021, 10:05 PM
Last Post: kgkat
  Year 6 Bible Change lklivingston 0 13,042 10-16-2019, 07:55 AM
Last Post: lklivingston
  Science changes for year 8 and 3 Jeanne Webb 31 429,175 09-19-2015, 05:32 AM
Last Post: michelle dawn
  AO Science! Lani 33 509,666 08-08-2014, 01:30 AM
Last Post: Kathy W.
  Science Change: Years 2 and 3/Pagoo LeslieNoelani 1 62,445 11-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Phyllis