AmblesideOnline Forums

Full Version: PM Download/Export --Where do they go?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I just maxed out my storage limit for PMs, so I opted to download and export all of my folders. I assumed that this would go to my computer at some oint, and so chose the option to delete them from my folders once they were exported. I followed the steps, was presented with a page with all of my messages, but there was never given an option to download/export them to my computer. Did I miss it?

Please splain to me what I need to do next time.

Thanks!
(08-07-2012, 09:03 AM)Christo et Doctrinae Wrote: [ -> ]followed the steps, was presented with a page with all of my messages

That page of messages was your download. Did you save a copy?
Ummm... nope.

How was I supposed to save it? It was just a plain webpage. Should I have copied and pasted to a .doc or .pdf?
I think it gave me the option of opening as an html or txt file. I would guess you chose html. You would paste it to whatever you wanted, probably a Word doc or text file.
(08-07-2012, 01:31 PM)LeslieNoelani Wrote: [ -> ]I think it gave me the option of opening as an html or txt file. I would guess you chose html. You would paste it to whatever you wanted, probably a Word doc or text file.

Do you use Firefox? I do and I don't recall seeing that option.

I guess I expected that it was going to actually download or export to my computer in a very obvious way since all along the process it reads things like:
  • "Download Messages"
  • "Delete Exported Messages? Do you want to delete the messages from your folders once they have been exported?"
  • Export File Format Please choose the file type of which to download attachments.
  • Export Private Messages

Is it just me or does that sound a bit misleading? Did I miss something? The only link I saw on the page that it gave me was a link at the very bottom. That link took me back to the main forum page.

It just occurred to me that I could test this by sending myself a PM to try to 'export' again. I did so and the image below is the resulting HTML page. It's identical to my first attempt at 'downloading' my PMs, minus my PMs, of course.

[attachment=25]

How is the average person going to know what to do with this kind of "download"? I know people who still can't copy and paste and they've been online for years.
(08-07-2012, 10:48 AM)LeslieNoelani Wrote: [ -> ]That page of messages was your download. Did you save a copy?

I'm revisiting this issue again, as I've again maxed out on my storage and need to save the PMs.

Would someone explain to me how to save the HTML pages?

I know that I can copy and paste it into a file, and I realize that I can print it directly from the page that I download, but I'm looking for a quick and easy 'download' export option when opting for the HTML version.

All I get as output when I download the HTML option is a nicely organized HTML page in my browser window. (Firefox user here) How do I download/save that?

If the other two options were easily readable, I would use those, but I find that the Excel option produces a mess that I cannot read (at least easily), and the text option isn't much better. I would like to use the HTML.

Ideas?

Thanks!
I thought I was posting on another forum! Oops!

I found the solution to the problem. It was quite simple. *doink*

Once the private messages have been downloaded and the HTML option chosen, an HTML page will be rendered. At that point you may right-click and choose 'save' or 'save as' from the menu that opens.