PM Download/Export --Where do they go?
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/PM Download/Export --Where do they go?
Hi,

I just maxed out my storage limit for PMs, so I opted to download and export all of my folders. I assumed that this would go to my computer at some oint, and so chose the option to delete them from my folders once they were exported. I followed the steps, was presented with a page with all of my messages, but there was never given an option to download/export them to my computer. Did I miss it?

Please splain to me what I need to do next time.

Thanks!
Stephanie  [Heart <3] DS 18
Charlotte Mason Devotees, Since 2004

Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/RE: PM Download/Export --Where do they go?
(08-07-2012, 09:03 AM)Christo et Doctrinae Wrote: followed the steps, was presented with a page with all of my messages

That page of messages was your download. Did you save a copy?
"Our aim in Education is to give a Full Life." -- Mom to 4 AO Graduates, Grandma to 3
"Practically, nearly, almost and in all ways visible to normal mortals Invincible" (due to the diplomatic immunity of Admin.) [cheesy grin]
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/RE: PM Download/Export --Where do they go?
Ummm... nope.

How was I supposed to save it? It was just a plain webpage. Should I have copied and pasted to a .doc or .pdf?

I think it gave me the option of opening as an html or txt file. I would guess you chose html. You would paste it to whatever you wanted, probably a Word doc or text file.
"Our aim in Education is to give a Full Life." -- Mom to 4 AO Graduates, Grandma to 3
"Practically, nearly, almost and in all ways visible to normal mortals Invincible" (due to the diplomatic immunity of Admin.) [cheesy grin]
(08-07-2012, 01:31 PM)LeslieNoelani Wrote: I think it gave me the option of opening as an html or txt file. I would guess you chose html. You would paste it to whatever you wanted, probably a Word doc or text file.

Do you use Firefox? I do and I don't recall seeing that option.

I guess I expected that it was going to actually download or export to my computer in a very obvious way since all along the process it reads things like:
  • "Download Messages"
  • "Delete Exported Messages? Do you want to delete the messages from your folders once they have been exported?"
  • Export File Format Please choose the file type of which to download attachments.
  • Export Private Messages

Is it just me or does that sound a bit misleading? Did I miss something? The only link I saw on the page that it gave me was a link at the very bottom. That link took me back to the main forum page.

It just occurred to me that I could test this by sending myself a PM to try to 'export' again. I did so and the image below is the resulting HTML page. It's identical to my first attempt at 'downloading' my PMs, minus my PMs, of course.

How is the average person going to know what to do with this kind of "download"? I know people who still can't copy and paste and they've been online for years.

(08-07-2012, 10:48 AM)LeslieNoelani Wrote: That page of messages was your download. Did you save a copy?

I'm revisiting this issue again, as I've again maxed out on my storage and need to save the PMs.

Would someone explain to me how to save the HTML pages?

I know that I can copy and paste it into a file, and I realize that I can print it directly from the page that I download, but I'm looking for a quick and easy 'download' export option when opting for the HTML version.

All I get as output when I download the HTML option is a nicely organized HTML page in my browser window. (Firefox user here) How do I download/save that?

If the other two options were easily readable, I would use those, but I find that the Excel option produces a mess that I cannot read (at least easily), and the text option isn't much better. I would like to use the HTML.

Ideas?

Thanks!

I thought I was posting on another forum! Oops!

I found the solution to the problem. It was quite simple. *doink*

Once the private messages have been downloaded and the HTML option chosen, an HTML page will be rendered. At that point you may right-click and choose 'save' or 'save as' from the menu that opens.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free download of Trial and Triumph vlreed 5 6,925 09-04-2020, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Phyllis