AmblesideOnline Forums
Forum typing question - Printable Version

+- AmblesideOnline Forums (https://amblesideonline.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Welcome Center (https://amblesideonline.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Tech Support (Parent and Student Access) (https://amblesideonline.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Forum typing question (/showthread.php?tid=24616)

Forum typing question - CrazyMama - 03-21-2016

How do I reply to someone's post so that the gray area with the persons quote appears. When I have been replying I delete most of what they write, but keep the few bits that I am referencing, but it doesn't do the nice gray area showing who I am quoting for me the way I see others having on their replies? Am I making sense?

RE: Forum typing question - NorthLaurel - 03-21-2016

(03-21-2016, 01:30 PM)CrazyMama Wrote: How do I reply to someone's post so that the gray area with the persons quote appears. When I have been replying I delete most of what they write, but keep the few bits that I am referencing, but it doesn't do the nice gray area showing who I am quoting for me the way I see others having on their replies? Am I making sense?
If you are on tapatalk you will select the little arrow at the bottom of the original post you want to quote. That is what I did here.
If you are on a computer, or desktop view, you'll need to select Quote under the original post. When you go to type your reply in the box on the forum (in Quick Reply) you will click on 'Quote these posts now' that is under the box you will be typing in.
Hopefully I explained this well!

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

RE: Forum typing question - NorthLaurel - 03-21-2016

(03-21-2016, 01:30 PM)CrazyMama Wrote: How do I reply to someone's post so that the gray area with the persons quote appears. When I have been replying I delete most of what they write, but keep the few bits that I am referencing, but it doesn't do the nice gray area showing who I am quoting for me the way I see others having on their replies? Am I making sense?

This post I did on the desktop. I selected the 'Quote these posts now' and it inserts your post in the Quick Reply box. It can be edited from here to only include the relevant bits. If you type a reply first and then click 'Quote these...' it will insert it at the *end* of your post.

RE: Forum typing question - Katie Rose - 03-22-2016

(03-21-2016, 01:30 PM)CrazyMama Wrote: When I have been replying I delete most of what they write, but keep the few bits that I am referencing, but it doesn't do the nice gray area

(03-21-2016, 10:25 PM)NorthLaurel Wrote: I selected the 'Quote these posts now' and it inserts your post in the Quick Reply box. It can be edited from here to only include the relevant bits. If you type a reply first and then click 'Quote these...' it will insert it at the *end* of your post.

Also, be sure you don't delete anything from the text at the beginning and end of the quote that are surrounded by brackets like these:  [   ] that is the information that signals the grey formatting and hyperlink back to the post to appear. If you delete those it will just appear (formatting wise) as though you typed it or copied and pasted it yourself.

RE: Forum typing question - CrazyMama - 03-22-2016

(03-21-2016, 10:25 PM)NorthLaurel Wrote: This post I did on the desktop. I selected the 'Quote these posts now' and it inserts your post in the Quick Reply box. It can be edited from here to only include the relevant bits. If you type a reply first and then click 'Quote these...' it will insert it at the *end* of your post.

(03-22-2016, 04:10 AM)Katie Rose Wrote: Also, be sure you don't delete anything from the text at the beginning and end of the quote that are surrounded by brackets like these:  [   ] that is the information that signals the grey formatting and hyperlink back to the post to appear. If you delete those it will just appear (formatting wise) as though you typed it or copied and pasted it yourself.

I think I get it, this is my test.

RE: Forum typing question - CrazyMama - 03-22-2016

Thanks for the help!

RE: Forum typing question - hadmason - 04-09-2016

(03-22-2016, 04:18 AM)CrazyMama Wrote: Thanks for the help!

I needed this also and used your post to check it out!!
Thanks- much appreciated!