Forum typing question
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/Forum typing question
How do I reply to someone's post so that the gray area with the persons quote appears. When I have been replying I delete most of what they write, but keep the few bits that I am referencing, but it doesn't do the nice gray area showing who I am quoting for me the way I see others having on their replies? Am I making sense?
Wife to my highschool archenemy and mother of 4, AO Year 9, Year 7, Year 4, Year 0.  "Mothers work wonders once they are convinced that wonders are demanded of them." Charlotte Mason
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/RE: Forum typing question
(03-21-2016, 01:30 PM)CrazyMama Wrote: How do I reply to someone's post so that the gray area with the persons quote appears. When I have been replying I delete most of what they write, but keep the few bits that I am referencing, but it doesn't do the nice gray area showing who I am quoting for me the way I see others having on their replies? Am I making sense?
If you are on tapatalk you will select the little arrow at the bottom of the original post you want to quote. That is what I did here.
If you are on a computer, or desktop view, you'll need to select Quote under the original post. When you go to type your reply in the box on the forum (in Quick Reply) you will click on 'Quote these posts now' that is under the box you will be typing in.
Hopefully I explained this well!

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk
Blossom- AO Grads, '15 & '17. Children are born persons
Online classesBooks: Lulu and BlurbSet Your Feet, book 'reviews'

The following 1 user Likes NorthLaurel's post:
  • CrazyMama
(03-21-2016, 01:30 PM)CrazyMama Wrote: How do I reply to someone's post so that the gray area with the persons quote appears. When I have been replying I delete most of what they write, but keep the few bits that I am referencing, but it doesn't do the nice gray area showing who I am quoting for me the way I see others having on their replies? Am I making sense?

This post I did on the desktop. I selected the 'Quote these posts now' and it inserts your post in the Quick Reply box. It can be edited from here to only include the relevant bits. If you type a reply first and then click 'Quote these...' it will insert it at the *end* of your post.
Blossom- AO Grads, '15 & '17. Children are born persons
Online classesBooks: Lulu and BlurbSet Your Feet, book 'reviews'

The following 1 user Likes NorthLaurel's post:
  • CrazyMama
(03-21-2016, 01:30 PM)CrazyMama Wrote: When I have been replying I delete most of what they write, but keep the few bits that I am referencing, but it doesn't do the nice gray area

(03-21-2016, 10:25 PM)NorthLaurel Wrote: I selected the 'Quote these posts now' and it inserts your post in the Quick Reply box. It can be edited from here to only include the relevant bits. If you type a reply first and then click 'Quote these...' it will insert it at the *end* of your post.

Also, be sure you don't delete anything from the text at the beginning and end of the quote that are surrounded by brackets like these:  [   ] that is the information that signals the grey formatting and hyperlink back to the post to appear. If you delete those it will just appear (formatting wise) as though you typed it or copied and pasted it yourself.
married to "...Hey, Babe?" [Heart <3] using AO for Groups in New Jersey with:
my Giant ('08), my shining Storm ('10), my morning Tempest ('12), and my glittering Gale ('14)
The following 1 user Likes Katie Rose's post:
  • CrazyMama
(03-21-2016, 10:25 PM)NorthLaurel Wrote: This post I did on the desktop. I selected the 'Quote these posts now' and it inserts your post in the Quick Reply box. It can be edited from here to only include the relevant bits. If you type a reply first and then click 'Quote these...' it will insert it at the *end* of your post.

(03-22-2016, 04:10 AM)Katie Rose Wrote: Also, be sure you don't delete anything from the text at the beginning and end of the quote that are surrounded by brackets like these:  [   ] that is the information that signals the grey formatting and hyperlink back to the post to appear. If you delete those it will just appear (formatting wise) as though you typed it or copied and pasted it yourself.

I think I get it, this is my test.
Wife to my highschool archenemy and mother of 4, AO Year 9, Year 7, Year 4, Year 0.  "Mothers work wonders once they are convinced that wonders are demanded of them." Charlotte Mason
Thanks for the help!
The following 2 users Like CrazyMama's post:
  • Katie Rose, NorthLaurel
(03-22-2016, 04:18 AM)CrazyMama Wrote: Thanks for the help!

I needed this also and used your post to check it out!!
Thanks- much appreciated!
Journeying through AO with DD (Y3-age 9) and DS (Y2-age 8)
~ Heidi in CT ~

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resources for Using the Forum lklivingston 0 3,028 08-01-2023, 03:23 AM
Last Post: lklivingston
  How to see all posts on entire forum by date HannahA 11 14,705 07-17-2023, 02:14 PM
Last Post: HannahA
  emails for forum subscriptions val_aggie 9 11,154 04-20-2023, 01:08 AM
Last Post: Lani
Lightbulb Joining the Teen Forum Eowyn Bolivette 1 3,342 04-16-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: AKindlyFlabbit
  Forum access for teen etihwnyrhtak 3 5,043 01-16-2023, 11:08 AM
  Can't Access Teen Section of the Forum Maysaa 6 8,055 01-02-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Maysaa
  Looking for the learning disability/dyslexia forum! elizabeth.rs 3 4,880 11-20-2022, 10:25 AM
Last Post: elizabeth.rs
  Forum app (Tapatalk) charmond 5 7,145 10-08-2022, 09:44 AM
  My teen joined the teen forum... what's next? alec 4 6,110 01-27-2022, 03:09 PM
Last Post: alec
  Problems after forum update Sept 2020 Phyllis 41 48,527 08-31-2021, 01:16 PM