NEW! Madame How and Lady Why
Announcements/RE: NEW! Madame How and Lady Why
Another huge THANK YOU to Anne for sharing this amazing resource with all of us! We were doing okay with just the book, but the study guide has really help make it so much more approachable and interesting for me and my son! What a gift!
~Kiel~ Mama to DS "J" (13, Yr 7) and DD "A" (8, Yr 3) and Wife to Papa Lemon. Blogging at Tuning Hearts and finding new adventures in Southern WV.
The following 2 users Like MamaLemon's post:
  • AnneWhite, ozark mama
We have really enjoyed having the study guide. Thank you!
The following 1 user Likes JodiBeth's post:
  • AnneWhite
(03-13-2020, 03:06 AM)LeslieNoelani Wrote: AO's weekly schedules have been adjusted to line up with Anne's Study Guide.

If you're in the middle of the school year and want to continue with the schedule you were already using, the old schedule is on its own page here:

https://www.amblesideonline.org/MHLWOldW...dule.shtml

That link does not appear to be the old schedule, it still is the current one. Is there a link available still to the old study guide?
(04-28-2020, 08:21 AM)CourtneyF Wrote: That link does not appear to be the old schedule, it still is the current one. Is there a link available still to the old study guide?

Are you looking for the old weekly breakdown of each week's reading, or the old study guide?

Try here:
https://www.amblesideonline.org/MHLW1.shtml
https://www.amblesideonline.org/MHLW.shtml
"Our aim in Education is to give a Full Life." -- Mom to 4 AO Graduates, Grandma to 3
"Practically, nearly, almost and in all ways visible to normal mortals Invincible" (due to the diplomatic immunity of Admin.) [cheesy grin]
The following 1 user Likes LeslieNoelani's post:
  • CourtneyF
Announcements/NEW! Madame How and Lady Why
That is what I was looking for, thanks!

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
Anne, you recommended a fun book about volcanoes in the guide. The Finches' Fabulous Furnace. It is now a family favorite! We are enjoying it so much. There is a part though I wondered if it is accurate. They channel the heat from the volcano through a flue system to the chimney so the house doesn't overheat. But it causes a strong upward draft outside around the house. Not sure if this is just creative licensing, or some sort of air flow science. Anyone know? I am probably asking this in the wrong place, my apologies.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
(10-12-2020, 02:35 PM)goochwife Wrote: Anne, you recommended a fun book about volcanoes in the guide. The Finches' Fabulous Furnace. It is now a family favorite! We are enjoying it so much. There is a part though I wondered if it is accurate. They channel the heat from the volcano through a flue system to the chimney so the house doesn't overheat. But it causes a strong upward draft outside around the house. Not sure if this is just creative licensing, or some sort of air flow science. Anyone know? I am probably asking this in the wrong place, my apologies.

Sorry, that's beyond my knowledge. Maybe a research challenge for your students!

But you might enjoy this blog post about Erik Blegvad's illustrations:

https://vinpauld.blogspot.com/2010/08/erik-blegvad.html .
Anne White, Southern Ontario
My book page at Amazon
The following 1 user Likes AnneWhite's post:
  • Zoo Keeper
Thanks!

(03-13-2020, 03:06 AM)LeslieNoelani Wrote: AO's weekly schedules have been adjusted to line up with Anne's Study Guide.

If you're in the middle of the school year and want to continue with the schedule you were already using, the old schedule is on its own page here:

https://www.amblesideonline.org/MHLWOldW...dule.shtml

I just downloaded the ODT and DOC schedule from the Year 4 page and it looks to me like the MHLW scheduling is still the very detailed phrase to phrase schedule from the original book, not Anne's guides.  I was just wondering if that's how they're supposed to be or if I'm missing something.  Maybe this should be posted in technical edits?  Sorry if I'm in the wrong place.

Also, I've done MHLW with two kids now, struggling with the free kindle version and creating lots of bookmarks for weekly reading assignments, and am starting my 3rd with Anne's guide IN PRINT.  We have always schooled with a really tight budget and I just want to say if you have to pick and choose what to buy in print for Year 4, buy A Walk in the Glen!  It has made a huge difference in making this book approachable.  Thank you, Anne!

And, after 10 years of teaching an ambleside education I am finally much better at reading Kingsley, Shakespeare, and Plutarch aloud with proper intonation so that it makes sense to the listener.  I stumbled so much with my poor first student!  Thank you, Ambleside.
Jessie (Y12, Y9, Y6, Y3, Y0 - can't quite bring myself to use pink)
The following 3 users Like Jeff's Jessie's post:
  • amerebreath, Subversive Gardener, Zoo Keeper
(02-20-2022, 02:35 AM)Jeff's Jessie Wrote: I just downloaded the ODT and DOC schedule from the Year 4 page and it looks to me like the MHLW scheduling is still the very detailed phrase to phrase schedule from the original book, not Anne's guides.  I was just wondering if that's how they're supposed to be or if I'm missing something.  Maybe this should be posted in technical edits?  Sorry if I'm in the wrong place.

Also, I've done MHLW with two kids now, struggling with the free kindle version and creating lots of bookmarks for weekly reading assignments, and am starting my 3rd with Anne's guide IN PRINT.  We have always schooled with a really tight budget and I just want to say if you have to pick and choose what to buy in print for Year 4, buy A Walk in the Glen!  It has made a huge difference in making this book approachable.  Thank you, Anne!

And, after 10 years of teaching an ambleside education I am finally much better at reading Kingsley, Shakespeare, and Plutarch aloud with proper intonation so that it makes sense to the listener.  I stumbled so much with my poor first student!  Thank you, Ambleside.

Thanks!

I'll make sure the AA know about the scheduling issue.
Anne White, Southern Ontario
My book page at Amazon