New AO Geography Topics!
Announcements/New AO Geography Topics!
In "Home Education," Charlotte Mason said, ". . . the mother . . . will find a hundred opportunities to teach geography by the way: a duck-pond is a lake or an inland sea; any brooklet will serve to illustrate the great rivers of the world; a hillock grows into a mountain––an Alpine system; a hazel-copse suggests the mighty forests of the Amazon; a reedy swamp, the rice-fields of China; a meadow, the boundless prairies of the West; the pretty purple flowers of the common mallow is a text whereon to hang the cotton fields of the Southern States: indeed, the whole field of pictorial geography––maps may wait until by-and-by––may be covered in this way."

Our latest addition to AO is that we have listed specific geography concepts to be taught "by the way" and scheduled them into different terms throughout Years 1-6. These have been added to our booklists, 36-week schedules and exams. The entire schedule is also outlined on this page:

http://www.amblesideonline.org/geographysch.shtml
"Our aim in Education is to give a Full Life." -- Mom to 4 AO Graduates, Grandma to 3
"Practically, nearly, almost and in all ways visible to normal mortals Invincible" (due to the diplomatic immunity of Admin.) [cheesy grin]
Announcements/RE: New AO Geography Topics!
I just stumbled upon this today ... love it. Thank you!
{marmalade sorrow}
"Each one of them is Jesus in disguise." -- Saint Mother Teresa
years 1, 3, and 5

Are all the chapters in CM and Long's geography books covered in those 6 years?
Pearl (y2), Optimus (11/12), and Mochi (03/15) ~~~ Moderating Q&A, Math, and Health Challenges
“Play is often talked about as if it were a relief from serious learning. But for children play is serious learning. Play is really the work of childhood.” -Fred Rogers
(06-26-2013, 01:34 AM)harmonyml Wrote: Are all the chapters in CM and Long's geography books covered in those 6 years?

Topically, yes. But both books have very short chapters, and some of those chapters consist of a single poem about Spring, or The Rain -- when I lined up chapters from those books topically, I did not include the poems because I was primarily focused on teaching the concept.
"Our aim in Education is to give a Full Life." -- Mom to 4 AO Graduates, Grandma to 3
"Practically, nearly, almost and in all ways visible to normal mortals Invincible" (due to the diplomatic immunity of Admin.) [cheesy grin]
The following 2 users Like LeslieNoelani's post:
  • harmonyml, laurke
Seriously??

How is it that you ladies take something as great as AO and continually make it better?

I stand in awe.
[Oopsies! I'm so embarrassed!]

I went through CM's Elementary Geography a couple of years ago with my youngest two, but I felt as if we went too...fast? - Or that it was too contrived doing it week after week? I don't know, but in thinking about your schedule, spreading it out so leisurely over the course of years, would have proven more fruitful for my children. I am going to try again, following the schedule you have come up with.

Thank you Leslie and all! We are SO grateful!
~~ Annie ~~
"If sinners will be damned, at least let them leap to hell over our bodies;
and if they will perish, let them perish with our arms about their knees....let not one go there unwarned and unprayed for."
love this! Thank you!
BECKY ~ ds10-Y4; dd8-Y3, ds7-Y2, dd6-Y1, ds2 (The Babe)
"I have dreamt in my life, dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas; they have gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the color of my mind."

The following 1 user Likes SowingLittleSeeds's post:
  • LeslieNoelani
Wow, that sounds great!

I hope we can jump in with the schedule with kids that haven't done it for the years we've already completed? Looking at the general scheme, I think my kids know the basic concepts that are covered for the years they've done....

(And yes, I know the answer to my question depends on the child... lol)
AO - Canadian Style - Maplehill Academy
Delta 15-other; Echo 12-other; Foxtrot 10-yr4; Golf 8-yr1
"My Dear, much of the work in this world is done by people who don't feel so very well." - Karen Andreola
(06-26-2013, 03:08 AM)suzukimom Wrote: I hope we can jump in with the schedule with kids that haven't done it for the years we've already completed? Looking at the general scheme, I think my kids know the basic concepts that are covered for the years they've done....

I can't speak for Long's book, but the "chapters" in Miss Mason's book are short - just a single page in many cases - so a quick review of those topics covered in previous years would not take at all long, if you felt that would be helpful.
~~ Annie ~~
"If sinners will be damned, at least let them leap to hell over our bodies;
and if they will perish, let them perish with our arms about their knees....let not one go there unwarned and unprayed for."
The following 1 user Likes Annie HL's post:
  • CottageSchool
I was just working on scheduling CM's books for this fall - guess I'll stop now :) Thank you, Leslie!
Laura & sons, yr 10 and yr 0  [cheesy grin]
Blog, Pinterest, FB , IG, Goodreads
Announcements/Re: New AO Geography Topics!
Where can we read CM geography book? anyone have a link?
BECKY ~ ds10-Y4; dd8-Y3, ds7-Y2, dd6-Y1, ds2 (The Babe)
"I have dreamt in my life, dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas; they have gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the color of my mind."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Geography Addition: Years 4-6 LeslieNoelani 22 271,134 03-11-2018, 07:33 AM
Last Post: BecTasmanian