Geography Addition: Years 4-6
Announcements/Geography Addition: Years 4-6
We added two resources to Years 4, 5 and 6 for geography:

Material World: A Global Family Portrait by Peter Menzel (amazon link)

What the World Eats by Faith D'Aluisio and Peter Menzel (amazon link) or Hungry Planet: What the World Eats by Peter Menzel and Faith D'Aluisio (amazon link)

These are listed as resources to supplement geography, and they have not been added to the weekly schedules.

How to use these books:
Leave them laying out, preferably near a globe or world map, and browse through them together from time to time.
Leave them laying out, browse through them and maybe once a month pick a country that especially interests your child. Look it up (briefly) on Wikipedia or in a good Atlas. Read a little bit more about it. Find it on a map or globe.
If your child is interested, he can pursue additional research in his free time and learn more about countries that particularly interest him, but this should be his own delight directed study or hobby.
How not to use these books: as the basis of a unit study or a burdensome checklist of additional tasks to fulfill.
"Our aim in Education is to give a Full Life." -- Mom to 4 AO Graduates, Grandma to 3
"Practically, nearly, almost and in all ways visible to normal mortals Invincible" (due to the diplomatic immunity of Admin.) [cheesy grin]
Announcements/RE: Geography Addition: Years 4-6
[cheesy grin]  We have used and loved both books here--so glad to see them added to AO.
Zoo Keeper

How cool!
Lynette, Mom of 6 (ddY8 & sons Y6, Y4, Y2, 5…. &baby girl) Ps 39:5
O LORD, what is man that you regard him, or the son of man that you think of him? Man is like a breath, his days are like a passing shadow. Psalm 144:4
Announcements/Geography Addition: Years 4-6
We love these books!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
**Mama to 5 boys, books-and-tea always, typically pining for a nap.**
Using AO Yr 7, Yr 5, Yr 3, modified for Canuckness.
The following 2 users Like boywrangler's post:
  • Christy Hissong, Mhabig
That is just the sort of thing I was looking for to supplement AO geography. Thank you advisors!
DS1 born 2012, DS2 born 2014, DD1 born 2017, DD2 born 2019, DS3 born 2021 and DD3 born sleeping 2023
Thank you! These look like great additions!
Elizabeth a Texas transplant in the land of the midnight sun

I got these from the library a few years ago and loved them...now I can convince myself to purchase them. [:P cheesy, cheesy!]
The following 3 users Like verkom's post:
  • Heather, Subversive Gardener, thhickman
We've had two of these books for years but I just picked up What the World Eats at a library sale. Looks great!
What is the difference between the two 'what the world eats' books?
Home educating in England with 13yr old boy (Y8), 11 yr old boy (Y6), 6yr old girl (Y1) and 3 year old rascal. 
Been using AO since day 1 with number 1!

Instagram:. English Home Educator
I looked through What the World Eats and I like it a bit better than Hungry Planet. They both picture families from around the world along with a week's worth of food, etc. IDK, I just like What the World Eats better. One may be a bit newer, as well.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  We’ve Made Some Changes To Parts of Years 7-12! Donna-Jean 98 145,868 07-26-2023, 11:33 AM
Last Post: andrealisabeth
  Updated Madam How in text-only version (Years 4 and 5) AnneWhite 0 12,399 07-24-2020, 09:40 PM
Last Post: AnneWhite
  Schedule Changes Years 4, 5, 6 LeslieNoelani 72 861,680 09-12-2018, 02:36 AM
Last Post: Bliss
  New! and Improved! Combo years 7/8 and 8/9 LeslieNoelani 19 189,154 08-17-2018, 05:07 AM
Last Post: wanderingstar
  New AO Geography Topics! LeslieNoelani 43 701,796 08-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Hunter
  Science Change: Years 2 and 3/Pagoo LeslieNoelani 1 62,201 11-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Phyllis