What is the purpose of the time delay with searches?
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/What is the purpose of the time delay with searches?
Sometimes when I'm frustrated by something, understanding the purpose helps me to accept it and move on. With a job I once had, I had to remind myself when I encountered what seemed to me to be a pointless rule someone had most likely paid for it with his life.

So...why is there a mandatory 30 second delay between searches? I encounter this frequently because I may use a word which comes up empty and I want to tweak it to try again. But then I have to wait 8 seconds or 2 seconds or 15 seconds until I search again.

Something else I encountered had a delay, but it only happened once. Right now I cannot seem to remember what it was.

I'm sorry if this comes across as, "Wah, wah, wah." I'm sure it does. I just want to understand, and after my many-eth time of asking myself, "I wonder why it does that?" I thought I would ask.

(I might have meant, "Wha, wha, wha." I'm not sure which is correct.)

Gratefully,
Dawn, Georgia
"Knowledge is love and light and vision."  Helen Keller
Blogging at the CMER Blog.
The following 1 user Likes Dawn Rhymer's post:
  • Purposeful Abnegation
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/RE: What is the purpose of the time delay with searches?
There is a delay on posting too - which makes sense to avoid spammers....
AO - Canadian Style - Maplehill Academy
Delta 15-other; Echo 12-other; Foxtrot 10-yr4; Golf 8-yr1
"My Dear, much of the work in this world is done by people who don't feel so very well." - Karen Andreola
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/RE: What is the purpose of the time delay with searches?
I would think it helps with server loads as well. Most forums I've been on have the delays, actually AO is more forgiving in that aspect than other forums are. It is frustrating when a search comes up empty though.
Amy, who wishes to be a hobbit :)
Two homeschool graduates (DS20, DS19)
Currently homeschooling (DS16, DD13)
The following 1 user Likes Amy Jo Hines's post:
  • MelisaH
(10-25-2014, 11:55 AM)Amy Jo Wrote: ...actually AO is more forgiving in that aspect than other forums are...

Ahhh...perspective. I don't belong to too many other forums. Thank you, AO.

In a book I was reading this past week, I came across the following quote:

Quote:The cause of our stress depends largely upon our perception of events in our lives.
Dawn, Georgia
"Knowledge is love and light and vision."  Helen Keller
Blogging at the CMER Blog.
The following 4 users Like Dawn Rhymer's post:
  • Dawn Duran, Lisa-v, lklivingston, MelisaH

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to find out what happened to my time-sensitive post... sarahtorres 6 8,389 06-14-2021, 02:36 AM
Last Post: sarahtorres
Wink Time to say goodbye to the Christmas banner? LucyBeeH 25 31,339 04-22-2021, 09:23 PM
Last Post: lilymay
  How do I change my time zone? Corrie10 1 2,693 06-10-2020, 04:36 AM
Last Post: Corrie10
  how do I change the time to EST? Iskra 2 4,063 04-25-2018, 05:46 AM
Last Post: Iskra
  It's time to change my name Primeperiwinkle 43 51,736 12-10-2015, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Mrs. A
  Reading posts in a given time frame HC... 2 4,058 11-09-2015, 04:16 AM
Last Post: HC...
  how to change current time GracefullyKnitted 3 4,612 10-27-2014, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Dawn Rhymer
  Change "local time" sand.flower 1 2,493 08-24-2014, 05:12 AM