Forums with Moderation
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/Forums with Moderation
I need some education on the forums with moderation. I posted in the Hot Topics forum on a thread after the 2nd post was up but before posts 3, 4, and 5 went up. How do I know if my post was not accepted because it was inappropriate or if something else happened? I assume there are some members, most likely moderators, who don't need moderation, and I understand and accept that. So perhaps their posts go up while mine sits in a cue.

I did notice that my final current events post went up at some point, but I'm not sure when. It just got done behind the scenes, and it never was triggered as a new, unread post. I have to admit, I gave up on the current events forum.

None of this is complaining, so I really hope it doesn't come across that way. I just want to grow in understanding so I have the proper expectations.
Dawn, Georgia
"Knowledge is love and light and vision."  Helen Keller
Blogging at the CMER Blog.
The following 1 user Likes Dawn Rhymer's post:
  • DaughterofEve
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/RE: Forums with Moderation
As I was creating this thread, my post did get approved, but it was dropped into the middle of the conversation, at post #4, bumping the others down. I also think it didn't trigger a new post...but then, I also think, it wouldn't show up as a trigger on my computer, as I wrote the post. I'm not sure what happens on other's computers when a post is tucked into the middle of a conversation.

I'm not sure this is a good way to do this, as inserting posts into the middle of a conversation could have the potential of making it hard to follow.

I'm sure "trigger" is not the correct word, but I don't know the technical term for the little green arrows indicating a new post has been added to a thread.
Dawn, Georgia
  • DaughterofEve
I'm following, interested in the answers as well. Thank you for this thread!
Dana in IN, ds6 (Y1), dd3 (Y0)
First topic: Delays right now = Holiday Weedend. We are short many mods due to traveling and the rest of us are checking in when we can even though we are very busy with family things (I am eating a bowl of soup at my computer surrounded by containers full of Christmas decorations at the moment!). Patience is in order for us at these times. [cheesy grin]

Second Topic: Your post is where it was in the order it was received. It may have said one thing when you posted, but that was because there were other pending posts in front of yours. The number you thought it had was only in relation to currently approved posts. As those posts were approved, then your post being approved, everything went to where it was based on the time/date that people wrote their posts. The posts above yours have earlier times than yours. Not by much, but there they are - 3 posts that occurred within a 25 min time period.

Hope that helps.
The following 1 user Likes MelisaH's post:
  • SherryElmer
(12-01-2014, 08:19 AM)MelisaH Wrote: First topic: Delays right now = Holiday Weedend. We are short many mods due to traveling and the rest of us are checking in when we can even though we are very busy with family things (I am eating a bowl of soup at my computer surrounded by containers full of Christmas decorations at the moment!). Patience is in order for us at these times. [cheesy grin]

Second Topic: Your post is where it was in the order it was received. It may have said one thing when you posted, but that was because there were other pending posts in front of yours. The number you thought it had was only in relation to currently approved posts. As those posts were approved, then your post being approved, everything went to where it was based on the time/date that people wrote their posts. The posts above yours have earlier times than yours. Not by much, but there they are - 3 posts that occurred within a 25 min time period.

Hope that helps.

That makes sense. It also is a good thing to know so if we are reading a thread where posts need to be approved, we can understand why responses might not seem to correspond to the proceeding post. :) Thanks for the explanation, Melisa--I hope you got to your soup before it was cold!
The following 1 user Likes SherryElmer's post:
  • DaughterofEve
(12-01-2014, 08:54 AM)SherryElmer Wrote: That makes sense. It also is a good thing to know so if we are reading a thread where posts need to be approved, we can understand why responses might not seem to correspond to the proceeding post. :) Thanks for the explanation, Melisa--I hope you got to your soup before it was cold!

I did. It was steaming hot! I have some of the decorations up (and behind the piano got a good vacuuming, even!).
(12-01-2014, 08:57 AM)MelisaH Wrote: I did. It was steaming hot! I have some of the decorations up (and behind the piano got a good vacuuming, even!).

Who vacuums behind the piano? I think that needs to be a hot topic in and of itself!
Jeanne in Australia
A Peaceful Day
Melisa,

Thank you. It was probably just a "perfect storm" to make the events occur in the order they did to cause me to ask the question.

I do apologize if I came across as impatient. That was not my intention.

I'm grateful for the explanation.

Thank you for moderating. I know that is a lot of extra time. I'm also sorry you have to moderate, as something must have happened in the history of the forum for the need to arise.
Dawn, Georgia
(12-01-2014, 08:58 AM)Jeanne Webb Wrote: Who vacuums behind the piano? I think that needs to be a hot topic in and of itself!

Really!? Some people are in such need of praise and adoration. [cheesy grin]
Dana in IN, ds6 (Y1), dd3 (Y0)
The following 4 users Like dmccalled4's post:
  • DaughterofEve, Kathy W., MelisaH, Peacefully Buzzing
(12-01-2014, 08:58 AM)Jeanne Webb Wrote: Who vacuums behind the piano? I think that needs to be a hot topic in and of itself!

We did it quite frequently when the piano was not against a wall but rather formed a wall between the dining room and family room.
Dawn, Georgia
  • MelisaH

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Access to private forums Elijah and Dad 2 3,611 10-03-2023, 03:30 PM
Last Post: Phyllis
  I can't access the teen forums anymore unavalible_username 20 24,810 01-14-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Barb Gifford
  Can't search private forums Amy Jo Hines 1 3,062 10-09-2017, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Phyllis
  private forums nectarhill 3 6,413 11-15-2014, 06:28 AM
Last Post: MelisaH
  Learning how to use the Forums Jane Fettig 3 4,484 09-17-2012, 04:55 PM
Last Post: NaomiG
  Can I email forums or threads? islavet 10 12,747 08-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Last Post: lklivingston