A new kind of Plutarch book
Announcements/RE: A new kind of Plutarch book
Anne- I received this book last week, and have read through it quickly. My plan was to do it for T1 with my daughter this school year. She'll be Y7, but this will be the first year I've dug into Plutarch with her.  I thought we would spend the first few weeks on the first part of the book, and then get into the actual study following that. I just finished prereading  it before we start the year so I knew a bit of what to expect.

Perhaps I missed this because I read quickly. But can you please explain Appendices A and B? Are they kind of showing your thought processes that you used as you begin preparing the lessons? Thanks!
Yes, they are the first stages of the completed study, so you can see how it came together. Maybe it will be helpful to those who want to study more Lives on their own. You could use Appendix A as an exercise for yourself--read it, circle words and names, make notes, ask questions. Then go on to the next stage and see what I did with it.
Anne White, Southern Ontario
My book page at Amazon
The following 1 user Likes AnneWhite's post:
  • LovieWie
(07-20-2021, 06:26 AM)AnneWhite Wrote: Yes, they are the first stages of the completed study, so you can see how it came together. Maybe it will be helpful to those who want to study more Lives on their own. You could use Appendix A as an exercise for yourself--read it, circle words and names, make notes, ask questions. Then go on to the next stage and see what I did with it.

Great, thank you!

It's also amazing to be able to ask the AUTHOR direct questions about her book... :)
The following 1 user Likes etihwnyrhtak's post:
  • LovieWie
Announcements/A new kind of Plutarch book
(07-13-2021, 08:59 PM)AnneWhite Wrote: No, this will not be included in the Plutarch rotation, but you could use the Eumenes study as a first dip into Plutarch. Or you could do the Publicola study, which is available free on the site.

If you have a young Year 4 who does not yet seem ready for Plutarch in the original, you can put it off for a year and read Mrs. Beesly instead. That's what the PNEU originally did.

I forgot to clarify my question about this new book being included in the Plutarch rotation. What I meant to ask was, if it would be added to the Plutarch page and/or footnotes as an option for those new to Plutarch?
Mama of 6 (YR 6, YR 4, YR 2, Preschooler, Toddler, and Baby) <3 
(07-20-2021, 07:24 AM)etihwnyrhtak Wrote: Great, thank you!

It's also amazing to be able to ask the AUTHOR direct questions about her book... :)

I agree!
Mama of 6 (YR 6, YR 4, YR 2, Preschooler, Toddler, and Baby) <3 
(07-20-2021, 12:58 PM)MonicaC Wrote: I forgot to clarify my question about this new book being included in the Plutarch rotation. What I meant to ask was, if it would be added to the Plutarch page and/or footnotes as an option for those new to Plutarch?

Yes, if we can figure out how best to fit it in. Thanks for the reminder!
My book page at Amazon
Would you recommend starting with Practical Plutarch or Publicola?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Christina, mother of 5 beautiful children (Year 4, Year 2, Year 0, 3 year old, and 1 year old).
Well, nobody has had the chance yet to use the Eumenes study, so we'll have to wait on that one! The book itself is meant to help explain what we are doing, give a clearer sense of what it's about (for the teacher), so that might give you enough reason to read through it (it's short!) and then decide if Eumenes would work for you this term. The advantage of Eumenes is that it's only half-length, six lessons.

Many people have already used the Publicola study, which is free online or can be purchased as the Plutarch Primer. It is full length, but it was written with both the teacher and student in mind who have not done any Plutarch before, so there are more notes like "This would be a good place to stop and narrate."

So I think either could be used as an introduction.
My book page at Amazon
(07-20-2021, 10:41 PM)6christinamay Wrote: Would you recommend starting with Practical Plutarch or Publicola?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried to do Publicola last year. I worked through the first part of it myself as was described, and I felt that it was doable. But in the reality of our home, it felt overwhelming for me to sit down and try with my student. I am one of those people who, if my brain is working hard, I need quiet and no interruptions. I ended up not doing it with my student last year because it felt like too much to me given the reality of our home situation.

I have gotten and read through Practical Plutarch, but have not used it yet. However, I know that I will be able to. This is something that I can sit down and do together with my students. It is written out for us. It will still require that work, but it takes it down a level so that I feel like we have a more experienced Plutarch person sitting next to us and guiding us instead of us trying to figure it out on our own (or me trying to figure it out and teaching her how to figure it out simultaneously).
I just thought of this as an example... I teach ESL students online and in person. When I teach, I always use the framework of, "I do, we do, you do." So first I demonstrate a new skill to them (I do), then I do that new skill with them (we do), then I have them try to practice the new skill on their own (you do). I feel like Publicola was the "I do" with Anne demonstrating. But I needed a "we do" before getting to the "you do" where I implemented it on my own. To me, "Practical Plutarch" feels like that "we do" step.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Our book is here! Donna-Jean 13 11,304 10-18-2023, 05:11 AM
Last Post: heddsomewhere
  Our new book! Donna-Jean 13 12,046 10-13-2023, 12:32 PM
Last Post: Zoo Keeper
  Three updated Plutarch studies on the website AnneWhite 12 50,080 02-01-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Lesleydawn328
  Living Book Press discount code lklivingston 0 6,306 03-25-2022, 09:28 PM
Last Post: lklivingston
  Plutarch Revisions are Coming AnneWhite 18 66,248 07-18-2021, 12:10 PM
Last Post: saraclaude
  A New Book Buying Option for AO Users! LeslieNoelani 7 30,598 03-28-2021, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Subversive Gardener
  Extra Plutarch year will be added AnneWhite 7 35,649 09-04-2020, 08:08 AM
Last Post: AnneWhite
  AO Book Bag? AO Coffee Mug? LeslieNoelani 67 910,420 09-13-2015, 12:22 PM
Last Post: BarbaraM