Can no longer edit my old posts
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/Can no longer edit my old posts
I use the post editing feature quite a bit in book discussions. Right now, I need to update my intro post to the Joan of Arc discussion with the links to the newest posts. However, the "Edit" button has disappeared. I first noticed this a few weeks ago. I still have an "Edit" button on the new Joan of Arc post I made today, but it's gone from the post I made just two weeks ago, which also needs updating. Anyone know why this is happening and if there's a way to fix it?
Rebecca in Chicago (Hyde Park) Zionsville, Indiana!
Daughter, age 9.5, Grade 4 afterschooling // Son, age 5.5, Year 0 // Son, age 3.5, Year 0 // Daughter, age 1.5, Year 0
I know this is a recent change with forum software updates. If Kathy Livingston doesn't see this and respond, I'll ping her about it in the Moderator thread. Kathy had the powers to adjust this, I believe.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Mary Frances
mom to David (Age 17, YR11), Grant (Age 14, YR8) and Lucy (Age 13, YR8) and Ella (Age 6, YR 1)
Let me see if I can change this just for posts in that area.
Kathy 
For we are God’s handiwork, recreated in Christ Jesus, that we may do those good works which God predestined for us, that we should walk in them.
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/RE: Can no longer edit my old posts
Is there a reason for the lack of edit feature and it’s current rules for use?
Sandy
Hopeful mama to 3 dd -- 20 (graduate!), 17 (12th gr) & 15 (9th gr) -- currently dipping our toe into full-time classical private school.
The following 2 users Like Sandy O's post:
  • Purposeful Abnegation, reb
You can edit your posts for a week. After that, editing is disabled. That's because the conversation will have progressed with the original words, and editing can make other replies seem off. After a week, what has been posted stays.
Kathy 
For we are God’s handiwork, recreated in Christ Jesus, that we may do those good works which God predestined for us, that we should walk in them.
The following 3 users Like lklivingston's post:
  • happi, JoyH, Primeperiwinkle
(08-07-2021, 12:45 AM)Rebecca G Wrote: I use the post editing feature quite a bit in book discussions. Right now, I need to update my intro post to the Joan of Arc discussion with the links to the newest posts. However, the "Edit" button has disappeared. I first noticed this a few weeks ago. I still have an "Edit" button on the new Joan of Arc post I made today, but it's gone from the post I made just two weeks ago, which also needs updating. Anyone know why this is happening and if there's a way to fix it?
Can you not just add replies with the new links?
Kathy 
Rebecca, maybe replies might be more helpful than edits anyway?. That way people will see that something new has been added. I’ve been missing some of the posts for new discussion threads on our book. If you add a post to a thread I’m already subscribed to I’ll definitely see it.
Sandy
Hopeful mama to 3 dd -- 20 (graduate!), 17 (12th gr) & 15 (9th gr) -- currently dipping our toe into full-time classical private school.
(08-07-2021, 07:16 AM)lklivingston Wrote: Can you not just add replies with the new links?

This really wouldn't work well for the master thread, where I make a "table of contents" for the whole discussion with links to each thread. If I were somebody trying to use the Joan of Arc discussion for pre-reading help and saw this in its current state I would never think to scroll through all the other comments to find the missing links. I'd just assume somebody quit doing the work halfway through.

I also put links at the head of each thread to help with navigating through all the threads in order. This thread should have a third link at the top for navigating forwards in the series. I can't add that link now. The "forwards" links can only be added after the next post has been made, and I'm posting two weeks apart.

When I am backfilling narrations I do it through editing, which I need to do in this post and now can't. That post also needs the link forwards added at the top.

Sandy, what I've been doing is adding a comment reply after all the narrations are filled in an old post to bump it up for visibility.
Rebecca in Chicago (Hyde Park) Zionsville, Indiana!
Daughter, age 9.5, Grade 4 afterschooling // Son, age 5.5, Year 0 // Son, age 3.5, Year 0 // Daughter, age 1.5, Year 0
The following 2 users Like Rebecca G's post:
  • Primeperiwinkle, Purposeful Abnegation
Your tables of contents *are* beautiful.  :)

What does this mean? “Sandy, what I've been doing is adding a comment reply after all the narrations are filled in an old post to bump it up for visibility.”

Do you mean at the end of the book discussion?

I am subscribed to the original thread by email so every time a new post is created I should see it. That would point me to look for a new thread to subscribe to. If this is what you’re doing though I need to come up with a new method. I am not on the forum often enough to catch them when they pop up. And my forum skills are super basic. Still learning.

Just mulling aloud here….
Sandy
When you subscribe by email, it will only notify you once until you go look at the thread. So subsequent posts won't generate an email unless you have been out to look at the thread since the last email.
Kathy 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  too many auto-subscribe posts to follow, how to unsubscribe MichelleDee 2 3,921 08-14-2023, 05:44 AM
Last Post: MichelleDee
  How to see all posts on entire forum by date HannahA 11 14,733 07-17-2023, 02:14 PM
Last Post: HannahA
  In Search of Posts Sammie2 5 7,683 06-22-2023, 05:31 AM
Last Post: Sammie2
  unable to edit post MichelleDee 2 4,408 05-01-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: MichelleDee
  Islam essay no longer available amybest 2 3,829 04-07-2023, 08:50 PM
Last Post: hindmanfam
  Can't edit a for-sale posting HillaryJ 2 3,958 06-30-2022, 06:37 AM
Last Post: HillaryJ
  Quote Appearing in New Posts Sandy O 8 10,113 10-06-2021, 02:08 AM
Last Post: Sandy O
  How to delete / edit post? charisully 3 4,854 09-30-2021, 05:10 AM
Last Post: lklivingston
  I can't get used to the new "New Posts" icon Kelly Cumbee 15 19,750 09-11-2021, 04:54 AM
Last Post: lklivingston
  Moderated Posts lesliegid 10 12,597 04-23-2021, 03:50 PM
Last Post: Maysaa