Some Bible & Science Changes
Announcements/Some Bible & Science Changes
[Image: 0d7d2d145dd5fc1d060af3e89e665797.jpg]

Here's what's new on AmblesideOnline's website:

We have filled out AmblesideOnline's Bible schedule for Years 1-12, updating it so that all of the AO Community (regular Years as well as Groups) is on the same schedule. You can see it (both the new and the old version) on the Bible subject page of our website. We are very excited to have this long-standing project completed!

We've also made a change with Year 5 (& 6...&7...&9...&10!). We've replaced "Christian Liberty Nature Reader 5" with Jeannie Fulbright and Dr. Brooke Ryan's "Exploring Creation with Human Anatomy and Physiology." This book will be used for both Year 5 and Year 6.

So what will be moved from Year 6 to make room? It was always our intent to use Rachel Carson's "The Sea Around Us - Young Reader's Edition." But since that version is out of print and no longer readily available, we are moving (the regular version of) "The Sea Around Us" to be divided between Years 9 & 10, where we think it will be a better fit.

And what happens with students (now entering year 7, 8, or 9) who have already read "The Sea Around Us" for their Year 6? For those students, one good option is Rachel Carson's "Under the Sea Wind."

Be sure to check out our new Science subject page, which explains AO's science choices in the light of Charlotte Mason's educational practice and philosophy.

As always, know that we on the AO Advisory are praying for you and yours as you plan for the coming year, and we are sending along some virtual "jam to go with it"!

(Edited to add: Two things - 
1) We've not put Bible on a rotation like Art, Music, Folk Songs, and Hymns. "On the same schedule" means, for example, all Year 6 students (regular Years as well as Groups) do the same thing. We also filled in our Bible schedule, which was a project that had not been completed. If you wish to have your family/students all doing the same Bible schedule, pick a year to do together. Our overall Charlotte Mason-based plan for Bible for AO students is on the drop-down page on our Subject section of the website.

2)  The schedule for the Christian Liberty Nature Reader 5 will still be found on our website in the footnotes (for those who need it), as well as a schedule for Rachel Carson's "Under the Sea Wind" for year 6. (If it's not there yet, it should be later today or tomorrow.)

I hope that helps clear things up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Honored to be an Advisory Member. Mom to 4 (all grown), Mom-Mom to 5 (2 that I homeschool). 
God is safe to trust!  http://www.safetotrust.blogspot.com
Announcements/RE: Some Bible & Science Changes
(04-03-2023, 11:49 AM)Donna-Jean Wrote: We've also made a change with Year 5 (& 6...&7...&9...&10!). We've replaced "Christian Liberty Nature Reader 5" with Jeannie Fulbright and Dr. Brooke Ryan's "Exploring Creation with Human Anatomy and Physiology." This book will be used for both Year 5 and Year 6.

May I ask the reason behind the switch from the Nature Reader to the Apologia textbook?

I already have The Child's Books of Nature: Animals, so I'm wondering if that is still a good choice, or if there is something special or not-to-be-missed in Exploring Creation? :)
2nd Gen Homeschooler, and full-time-working-mom.

The following 1 user Likes kerricanner's post:
  • jessicargrimes
Announcements/Some Bible & Science Changes
Are the old schedules still available somewhere?

We've had feedback about the Christian Liberty Nature Reader being dated; the science of physiology has made some strides since the book was written. And the Apologia is probably more engaging for students.
"Our aim in Education is to give a Full Life." -- Mom to 4 AO Graduates, Grandma to 3
"Practically, nearly, almost and in all ways visible to normal mortals Invincible" (due to the diplomatic immunity of Admin.) [cheesy grin]
The following 5 users Like LeslieNoelani's post:
  • COMama, Heatherml, jessicargrimes, JoyH, KathyM
(04-03-2023, 12:24 PM)teacherturnedmomma Wrote: Are the old schedules still available somewhere?

Not yet, at least not for science -- I'll post them separately, like bookmarks, probably tomorrow, and provide links from the booklists. Kathy probably has old copies of the chart/grid schedules.
"Our aim in Education is to give a Full Life." -- Mom to 4 AO Graduates, Grandma to 3
"Practically, nearly, almost and in all ways visible to normal mortals Invincible" (due to the diplomatic immunity of Admin.) [cheesy grin]
The following 1 user Likes LeslieNoelani's post:
  • jessicargrimes
Thank you, thank you as always for all this work, and the muffin too [:P cheesy, cheesy!]

We have always saved Carson for the upper years so it works for us! [cheesy grin]

The science page looks good and although we are approaching the end of our AO years it is wonderful to see the upper years science slowly change and grow as more books become available and we work together to explore them.
2 Graduated, Year 11-ish, Year 9-ish
*post concussion shenanigans mean punctuation will be complicated at best*
The following 8 users Like MaggieAnnie's post:
  • amandapayne, COMama, Donna-Jean, Heatherml, HillaryJ, jessicargrimes, verkom, Zoo Keeper
Thanks for the updates. We have really enjoyed "the Sea around us" this year (Y6) but could be too much for many students at this age. I'll be checking out the new schedules soon!
(04-03-2023, 12:24 PM)teacherturnedmomma Wrote: Are the old schedules still available somewhere?

The old schedules (and booklists) that Leslie linked when she made the Spiritual Formation and Citizenship changes will also have the old information for Bible and Science.  So you can still get those from the website if you look for the link in the paragraph just below the Key on the booklist.  These will stay for a year.

I loaded all the old copies of the charts here on the forum, in the Resources area.  These should be able to stay forever.
Kathy 
For we are God’s handiwork, recreated in Christ Jesus, that we may do those good works which God predestined for us, that we should walk in them.
The following 1 user Likes lklivingston's post:
  • amandapayne
Also, I haven't updated the schedules on all the charts yet, so if you download a chart from the website, you might still get the old schedule. The new charts have been loaded for Years 1-6 and Groups Forms I and II, but not for anything else. Look at the date in the footer of a chart you download to see when it was last updated.
Kathy 
For we are God’s handiwork, recreated in Christ Jesus, that we may do those good works which God predestined for us, that we should walk in them.
(04-03-2023, 12:29 PM)LeslieNoelani Wrote: Not yet, at least not for science -- I'll post them separately, like bookmarks, probably tomorrow, and provide links from the booklists.

I pasted the old schedules for the science books into the Footnotes for Year 5 and 6. They're linked from the new book.

I couldn't think of a way to link them from without re-listing the book that was moved (or removed). Without the old book, there's nothing to link.
The following 1 user Likes LeslieNoelani's post:
  • Subversive Gardener

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Year 9 Science AO Advisory 55 638,135 09-08-2021, 10:05 PM
Last Post: kgkat
  Year 6 Bible Change lklivingston 0 13,051 10-16-2019, 07:55 AM
Last Post: lklivingston
  Science changes for year 8 and 3 Jeanne Webb 31 429,372 09-19-2015, 05:32 AM
Last Post: michelle dawn
  AO Science! Lani 33 509,812 08-08-2014, 01:30 AM
Last Post: Kathy W.
  Science Change: Years 2 and 3/Pagoo LeslieNoelani 1 62,469 11-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Phyllis