Uploading Photo
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/Uploading Photo
It's not intuitive to me as to how one would go about uploading a profile photo. Can someone point me in the right direction please?
Callie
dd 17yo, ds 15yo, ds 13yo, ds 10yo and ds 4yo
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/RE: Uploading Photo
(08-01-2012, 10:54 AM)yellowletters Wrote: It's not intuitive to me as to how one would go about uploading a profile photo. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

OPTION #1
  • Look up at the top of the page where it says "Welcome back, (your screen name).
  • Move all the way to the end of that line where it reads: User CP. Click that.
  • When you make it to the next page, look to your left where it reads "Menu".
  • Underneath that you'll see, in black letters, "Messenger," some of its subcategories, and then in black letters "Your profile."

You may have to click the + or - sign by the heading (on the left).
  • Under "Your profile" you scan down a few until you see "Change Avatar." Click on that.
  • You will then see:

Quote:An avatar is a small identifying image shown under the author's name whenever they make a post. The maximum dimensions for avatars are: 120x120 pixels. The maximum file size for avatars is 50 KB. You are currently using an uploaded avatar. If you upload another one, your old one will be deleted.
  • You have two options at this point. I will tell you how to do both.
  • The first is to upload your own Avatar that you have on your computer. Its best if it measures 120x120 and is no more than 50KB, but it could measure 120x90 ... 120x80 .... something like that... and still be fine for an avatar.

Those are just examples; as long as it's not over 120 on either of the measurements, you're good.
  • You may want to resize your photo or image with a program that you have on your computer, or with a free one like IrfanView (there are others out there) to get it to look the way you want, but you don't have to. If you try to upload one that's too large, the forum will resize it for you.
  • Once you have it resized, make sure to save it on your computer.

Some like to use the desktop just because they can easily find it.
  • Back on the forum's 'change avatar' page, you can now click on the 'Upload Avatar Box' or click on the 'browse' button; either one will work.
  • Your computer's window will open.
  • You'll then need to navigate to where it is that you saved your Avatar image.

This is why the desktop is a bit easier for some; they don't have to navigate through a lot of folders.
  • Okay, so once you've done that, just click "change avatar" and you are good to go!

OPTION #2
  • If you want to save your Avatar to a place like Flickr or Photobucket, or you find an avatar in a collection on one of these sites and want to use it instead of your own, you can simply copy and paste the avatar's http://(URL GOES HERE) into the Avatar URL: box.
  • Once you have done that, Click the "change avatar" button and you should be good.

Option #3

Technically we have a third option, but you probably don't want to use it right now. We've not loaded the database with images, so the pickin's are slim at present.

If you do decide to use a default avatar --the butterfly is nice --, this is what you would do:
  • When you get to the page where you change/add your avatar, you may choose the 'Default Avatar' drop down menu.
  • Click the 'Go' button.
  • You may then choose one of the few default avatars that are available in the Local Avatar Galleries, or the 'clear' avatar if you don't want anything.
  • After clicking the radio button next to your chosen avatar, click the 'Change Avatar' button underneath the avatars.

----------------
----------------

If you don't like what you have uploaded for yourself, just repeat the process and upload images until you find one that you do like!

Hope this helps! If not, just ask and I'll see if I can post it for you. (Not sure if I can do that, as I've not tried!)
Stephanie  [Heart <3] DS 18
Charlotte Mason Devotees, Since 2004

Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/RE: Uploading Photo
As administrator, I could do it for you, but if you can email me a photo, you can probably upload one. :) Especially with Stephanie's detailed directions!

I see you're in Charlotte. That's one of our two home bases in the states. We were just there recently. Our families are quite similar, too. We're just started one child ahead of you.
Phyllis in Ukraine, with Jaan (AO grad), Raia (AO grad), Asya (age 16), Bogdan (age 13)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to include a photo in a post? Kari Ellen 47 55,620 09-04-2017, 05:41 AM
Last Post: auburngirl
  Avatar photo sideways islavet 2 3,485 01-02-2017, 10:57 AM
Last Post: islavet
  Adding a photo Carol 3 4,700 04-04-2014, 01:38 PM
Last Post: Willow Skyrider
  Insert Photo from computer in Post? KayPelham 11 13,737 08-03-2012, 04:52 AM
Last Post: zami