Please Read: Regarding Ambleside Online's Copyright Policy
Announcements/RE: Please Read: Regarding Ambleside Online's Copyright Policy
(08-30-2013, 04:31 AM)Hunter Wrote: Back before I knew what AO was, I would occasionally stumble upon an article here during research, and copy and paste part of it with a link, in a thread at TWTM forum.

I am not so sure that crosses any line -- the general gist is that if you're encouraging others to use the AO website, you're probably fine (and posting a portion of an article with a link to read the rest of it is generally fine across the internet; I see people do that all the time with blog posts and news articles and such). It's websites that are posting AO's entire Year 1 Booklist, or one of Anne White's entire Plutarch studies, or AO's entire 12-year composer line-up, or an entire year's weekly schedules, so that there's no need to use the AO website. And it's not that we're persnickety about the number of visitors -- the fact is, we don't keep track of web visitors, and we gain nothing from how many website visitors we have. It's more the subtle transference of moving parts of AO to another website and slowly ending up appearing as if AO's material originated somewhere else, or as if a tweaked version of AO was someone else's original work, or as if AO's material is public domain and free for the taking. Any of those undermines the AO project itself, and we're seeing all of those things happening, and it's alarming to us.
"Our aim in Education is to give a Full Life." -- Mom to 4 AO Graduates, Grandma to 3
"Practically, nearly, almost and in all ways visible to normal mortals Invincible" (due to the diplomatic immunity of Admin.) [cheesy grin]
The following 10 users Like LeslieNoelani's post:
  • Brandy Vencel, COMama, Daixin, Hunter, KayPelham, Lizzie Smith, Mfbell, Sarah, Ten Arrows, WendiC

Messages In This Thread
RE: Please Read: Regarding Ambleside Online's Copyright Policy - by LeslieNoelani - 08-30-2013, 04:54 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Year 7 Free Read Change lklivingston 10 139,005 04-17-2019, 03:00 AM
Last Post: lklivingston
Exclamation PLEASE READ: Routine Maintenance this week MelisaH 1 39,481 08-30-2014, 02:59 PM
Last Post: MelisaH
Exclamation PLEASE READ: Routine Maintenance this weekend MelisaH 20 307,879 04-08-2014, 08:32 AM
Last Post: Dawn Duran