Please Read: Regarding Ambleside Online's Copyright Policy
Announcements/RE: Please Read: Regarding Ambleside Online's Copyright Policy
(11-04-2018, 05:35 AM)ccsdg Wrote: I'm an erstwhile designer/artist trying to express a mixture of wanting to advertise AO and also possibly keep my hand in logo design.  Can I design logos that use the name "Ambleside Online" without permission?  For example, if I design a logo in my own time and the Advisory don't like or want it.  Am I allowed to then distribute the design?  Sell it?  Personally I'm quite happy to design logos for other things to achieve the latter part of my intention if AO doesn't want me designing things with its name on it...  but I love AO and I wondered if I could kill two birds with one stone.

I did read the AO license page.  It seems to refer to the copyright of curriculum material, not the Ambleside Online name (or logo), except in the Q&A section, where we're allowed to use the name in our own blogs and link it when quoting.  Presumably we can present the name on our blog in whatever design of our choice and then also market the blog... but presuming is a poor substitute for clarity.  Perhaps copyright of the name could be specified in the license?

No, you may not. We designed AO in our own time at much personal expense in terms of both time and financial cost and we make it free to others, maintain it, upkeep it, continue to create for it and to provide free advise and consultations on FB and in the forum, and we do not do this in order for others to see our work as a platform for making money. If you love AO, please also love our vision and respect our work by not trying to market any part of it, including the name.

Thanks for understanding.
Wendi C, Advisory, mom to 7, grandma to 14
Education for All, CM Journal/e-zine
Blog: WendiWanders
The following 8 users Like WendiC's post:
  • ccsdg, Dawn Duran, Farm Girl, Lani, LynnBruce, MaryEllen, Mrs.Honey, Primeperiwinkle

Messages In This Thread
RE: Please Read: Regarding Ambleside Online's Copyright Policy - by WendiC - 11-04-2018, 09:37 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Year 7 Free Read Change lklivingston 10 139,018 04-17-2019, 03:00 AM
Last Post: lklivingston
Exclamation PLEASE READ: Routine Maintenance this week MelisaH 1 39,486 08-30-2014, 02:59 PM
Last Post: MelisaH
Exclamation PLEASE READ: Routine Maintenance this weekend MelisaH 20 307,921 04-08-2014, 08:32 AM
Last Post: Dawn Duran