AmblesideOnline Forums

Full Version: Want to Connect With AO on Facebook?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Y'all come! [cheesy grin]
(10-07-2015, 01:23 PM)juliebugg Wrote: [ -> ]So I feel like the forum is for "serious inquiries only" because they are here for, like, ever. and Facebook is quicker/less serious/more transient. If I have just a quick question, how does the forum feel about that? I can't tell! How do we feel about this?

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

The value of the forum for any sort of question is that it becomes a resource for the future. Your 'quick' question may be of benefit to who knows how many people later on.
So - I thought I had joined AO's facebook page years ago. I love to read the helpful blog posts, etc. Then I went to the retreat and heard all these people talking about a fb page that seemed much busier than the one I knew and loved. Came home and found out "oh, there's a GROUP!".

But, yes - chaos.

I didn't know it was possible to turn notifications off. I think I have to try that.

I've also noticed that people only half doing AO or just using it as a reading list seem to offer that kind of advice more freely on FB, while here we mostly keep that in the "combining with other curricula" area.

My favorite place to go for quick questions is the site map. But I'm probably odd that way. I spent 2 years getting to know AO through the site map before I got brave enough to join the yahoo loop.

You can also search the forum to see if someone else already asked your question.
So is the forum quieter because of Facebook??
I don't do Facebook but it does seem a little quiet here.
Really? I thought it has been quite busy on the forum :)
I think they are both very busy. Every few days I skim through Facebook to see what has been posted/asked, but I don't post or comment. I see many of the same type of questions which are posted here, but there is also a lot of pictorial sharing of daily AO moments. I have gleaned some good information through Facebook. There are some AA who are much more active on Facebook than the Forum and some who are much more active on the Forum than Facebook. I still have no idea how anyone keeps tracking of what is going on in Facebook. Perhaps I will learn that with time.
I feel like the forum has gotten quite a bit slower! But it's seemed to happen gradually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One way I gauge the activity Forum is by choosing "View Today's Posts" and then looking how many pages of threads are there. Typically there are 3 or 4. Sometimes, mainly weekends, there are 2. One day recently (in the last few months), we made it to 5! I think I would say the Forum has slowed down if we consistently only have 2 pages during the week.

It would be sad if the Forum slowed down. I am noticing many more serious questions on Facebook, and the discussions for those questions are occurring on Facebook. There was one I was disappointed to have missed--by that I mean that the discussion was not taking place on the Forum. I wish I could remember what it was. It was a very good discussion with quite a few of the AA taking part.

I'm not opposed to Facebook; I just don't know how to proceed with it in a useful way. To me, it is random and chaotic. I'm hoping over time, as I go there, it begins to make sense.
I thought things had slown down, too. I gauge this the same way Dawn Girl does.
I think it has quieted here slightly simply because all the beginning-of-the-school-year questions have slowed.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11