AO Science!
Announcements/RE: AO Science!
(06-26-2014, 07:48 AM)Amy Jo Wrote: Year 4 had Building Foundations Of Scientific Understanding added (of what I saw).

Year 4 had a picture book added - Gregor Mendel, the Friar Who Grew Peas. He did experiements with genetics.

And Building Foundations Of Scientific Understanding was added as an optional suggestion for Years 3-7.
"Our aim in Education is to give a Full Life." -- Mom to 4 AO Graduates, Grandma to 3
"Practically, nearly, almost and in all ways visible to normal mortals Invincible" (due to the diplomatic immunity of Admin.) [cheesy grin]
The following 3 users Like LeslieNoelani's post:
  • Amy Jo Hines, Brandy Vencel, Elizabeth
LOVE! Thanks to everyone who is working tirelessly to make AO science live and breathe!
Christy in TN :: oakcottage.net
A house that has a library in it has a soul. -- Plato
Yes, I forgot to note it was optional. [cheesy grin] I get lazy on my phone.

And why not have your year 8 students do some of the new books in year 7? I'm sure they will be relevant to that age as well.
Amy, who wishes to be a hobbit :)
Two homeschool graduates (DS20, DS19)
Currently homeschooling (DS16, DD13)
The following 5 users Like Amy Jo Hines's post:
  • ChristyH, CottageSchool, Pamark1, Sunflower, VanessaB
(06-26-2014, 08:10 AM)Amy Jo Wrote: Yes, I forgot to note it was optional. [cheesy grin] I get lazy on my phone.

And why not have your year 8 students do some of the new books in year 7? I'm sure they will be relevant to that age as well.

My year 8 student is doing just that. ;) And BFSU continues into year 8 as an option as well. Other suggestions could be found in the science forum I am sure.
Lani
mom to 6 (4 graduates and 2 high schoolers)

Overseer AmbleRamble, Moderator Language Arts/Narration, Hot Topics & Mothering Large Families
(06-26-2014, 07:56 AM)LeslieNoelani Wrote: Year 4 had a picture book added - Gregor Mendel, the Friar Who Grew Peas. He did experiements with genetics.

Shoot, DS's already read it. We have that one lying around. It's a good one!
DD (Year 4), DD (7th-PS), DD (9th-PS), DS (11th-PS)  "If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea." Antoine de Saint-Exupery
(06-26-2014, 12:47 PM)Sonia Wrote: Shoot, DS's already read it.

Then you're ahead of the game! This is one that could be borrowed from the library and read in one sitting.
"Our aim in Education is to give a Full Life." -- Mom to 4 AO Graduates, Grandma to 3
"Practically, nearly, almost and in all ways visible to normal mortals Invincible" (due to the diplomatic immunity of Admin.) [cheesy grin]
The following 1 user Likes LeslieNoelani's post:
  • Sonia
(06-26-2014, 12:47 PM)Sonia Wrote: Shoot, DS's already read it. We have that one lying around. It's a good one!

Oh I hate when that happens!
Has he read Theodoric's Rainbow?
We like them both ;)
The following 1 user Likes MaggieAnnie's post:
  • Sonia
(06-26-2014, 12:47 PM)Sonia Wrote: Shoot, DS's already read it. We have that one lying around. It's a good one!

One less book that he needs to narrate! :-) You certainly don't need to worry about reading this ahead of time. We just want kids to have read it sometime!
Jeanne in Australia
A Peaceful Day
The following 4 users Like Jeanne Webb's post:
  • CottageSchool, Dawn Duran, Kathy W., Sonia
(06-26-2014, 01:28 PM)MaggieAnnie Wrote: Oh I hate when that happens!
Has he read Theodoric's Rainbow?
We like them both ;)

He hasn't! I'll look it up.
DD (Year 4), DD (7th-PS), DD (9th-PS), DS (11th-PS)  "If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea." Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Great news! They sound like wonderful additions.
Elizabeth a Texas transplant in the land of the midnight sun

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some Bible & Science Changes Donna-Jean 37 53,595 04-05-2023, 04:34 AM
Last Post: Mariel
  Year 9 Science AO Advisory 55 633,546 09-08-2021, 10:05 PM
Last Post: kgkat
  Science changes for year 8 and 3 Jeanne Webb 31 427,141 09-19-2015, 05:32 AM
Last Post: michelle dawn
  Science Change: Years 2 and 3/Pagoo LeslieNoelani 1 62,263 11-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Phyllis