Forums with Moderation
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/RE: Forums with Moderation
(12-01-2014, 08:58 AM)Jeanne Webb Wrote: Who vacuums behind the piano? I think that needs to be a hot topic in and of itself!

There is an outlet behind there that lights on the fireplace mantle plug into....I had to move it out to plug it in and was horrified at the cobweb collection (and Lego bits) that were behind it. Since we have a brand new (early Christmas present for the family - ha!) vacuum, I had to put it to work....
The following 3 users Like MelisaH's post:
  • DaughterofEve, michelle dawn, Peacefully Buzzing
(12-01-2014, 09:09 AM)Dawn Girl Wrote: Melisa,

Thank you. It was probably just a "perfect storm" to make the events occur in the order they did to cause me to ask the question.

I do apologize if I came across as impatient. That was not my intention.

I'm grateful for the explanation.

Thank you for moderating. I know that is a lot of extra time. I'm also sorry you have to moderate, as something must have happened in the history of the forum for the need to arise.

Dawn,

I don't think you came across as impatient! We are all learning! :)
Dana in IN, ds6 (Y1), dd3 (Y0)
The following 1 user Likes dmccalled4's post:
  • michelle dawn
(12-01-2014, 09:09 AM)Dawn Girl Wrote: Melisa,

Thank you. It was probably just a "perfect storm" to make the events occur in the order they did to cause me to ask the question.

I do apologize if I came across as impatient. That was not my intention.

I'm grateful for the explanation.

Thank you for moderating. I know that is a lot of extra time. I'm also sorry you have to moderate, as something must have happened in the history of the forum for the need to arise.

You did not come across as impatient at all - just extra patience is needed during this time of year. No worries.

Actually, the AO forum is a very easy place to moderate! Everyone here plays pretty nice with each other and thus, little intervention is actually needed. The forum has not been around that many years, but the Yahoo Groups had been in place for years and years prior. More than anything, we are here to make sure questions get answered, threads get moved (if needed), and to watch just in case smoke starts to trickle from a thread.... [cheesy grin][Nananananananananananananana--Batman!][cheesy grin]
The following 6 users Like MelisaH's post:
  • Celeste, COMama, Dawn Duran, EmilyT, harmonyml, Peacefully Buzzing
(12-01-2014, 09:09 AM)Dawn Girl Wrote: Thank you for moderating. I know that is a lot of extra time. I'm also sorry you have to moderate, as something must have happened in the history of the forum for the need to arise.

Nothing has ever happened at AO to cause moderation of certain fora. We just felt that it was good sense, particularly in a forum called Hot Topics!

Our members here are an incredibly polite, respectful bunch, but there are some issues that just rub some people up the wrong way. We want to ensure that things are not written in the heat of the moment that may be regretted later. We also need to check that they are in line with forum rules. :-)
Jeanne in Australia
A Peaceful Day
The following 5 users Like Jeanne Webb's post:
  • Celeste, DaughterofEve, dmccalled4, lklivingston, Peacefully Buzzing
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/Re: RE: Forums with Moderation
(12-01-2014, 08:19 AM)MelisaH Wrote: Second Topic: Your post is where it was in the order it was received. It may have said one thing when you posted, but that was because there were other pending posts in front of yours. The number you thought it had was only in relation to currently approved posts. As those posts were approved, then your post being approved, everything went to where it was based on the time/date that people wrote their posts. The posts above yours have earlier times than yours. Not by much, but there they are - 3 posts that occurred within a 25 min time period.

Actually, I approved later posts and left this one pending, and that probably caused the shift. I am not a mod in that area and just approved what I was sure would be OK. So your post got approved a little later when an actual mod approved it.
Kathy 
For we are God’s handiwork, recreated in Christ Jesus, that we may do those good works which God predestined for us, that we should walk in them.
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/Re: RE: Forums with Moderation
(12-01-2014, 10:01 AM)lklivingston Wrote: Actually, I approved later posts and left this one pending, and that probably caused the shift. I am not a mod in that area and just approved what I was sure would be OK. So your post got approved a little later when an actual mod approved it.

They still list by time written, though.

{Sent from my K-Fire!}
The following 2 users Like MelisaH's post:
  • Jeanne Webb, lklivingston
One question that hasn't been answered that I would really like to know is when posts are approved out of order (for whatever reasons) will it still trigger a new post notification? And if you click on the go-to-the-first-new-post icon, will it send you to that post (with several already read posts after it) or to the newest after the already read posts? I've been wondering about that myself since a similar situation happened to me a few months ago or so. :)
Pearl (y2), Optimus (11/12), and Mochi (03/15) ~~~ Moderating Q&A, Math, and Health Challenges
“Play is often talked about as if it were a relief from serious learning. But for children play is serious learning. Play is really the work of childhood.” -Fred Rogers
(12-01-2014, 01:00 PM)harmonyml Wrote: One question that hasn't been answered that I would really like to know is when posts are approved out of order (for whatever reasons) will it still trigger a new post notification? And if you click on the go-to-the-first-new-post icon, will it send you to that post (with several already read posts after it) or to the newest after the already read posts? I've been wondering about that myself since a similar situation happened to me a few months ago or so. :)

That, I don't know. I suspect it would entail Phyllis or one of us other Admins taking time to do some testing.
(12-01-2014, 08:58 AM)Jeanne Webb Wrote: Who vacuums behind the piano? I think that needs to be a hot topic in and of itself!

When the tuner is coming on her, ahem, yearly-ish visit, and you want to impress her with the impeccable care you take of your instruments. ;)
Kathy W.~Northwest by North
"The teacher who allows his scholars the freedom of the city of books is at liberty to be their guide, philosopher and friend; and is no long the mere instrument of forcible intellectual feeding."
Vol. 6
The following 3 users Like Kathy W.'s post:
  • COMama, MelisaH, Mrs. A

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Access to private forums Elijah and Dad 2 3,611 10-03-2023, 03:30 PM
Last Post: Phyllis
  I can't access the teen forums anymore unavalible_username 20 24,810 01-14-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Barb Gifford
  Can't search private forums Amy Jo Hines 1 3,062 10-09-2017, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Phyllis
  private forums nectarhill 3 6,414 11-15-2014, 06:28 AM
Last Post: MelisaH
  Learning how to use the Forums Jane Fettig 3 4,485 09-17-2012, 04:55 PM
Last Post: NaomiG
  Can I email forums or threads? islavet 10 12,748 08-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Last Post: lklivingston