2016 AO Conference!!! SAVE THE DATE!!!!
Announcements/RE: 2016 AO Conference!!! SAVE THE DATE!!!!
(04-27-2016, 01:53 PM)lklivingston Wrote: I really don't know how to advise you!  I think all the sessions could be applicable to someone just starting out.  Because of our numbers, it's possible some sessions may fill up, so that may help you decide.  :-p

What do you mean with filling up? Do we sign up for each session we want to go to beforehand? Or how does that work? Thanks, Friederike
The following 1 user Likes Friederike's post:
  • Amy Jo Hines
Friederike, we don't know yet how we'll handle the breakouts. Probably you will sign up when you arrive. We can have 50+ people in each, except maybe Swedish drill.

I plan to send out a poll soon!
Kathy 
For we are God’s handiwork, recreated in Christ Jesus, that we may do those good works which God predestined for us, that we should walk in them.
The following 2 users Like lklivingston's post:
  • Friederike, phoebebopeep
If you make a poll to ask if Swedish Drill and Nature Study classes should be repeated at 4:00 I would wholeheartedly vote, "Yes!" I would love to attend both. ;)
Ambassador to a spirited little boy:
*Tango (age 11) Year 5
 - Northwest Connecticut
The following 4 users Like Mrs.Honey's post:
  • Friederike, Malgomaj, phoebebopeep, Purposeful Abnegation
(04-26-2016, 03:53 PM)Mrs.Honey Wrote: I'm quite new to Charlotte Mason and have just begun Year 1 with my son a few weeks back. I'm looking over the schedule and would love some suggestions as to what breakout sessions I should take. I'd love to learn more detailed information about particular subjects, Nature Study for example, however the Overview and Year 1, Year 2, etc. might be more important for me to be in. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

I'm doing overview, music, atmosphere, foreign language. Probably. :)
~Kimberly Rotter~
Homeschooling one daughter, Year 5 in 2020-2021
http://AnArmyOfWriters.com
Spiritual but secular Charlotte Mason in San Diego, CA.
The following 1 user Likes KimSanDiego's post:
  • Mrs.Honey
(04-28-2016, 11:35 AM)Mrs.Honey Wrote: If you make a poll to ask if Swedish Drill and Nature Study classes should be repeated at 4:00 I would wholeheartedly vote, "Yes!" I would love to attend both. ;)

I second this!! ;-)

Is "Overview" considered separately from the year it is listed with? Meaning, can one go to just the overview part and then another session? I was assuming not, but want to double-check.
Mom to one DD, Y4
Louisiana, U.S.A.

“If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world.” - C.S. Lewis

The following 1 user Likes phoebebopeep's post:
  • Mrs.Honey
(04-28-2016, 11:50 AM)phoebebopeep Wrote: Is "Overview" considered separately from the year it is listed with? Meaning, can one go to just the overview part and then another session? I was assuming not, but want to double-check.

The Overview/Years sessions are sort of double sessions. The first part covers an overview of Years 1/2/3 (or 4/5/6, or 7/8/9, or 10/11/12) and then Year 1 (or 4, or 7, or 10). The second part (second hour?) covers Years 2/3 (or 5/6, 8/9, or 11/12). It's set up so you can attend just the first or second part.

I don't know if I'm explaining that very well. It makes perfect sense in my head! [Ha ha ha ha!]
"Our aim in Education is to give a Full Life." -- Mom to 4 AO Graduates, Grandma to 3
"Practically, nearly, almost and in all ways visible to normal mortals Invincible" (due to the diplomatic immunity of Admin.) [cheesy grin]
The following 3 users Like LeslieNoelani's post:
  • lklivingston, Mrs.Honey, phoebebopeep
(04-26-2016, 03:53 PM)Mrs.Honey Wrote: I'm quite new to Charlotte Mason and have just begun Year 1 with my son a few weeks back. I'm looking over the schedule and would love some suggestions as to what breakout sessions I should take. I'd love to learn more detailed information about particular subjects, Nature Study for example, however the Overview and Year 1, Year 2, etc. might be more important for me to be in. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

If I were new to AO with a Year 1 student I think I would do these:
1. Parents' Review Article
2. Overview & Years 2 and 3
3. Atmosphere, Discipline & Life (or Reading if was something I struggled with)
4. Foreign Language
BECKY ~ ds10-Y4; dd8-Y3, ds7-Y2, dd6-Y1, ds2 (The Babe)
"I have dreamt in my life, dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas; they have gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the color of my mind."

The following 1 user Likes SowingLittleSeeds's post:
  • Mrs.Honey
Announcements/2016 AO Conference!!! SAVE THE DATE!!!!
(04-28-2016, 11:56 AM)LeslieNoelani Wrote: The Overview/Years sessions are sort of double sessions. The first part covers an overview of Years 1/2/3 (or 4/5/6, or 7/8/9, or 10/11/12) and then Year 1 (or 4, or 7, or 10). The second part (second hour?) covers Years 2/3 (or 5/6, 8/9, or 11/12). It's set up so you can attend just the first or second part.

I don't know if I'm explaining that very well. It makes perfect sense in my head! [Ha ha ha ha!]

Yes, that makes sense. Thank you. Would you be able to go to Nature Study and Year 1, for example? I figure you might miss part of Nature Study...assuming it would run the same amount of time as both the Overview and Year 1 combined. Is that right?
Mom to one DD, Y4
Louisiana, U.S.A.

“If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world.” - C.S. Lewis

The following 1 user Likes phoebebopeep's post:
  • Lindsaytaylortaylor
You couldn't do both Year 1 and something else at that timeslot. Overview 1-3 and Year 1 are a unit, one session.
Kathy 
For we are God’s handiwork, recreated in Christ Jesus, that we may do those good works which God predestined for us, that we should walk in them.
The following 1 user Likes lklivingston's post:
  • phoebebopeep
Announcements/2016 AO Conference!!! SAVE THE DATE!!!!
Exactly what I was wonderig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following 2 users Like Lindsaytaylortaylor's post:
  • Joy, phoebebopeep

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Save the Date! Donna-Jean 86 537,003 10-18-2018, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Queensuzie2
  Third conference plenary AO Forum 8 108,054 03-19-2017, 07:15 AM
Last Post: Meshelle911
  Christmas Break 2016 lklivingston 7 112,496 02-01-2017, 06:19 AM
Last Post: Heivices
  Conference Resources (notes & things promised at the Heart of AO Conf 2016) NaomiG 26 366,928 08-29-2016, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Phyllis
  Next conference plenary (extra special!) AO Forum 10 140,570 07-31-2016, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Peacefully Buzzing
  Conference audio! AO Forum 28 357,043 07-29-2016, 06:42 AM
Last Post: islavet
  Second conference plenary! AO Forum 24 308,598 07-28-2016, 09:15 PM
Last Post: BecTasmanian
  Folksongs 2016-2017 lklivingston 4 70,315 06-21-2016, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Subversive Gardener
  Conference scholarships! WendiC 11 153,043 05-23-2016, 11:36 PM
Last Post: mcsorleyfam
  2016 Conference - What to Bring lklivingston 10 136,560 05-18-2016, 02:54 PM
Last Post: phoebebopeep