2016 AO Conference!!! SAVE THE DATE!!!!
Announcements/2016 AO Conference!!! SAVE THE DATE!!!!
(04-27-2016, 01:24 PM)Friederike Wrote: I have to tell of our adventure today, God has humor. We went to a student event at Scarborough fair today ( which is just 6 miles down the road from the conference center, but honestly it totally slipped my mind today). So on the way home we took a detour visiting a friend. We had to drive through a construction site with one side closed. Suddenly the truck in front of my with a trailer slipped on hit the trailer. It got stuck. All of us had to back up and I had to try to figure out how to get to my friend. We noticed a dirt road on the side. Someone told us to turn right at the next street, which said Lakeview camp( and yes sorry I didn't get it) So we drove through the camp and arrived safely at our friends place. A few hours later it dawned on me where we drove through: yes our AO camp site. Duhhh, I had to laugh. God sure has humor. My children noticed the big water park on the backside of the camp. Just had share our adventure today. See you guys soon. Blessings, Friederike

We love nearby! Wonder if I've passed it and not known. We are from Mansfield tx and have only lived in Ellis county for around three years.
The following 2 users Like Lindsaytaylortaylor's post:
  • Friederike, phoebebopeep
Announcements/RE: 2016 AO Conference!!! SAVE THE DATE!!!!
Thanks! I was thinking Nature Study, and cloning myself to be in Swedish Drill at the same time. Haha Then doing the Year 2 option, but nothing's sticking out for me at the 4:00 slot. We already have a very strong Foreign Language class going so I really don't fit into anything else there....
Ambassador to a spirited little boy:
*Tango (age 11) Year 5
 - Northwest Connecticut
The following 2 users Like Mrs.Honey's post:
  • Joy, MichelleChoe
You could get a preview of 5&6! Or take a break to chat. These are full days!
Kathy 
For we are God’s handiwork, recreated in Christ Jesus, that we may do those good works which God predestined for us, that we should walk in them.
The following 1 user Likes lklivingston's post:
  • Mrs.Honey
(04-28-2016, 11:35 AM)Mrs.Honey Wrote: If you make a poll to ask if Swedish Drill and Nature Study classes should be repeated at 4:00 I would wholeheartedly vote, "Yes!" I would love to attend both. ;)

But then, as the Swedish Drill presenter,  I wouldn't be able to attend anything in the 4:00 spot and I'm already "missing" an option in the 10:00 spot. I kind of have to be at Swedish Drill.  [:P cheesy, cheesy!]

Seriously, it's great to see people interested in attending. In case you've missed it I've written a Swedish Drill background post featured on Afterthoughts. For those of you attending I'd encourage you to read it so I can spend more time teaching actual drill elements in my breakout session. Those of you who won't be able to attend this session can also learn a bit about Drill through this and my next post on Afterthoughts. 

Looking forward to sharing what I've learned about Drill with some of you in the flesh. SOON!
“When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”~Erasmus
Moderating in History & Geography and Physical Education
(04-28-2016, 01:32 AM)lklivingston Wrote: We almost certainly will not be recording video.

Okay.  I was just a suggestion.  I will be there. I was thinking of the others.
Dawn is paying to attend, same as everybody else. And yet she's donating her time and one session to do Swedish Drill because she's amazing like that. We're covering AA expenses but Naomi is a homeschooling mom, too, and she wants to attend some sessions and get some ideas (she's got a child entering year 9 and is especially keen on attending that session).

WE still can't figure out how to load and sell last year's audio files from the conference, and we're not entirely sure we will be able to do this year's (we're working on it, and we're hopeful). I am pretty sure all of us are still working on our talks while trying to stamp out the usual fires (don't even get me started on paypal) and homeschool and run our houses and feed the family and all that jazz. Plus, plan a conference and manage the forum and FB. So we really can't add trying to manage video to the mix right now.
Wendi C, Advisory, mom to 7, grandma to 14
Education for All, CM Journal/e-zine
Blog: WendiWanders
The following 7 users Like WendiC's post:
  • Dawn Duran, Donna-Jean, Joy, MamaSnow, NaomiG, phoebebopeep, SowingLittleSeeds
Yes, we're not trying to be ornery. :-) We just can't take on any further challenges.
Kathy 
For we are God’s handiwork, recreated in Christ Jesus, that we may do those good works which God predestined for us, that we should walk in them.
The following 3 users Like lklivingston's post:
  • Donna-Jean, phoebebopeep, WendiC
(04-28-2016, 01:29 PM)lklivingston Wrote: You couldn't do both Year 1 and something else at that timeslot. Overview 1-3 and Year 1 are a unit, one session.

We have each of the breakout sessions scheduled to be 45 minutes.  So - Special Needs is 45 minutes, Nature Study is 45 minutes, etc.  We had originally put, for instance, Overview of years 1-3, plus year 1, year 2, and year 3 in a double time block.  Then we realized we could divide it into *two* sessions, allowing attendees to go to more sessions.  

So now one breakout is, for instance, Overview of years 1-3 and year 1, and another breakout (in the next time slot) is Years 2 & 3. The same pattern happens with the other years. 

We tried to keep Teaching Reading at a different time than "Overview & Year 1" and "Years 2 & 3," on the assumption that attendees interested in reading would likely also be interested in those years.  

But creating a track (though I like the idea!) wasn't as cut and dried because many parents have children in all different years.  

What you see instead is four breakouts offered during each of the four time slots (there is one time slot that has five breakouts, because we can use the gym for Dawn's Swedish Drill.  We have access to four rooms for breakouts for the other three time slots).  

Each time slot has two "years" breakouts, one general topic (foreign language, reading, nature study, etc.) and one more CM philosophy breakout (Parents' Review article, Atmosphere/Discipline/Life, etc.) to choose from.  At least - that was kind of the plan  :)

This conference is packed.  Seriously.  It will be like being at a feast!  Rest up, and get ready to learn, fellowship, be challenged and inspired, and enjoy!
Honored to be an Advisory Member. Mom to 4 (all grown), Mom-Mom to 5 (2 that I homeschool). 
God is safe to trust!  http://www.safetotrust.blogspot.com
Announcements/2016 AO Conference!!! SAVE THE DATE!!!!
So I feel bad if I attend the Y5-6 session for my upcoming year 6 but not the Y-4 for my upcoming Y 4 because of other sessions. Maybe I should
Just attend the general topic and philosophy sessions and not the year specific ones? If you had to choose, which would be more important?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following 1 user Likes Lindsaytaylortaylor's post:
  • phoebebopeep
(04-29-2016, 06:47 AM)Lindsaytaylortaylor Wrote: So I feel bad if I attend the Y5-6 session for my upcoming year 6 but not the Y-4 for my upcoming Y 4 because of other sessions. Maybe I should
Just attend the general topic and philosophy sessions and not the year specific ones? If you had to choose, which would be more important?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does year 6 or year 4 worry you more? Have you done year 4 before? (I can't see signatures on my phone, apologies if the answer should be obvious.) :)

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk
Amy, who wishes to be a hobbit :)
Two homeschool graduates (DS20, DS19)
Currently homeschooling (DS16, DD13)
The following 4 users Like Amy Jo Hines's post:
  • lklivingston, NaomiG, phoebebopeep, WendiC

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Save the Date! Donna-Jean 86 536,964 10-18-2018, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Queensuzie2
  Third conference plenary AO Forum 8 108,050 03-19-2017, 07:15 AM
Last Post: Meshelle911
  Christmas Break 2016 lklivingston 7 112,488 02-01-2017, 06:19 AM
Last Post: Heivices
  Conference Resources (notes & things promised at the Heart of AO Conf 2016) NaomiG 26 366,910 08-29-2016, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Phyllis
  Next conference plenary (extra special!) AO Forum 10 140,566 07-31-2016, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Peacefully Buzzing
  Conference audio! AO Forum 28 357,027 07-29-2016, 06:42 AM
Last Post: islavet
  Second conference plenary! AO Forum 24 308,580 07-28-2016, 09:15 PM
Last Post: BecTasmanian
  Folksongs 2016-2017 lklivingston 4 70,313 06-21-2016, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Subversive Gardener
  Conference scholarships! WendiC 11 153,037 05-23-2016, 11:36 PM
Last Post: mcsorleyfam
  2016 Conference - What to Bring lklivingston 10 136,548 05-18-2016, 02:54 PM
Last Post: phoebebopeep