New changes to Amazon Associates. It will affect AO.
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/New changes to Amazon Associates. It will affect AO.
I'm sure you know about Amazon changes going into effect on March 1st but if you don't, here's the information. It most certainly affects you. https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/gp/...ng/compare

March 1, 2013 version
The following is added at the end of the sub-section:
“In addition, notwithstanding the advertising fee rates described on this page or anything to the contrary contained in this Operating Agreement, if we determine you are primarily promoting free Kindle eBooks (i.e., eBooks for which the customer purchase price is $0.00), YOU WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE TO EARN ANY ADVERTISING FEES DURING ANY MONTH IN WHICH YOU MEET THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS:
(a) 20,000 or more free Kindle eBooks are ordered and downloaded during Sessions attributed to your Special Links; and
(b) At least 80% of all Kindle eBooks ordered and downloaded during Sessions attributed to your Special Links are free Kindle eBooks.”
Lesa McMahon. Full-Time Graduate Student. IL, USA.
DD21/AO graduate/FT college student [Heart <3]
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/New changes to Amazon Associates. It will affect AO.
Ooh. I can understand why Amazon would do that but it dies seem to discourage people from sending to Amazon for freebies, which could result in paid shopping as well. Hmmm. For AO, the links to free books could change from Amazon to gutenburg or other free download sites, when possible.

Laura in KY
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Laura & sons, yr 10 and yr 0  [cheesy grin]
Blog, Pinterest, FB , IG, Goodreads
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/RE: New changes to Amazon Associates. It will affect AO.
Easier for me if the free kindle links go to Gutenburg (or similar) anyway. Then I can (1) download directly to my computer & Calibre, (2) choose the format I want and (3) less clutter in my Amazon account. Do you guys need people to collect replacements for free kindle links?
Amy, who wishes to be a hobbit :)
Two homeschool graduates (DS20, DS19)
Currently homeschooling (DS16, DD13)
Tech Support (Parent and Student Access)/RE: New changes to Amazon Associates. It will affect AO.
Or - can't you just change the links to the Kindle free ebooks to a simple link, without the associate code???
AO - Canadian Style - Maplehill Academy
Delta 15-other; Echo 12-other; Foxtrot 10-yr4; Golf 8-yr1
"My Dear, much of the work in this world is done by people who don't feel so very well." - Karen Andreola
(02-25-2013, 09:29 AM)suzukimom Wrote: Or - can't you just change the links to the Kindle free ebooks to a simple link, without the associate code???

This seems to be the simplest solution. Many times, the book title is already linked to Project Gutenberg.
"Our aim in Education is to give a Full Life." -- Mom to 4 AO Graduates, Grandma to 3
"Practically, nearly, almost and in all ways visible to normal mortals Invincible" (due to the diplomatic immunity of Admin.) [cheesy grin]
My point in sharing this is, that it will affect the money AO is able to make if too many freebie links from the AO site result in going over the newly implemented Amazon rule. AO wouldn't make a dime in any given month, no matter how much extra money they brought into Amazon from their other links, if too many freebies are downloaded.

I know it's extremely inconvenient to go in and change all of those links now. I'm sure you already have tons to do to keep AO running, educating your own kids, and living your life, than to have to worry about this mess. [Uh, wut?]
Lesa McMahon. Full-Time Graduate Student. IL, USA.
DD21/AO graduate/FT college student [Heart <3]
I'm removing all the Kindle freebie links right now. As it turns out, a lot of them were bad links anyway - links to free ebooks that were apparently removed from the Kindle store.
"Our aim in Education is to give a Full Life." -- Mom to 4 AO Graduates, Grandma to 3
"Practically, nearly, almost and in all ways visible to normal mortals Invincible" (due to the diplomatic immunity of Admin.) [cheesy grin]
The following 3 users Like LeslieNoelani's post:
  • Jeanne Webb, laurke, lesamcmahon
I had noticed that tonight when I was going through adding some more to my Kindle files. You have saved me the effort of letting you know about them. Sounds like we will be going to other resources for some of the freebies. Some were still out there, but with new links, but certainly not all of them. I wonder if this is something they are going to be trending towards in the future...
I'd rather get free books from Gutenberg than Amazon anyway. I'm going to try to be careful not to get anything free when clicking through to Amazon from AO now, though. Thanks for the heads up!
Phyllis in Ukraine, with Jaan (AO grad), Raia (AO grad), Asya (age 16), Bogdan (age 13)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wondering about a link to Amazon.ca? Laura in Ontario 2 4,616 08-09-2023, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Laura in Ontario
  AO Amazon link TheSchoolintheHills 2 4,109 09-01-2021, 09:37 AM
Last Post: TheSchoolintheHills
  Buying from amazon.co.uk and helping AO? LucyBeeH 6 8,764 08-31-2021, 01:17 PM
Last Post: lklivingston
  Amazon affiliate link for amazon.ca? Laura in Ontario 3 5,071 07-27-2020, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Laura in Ontario
  amazon links whippoorwill 4 6,883 04-14-2017, 07:34 PM
Last Post: whippoorwill
  Poetry on amazon.co.uk HelenaBooks 7 9,032 05-17-2014, 08:30 PM
Last Post: HelenaBooks