Science changes for year 8 and 3
Announcements/RE: Science changes for year 8 and 3
I just requested A Drop of Water from my library!! They have 12 copies - all on the shelf! I'll have to see when we might could work it in. We just finished Y3, so it may have to wait until next summer... But I can start looking at it. 

Thanks SO much for all the hard work! We love AO!!   :)
Niki in mid-TN  [Coffee, Neelix. Black.]
2022.2023:  ds16 (Y11)dd18 (Graduated - off to college!)
Using AO since the beginning!
The following 2 users Like nctmcalister's post:
  • MelisaH, phoebebopeep
I just ordered our Drop of Water. We have just begun Term 3 and will slip it neatly into the schedule. Can't wait.
The following 1 user Likes heathermarielee's post:
  • Amy Jo Hines
Well I must be getting better at this whole living book thing, cause I have all but one of the changes on my shelf ha!
I guess I can shift my book budget for languages woot!
2 Graduated, Year 11-ish, Year 9-ish
*post concussion shenanigans mean punctuation will be complicated at best*
The following 7 users Like MaggieAnnie's post:
  • *blue*j*, Amy Jo Hines, carpeaeternitatem, Kathy W., laurke, Lizzie Smith, rachelrw
I ordered my copy as soon as Karen suggested it to the AA. I was thrilled when I got it! You all will love it!
What would be the youngest age for a kid to understand "Drop of water"? Would year 1 be too young? My dd is very science (and math) minded so I was thinking I could read this book during our circle time with year 4 brother this coming fall.

Thank you AA!! Thanks to the Living science team! You ladies rock!!
Karla [Heart <3] Married to my best friend, mom to 10 year old Shark (ASD) and to 6 year old Rapunzel (NF1).  Enjoying year 4 and year 1!
The following 1 user Likes clay1416's post:
  • phoebebopeep
May I ask if there is any particular reason why it is scheduled for the first half of the year instead of spreading it out over the year?

Also, Jeanne, you said it's recommended to read the whole book first, then go back. Do you mean the parent reads it first, maybe over the summer, and then goes through it with the child? Or we should read it together sometime before we start week 1 so we're ready to re-read chapter 1 in week 1?
Emily in WI
The following 1 user Likes eawerner's post:
  • DaughterofEve
FYI... the link for the Yr 8 Hawking book is wrong... it goes to his Brief History of Time book.. not the Briefer History of Time that is recommended. Just thought I should let others know.
Rachel L. from Texas
The following 2 users Like rachelrw's post:
  • Amy Jo Hines, Janice
(06-12-2015, 05:41 AM)rachelrw Wrote: FYI... the link for the Yr 8 Hawking book is wrong... it goes to his Brief History of Time book.. not the Briefer History of Time that is recommended. Just thought I should let others know.

Thanks. We will fix this. You want The BriefER History. 
Jeanne in Australia
A Peaceful Day
The following 2 users Like Jeanne Webb's post:
  • Amy Jo Hines, rachelrw
(06-12-2015, 05:33 AM)eawerner Wrote: May I ask if there is any particular reason why it is scheduled for the first half of the year instead of spreading it out over the year?  

Also, Jeanne, you said it's recommended to read the whole book first, then go back.  Do you mean the parent reads it first, maybe over the summer, and then goes through it with the child?  Or we should read it together sometime before we start week 1 so we're ready to re-read chapter 1 in week 1?

It is scheduled over the first half so the winter experiments fall in... ahem... winter for most users.

The book is worth reading with your child more than once. I would read it through and marvel at the photos at least once before dividing it into sections for the demonstrations.
Jeanne in Australia
A Peaceful Day
The following 4 users Like Jeanne Webb's post:
  • Christy Hissong, DaughterofEve, Janice, MelisaH
(06-12-2015, 06:44 AM)Jeanne Webb Wrote: It is scheduled over the first half so the winter experiments fall in... ahem... winter for most users.

The book is worth reading with your child more than once. I would read it through and marvel at the photos at least once before dividing it into sections for the demonstrations.

I agree with Jeanne on this.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some Bible & Science Changes Donna-Jean 37 53,603 04-05-2023, 04:34 AM
Last Post: Mariel
  Year 9 Science AO Advisory 55 633,553 09-08-2021, 10:05 PM
Last Post: kgkat
  Folk Songs for the 2021-22 year!!! WendiC 10 36,644 08-11-2021, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Lani
  Folksongs for term 2 of the 2020-2021 Year WendiC 5 26,589 06-09-2021, 10:54 PM
Last Post: busyncmama
  Extra Plutarch year will be added AnneWhite 7 35,660 09-04-2020, 08:08 AM
Last Post: AnneWhite
  Folksongs for term 1, 2020/21 year WendiC 1 14,430 08-06-2020, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Genial
  Year 8 Napoleon's Buttons lklivingston 9 107,525 08-02-2020, 06:23 AM
Last Post: verkom
  Year 1 Guidebook lklivingston 4 26,057 07-16-2020, 01:43 AM
Last Post: Saejstrobel
  Year 6 Bible Change lklivingston 0 12,942 10-16-2019, 07:55 AM
Last Post: lklivingston
  Year 7 Free Read Change lklivingston 10 139,279 04-17-2019, 03:00 AM